Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #481
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Oh, going back to this thread made me remember this question I had - can you use iTunes gift cards to make purchases like loading up money on your Starbucks app? I have been trying to figure out if there is a worthwhile purpose of getting those discounted iTunes gift cards that go on sale very so often. If I could use them for something besides the iTunes store, they would be a good deal.
You can use them to pay your taxes...

Or get arrested...your choice.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #482
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
You can use them to pay your taxes...

Or get arrested...your choice.
Wait, what?

I can pay my taxes with itunes gift cards? And if I don't then I'll get arrested?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #483
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone with an AMEX card they have a new promotion starting and running for the next two months. If you travel through YYZ you can get a statement credit by shopping at the duty free there.

Centurion is $500 credit when you spend $500.
Platinum is $200 credit when you spend $200.
Cobalt is $50 credit when you spend $50.

Other cards are $50 credit when you spend $250.

Details should be emailed to account holders or can be found at RFD (https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amer...-more-2154557/)

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 12-18-2017 at 04:35 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #484
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wait, what?

I can pay my taxes with itunes gift cards? And if I don't then I'll get arrested?
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/itunes-gift-card-scams
Old 12-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #485
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
Amex Personal Gold Card is no longer first year free from today! It has been 7 years....
The Amex Gold Business Plat is still first year free and 40k bonus:
https://idap-e3.americanexpress.com/...CPID=100188662
Finally reached $5000 spend and received the 40k points, but I am not sure if I should transfer the points to Aeroplan or I should just book flights with Amex travel which also offer tiered rewards for flights now.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM   #486
Hammertime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Totally depends what you want to do with the points.

If you want to fly, definitely convert them to Aeroplan. 1 Aeroplan point equals about 1.3 cents, depending on the ticket you redeem.

If you want to use the points for other travel related activities, or for merchandise, keep them with Amex MR. You can also link your Amex MR account with your amazon account, and use your MR points directly for Amazon purchases. Keep in mind that 1 Amex MR point equals between 0.5-1 cent. So you are getting less value for MR.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #487
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Totally depends what you want to do with the points.

If you want to fly, definitely convert them to Aeroplan. 1 Aeroplan point equals about 1.3 cents, depending on the ticket you redeem.

If you want to use the points for other travel related activities, or for merchandise, keep them with Amex MR. You can also link your Amex MR account with your amazon account, and use your MR points directly for Amazon purchases. Keep in mind that 1 Amex MR point equals between 0.5-1 cent. So you are getting less value for MR.
Thanks for the advise. I eventually transferred the points to SPG points then transferred to Marriott points. This way I got about 70k Marriott points because of the 1:3 conversion rate from SPG to Marriott.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #488
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm thinking about switching from the CIBC Visa Aerogold to RBC Avion... Aeroplan sucks, since all the flights I actually want to take are never available, from the limited selections that you get offered in the first place. You also have to pay all taxes and fees in addition to the points. Aside from the travel insurance, I've had just about enough of this extremely immobile rewards program. Did I mention Aeroplan sucks?

Does someone use Avion and what's been your experience having it?
I use it all the time. It has worked well for me. I've always got the flights I've wanted.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 AM   #489
Mark
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anybody have the Home Trust Visa? I was interested in a no fee card with 0% foreign exchange conversion fees as a good secondary card. I applied a few weeks ago, but it sounds like their processing times are long with no communication.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #490
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Does anybody have the Home Trust Visa? I was interested in a no fee card with 0% foreign exchange conversion fees as a good secondary card. I applied a few weeks ago, but it sounds like their processing times are long with no communication.
Yeah I've been waiting for a month now. Some on RFD have wait for 1.5-2 months.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:26 AM   #491
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Applied last week. Hoping it'll come in time for my May LAX trip
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:59 PM   #492
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Need to get a new credit card now that Amazon Visa is done for, any recommendations or promotions happening?
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #493
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I got it after a 3 week wait.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #494
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Need to get a new credit card now that Amazon Visa is done for, any recommendations or promotions happening?
Depends which features you need. If you want the no foreign exchange fee, try the Home Trust Visa.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #495
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was thinking of switching from RBC Avion to the BMO mastercard world elite. I only got the RBC card last year in July, but I am unhappy with the way points are being collected. With my spending patterns, I think the BMO mastercard would be better. I do one pretty big trip with my wife every year and I think I would generate more BMO mastercard points and can take advantage of airport lounges (ETA: using the airport lounges is a big deal. If Avion had it, I would not switch)

My question is, since I picked up an RBC Avion card last year in July, by how much would my credit score drop by if I were to cancel Avion and apply for BMO mastecard? For the last 12 years, except for two instances early on, I've paid down my monthly credit card balance to zero.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #496
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone checked out/got one of these:
https://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/ban...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Seems to be ahead of the Westjet card as far as travel cards go, but was curious to see if anyone else has the HSBC card...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #497
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Honestly the Free PC World Elite MasterCard I heard about on here has been great. Use it for all my business expenses and can redeem for around $120 worth of free groceries monthly. You can redeem them at the self serve check-outs with a press of a button
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:37 AM   #498
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought that a credit card company could block transactions but I guess not. I have Capital One Aspire World Elite. I took a trial on a health product and now they want to send me their product forever and forever. Capital One says they can’t block these future transactions so I have to send the unused product back to the retailer. It’s annoying.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #499
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I thought that a credit card company could block transactions but I guess not. I have Capital One Aspire World Elite. I took a trial on a health product and now they want to send me their product forever and forever. Capital One says they can’t block these future transactions so I have to send the unused product back to the retailer. It’s annoying.
Odd, I had that problem once. However, when I contacted the merchant regarding stopping further payments, and they responded unfavorably, I just told them that I would contact Visa to cancel further orders, and they acquiesced.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #500
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I called Capital One twice hoping for a different answer. Both times I was told that I must deal with the seller.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points