Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #181
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

After two weeks of waiting I finally heard back and I got the job. I'm still hoping I can get a 3D job but atleast I'll have money coming in. It was at the point where after I take money out today I'll have less than a grand in my bank account.

Last edited by Inferno; 10-19-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #182
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

great job man

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #183
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I might be left as the only occupant here.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #184
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I believe in you.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:55 AM   #185
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
After two weeks of waiting I finally heard back and I got the job. I'm still hoping I can get a 3D job but atleast I'll have money coming in. It was at the point where after I put money in today I'll have less than a grand in my bank account.
Congrats!!!
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 12:10 PM   #186
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Wonder how Yamer is doing...
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 01:04 PM   #187
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I take it you don't subscribe to the belief that the energy you put out is the energy you get back? The world works in mysterious ways. I'm sure you'll end up in exactly the position that you were meant to be in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #188
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would like to post a question here:

How long did it take you from the day your company left you to actually starting on a new job?

For me, it took an average of 4-5 months from the day I was laid off to the first day I started my new job...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #189
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I would like to post a question here:

How long did it take you from the day your company left you to actually starting on a new job?

For me, it took an average of 4-5 months from the day I was laid off to the first day I started my new job...
It has always been the same for me as well. 4 months or so.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #190
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're not, unfortunately.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #191
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You're not.

Haven't heard back from them yet... Still a few more hours in the day. HR usually takes forever when it comes to hiring. Gotta make sure all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed I guess. The two day turn around that I was promised on Wednesday was ambitious at best.

Ugh the waiting game royally sucks.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM   #192
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a job at the moment either. But i'm not actively looking at the moment. Heading to South America in December for a year, but when i'm back, i'll be in this thread, so save me a spot, hah.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #193
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
However the position is strictly work from home, I've never done that before, could be cool. But I'm hoping that I can get some feed back from CalgaryPuck in terms of the benefits and pitfalls of working from home.
I worked from home for about 3 years and loved it. In my situation, the job is in marketing running websites in the software industry. I had worked at a small company and we were acquired by Dell. So I was transferred into my new department where my boss was up in Chicago, most of our team was on the west coast and we even had some folks in China. So location became irrelevant and instead of going into the old office I got switched to remote.

Over the 3 years, we were sold again twice so there was tons of turbulence in bosses and goals and such. I never felt that working from home specifically caused any issues, though I did feel somewhat like an outcast because at different points my team was pretty centralized together and had that camaraderie.

I was fortunate that my bosses always were flexible about hours especially considering time zones and when others were in office. As long as my work was getting completed, they were fine with me not working early, late, weekends, holidays, etc.

From the personal standpoint it was great being able to be home. The day I got the email saying my work from home was approved was the day our first son was born. So all of the baby drama was so much easier to deal with not having to go into the office and leave my wife alone all day. I was able to go to doctors appointments and anything else without ever having to ask or worry about it. Once we started using daycare, I was able to take them in the morning and not worry about getting ready. I was able to help out my wife when she got home from work and was settling in or preparing for dinner. I could run errands, work on my honey do list, catch up on the DVR, or anything else I could squeeze into the schedule. I didn't have to spent near as much time in traffic. Best of all for me, I just had a quiet work environment and I didn't have to put up with coworkers and their annoying habits!

I eventually got downsized after the 3rd acquisition. Luckily for me, I got a job right away. I applied for it 2 hours after getting let go, and from the time I was let go until my first day at the new job was a total of 15 days. I do have to come back into the office, but at least I found something quick!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #194
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm just about finished revising and stripping down my resume to apply for interim part-time work, and I was wondering if I should remove my education and accomplishments from my resume? Specifically my Communications degree and some of the work and acknowledgements I received during my time at University.

I've parsed down my skills and previous job descriptions to coincide with someone that is perfectly qualified for these kinds of jobs. I just don't want to turn off any potential employers by appearing too overqualified and a flight risk (even though I am).

Thanks in advance.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:49 PM   #195
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nope I would leave my education in and acknowledgements, it shows a pattern of work.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #196
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would leave in the education, but take out the awards unless it was quite recent.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #197
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow a good day I guess and a lousy day all in one.

I had an interview scheduled this afternoon that was a third interview, I arrived for it, and they informed me that they had made an offer to another candidate but would still like to have the interview as a backfill for them in case she doesn't work out.

Then I had a morning phone call for a role that I'm hoping for an offer from, and he moved it to tomorrow as he had to catch up on things.

I did garner a couple of net new interviews for later this week, so that's good. But realistically the companies that are hiring are starting to come across as a bit arrogant in terms of knowing that there are lots of people out of work.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:20 PM   #198
ooogabooga
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m having a similar issue, went through 2 interviews for a position. Both felt very positive was told I would hear something last Thursday. Tried to follow up and found out that the hiring manager was sick and not in the office, fair enough I understand people get sick. Contact them today and am told I will know soon, and then later on today see a new job posting for the position that I have interviewed for and was lead to believe that I am a leading candidate for the position.
ooogabooga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #199
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'll be joining these ranks, soon.

My boss's boss has a (well earned) reputation for pushing people out of the company when he feels that his will is not being followed as an uber-god. I've seen a lot of people in a management position leave or pushed out over my tenure. I've kept my head down.

My mistake was pointing out that the store I manage was going to increase revenue by a significant margin over the course of the year, and that I would like to discuss the possibility of a pay increase. I have been underpaid by market standards for the duration of my time there.

What I could only call bullying started occurring the next week, when instead of the compensation meeting for which I prepared, we had a meeting discussing any minor issue I've had over the last three years (some of them quite petty and ridiculous) and how I'm being put on probation. I've never been formally chastised for anything in the past.

This months gross revenue increase is hovering around 20%, and I'm being given 'remedial training' starting this second week, since my request.

I am beyond frustrated. I'm looking into buying a competing existing store. I'm also not looking forward to searching for a new job, especially since I'm basically living month to month now.

Sorry for bringing the thread down, CP is about as close as I'll get to therapy.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #200
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I think I'll be joining these ranks, soon.

My boss's boss has a (well earned) reputation for pushing people out of the company when he feels that his will is not being followed as an uber-god. I've seen a lot of people in a management position leave or pushed out over my tenure. I've kept my head down.

My mistake was pointing out that the store I manage was going to increase revenue by a significant margin over the course of the year, and that I would like to discuss the possibility of a pay increase. I have been underpaid by market standards for the duration of my time there.

What I could only call bullying started occurring the next week, when instead of the compensation meeting for which I prepared, we had a meeting discussing any minor issue I've had over the last three years (some of them quite petty and ridiculous) and how I'm being put on probation. I've never been formally chastised for anything in the past.

This months gross revenue increase is hovering around 20%, and I'm being given 'remedial training' starting this second week, since my request.

I am beyond frustrated. I'm looking into buying a competing existing store. I'm also not looking forward to searching for a new job, especially since I'm basically living month to month now.

Sorry for bringing the thread down, CP is about as close as I'll get to therapy.
Not a lawyer, but I would document EVERYTHING and see if there is a constructive dismissal case.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
job search , jobs , unemployed