Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #2001
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Thats a good one, Brian Gerwitz would have been a great head writer for them, but I think he works directly for the Rock now.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #2002
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Owen Hart episode of dark side of the ring is gutting.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #2003
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

RAW has NXT talent in the crowd this week and has clear barriers around the ring and entrance so it looks like a rink.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #2004
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha, I see that - and just when I bitched earlier about their empty arena setup.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #2005
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Using jobbers to fill the crowds? I wonder where they got the idea from? Lol. But it’s way better than leaving it empty. Wrestling events are like half audience reactions

Though I think they went too far with those plexiglass walls. Just looks terrible so far
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #2006
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even with two veterans, Jax still looks sloppy in the ring
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:07 PM   #2007
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I will agree with Captain in that while I really liked Stadium Stampede, that AEW hasn't been great recently.

Overbooked, and story telling hasn't been great. Plus some weird booking decisions with tying Hardy to the The Elite and Brodie Lee to the Dark Order.

IMO it still feels a little bit like Cody Rhodes is trying to hard to make AEW feel like WCW from when he was a kid. And limiting some of their singles stars by tying them into bloated factions.

Guys like Hager, Hardy, and Brodie Lee shouldn't have been put right into factions IMO. The needed fresh fueds and characters and by putting these guys into factions right out the gate that just limits your opportunities of how to use them.

What affiliation did Hardy have with the elite? Why is Hager playing second fiddle to Jericho in the Inner Circle? Stuff like that just hurts your roster.

It's the same way WCW started debuting guys by instantly throwing them into one of the NWO's during that era.

Plus it will be interesting to see how long they can actually hold off just booking The Elite on top. They've done an okay job so far, but Cody going over Lance Archer in what was a mostly clean match felt like the first time they really squashed somebody's momentum by feeding them to the Elite.

They're sorta in a holding pattern right now, but presumably when things normalize they'll do the Page/Omega breakup and have the Revival come in to work with the Bucks.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:08 PM   #2008
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm tired of them giving constant pushes on Jax, she has next to no talent in the ring, she's lousy on the mic, she hurts other girls because she doesn't know what she's doing, she hasn't gotten any better and I don't think she works that hard at it.

Basically they have jammed a lot more talented workers behind her because of her family connection.

Her logic last week whining that Asuka was lucky to win the title was so eye blindingly stupid, she actually won Money in the bank, she didn't do the usual cash in on an exhausted component.

There's literally nothing that I like about Nia Jax the performer, if she wasn't part of Samoa royalty and related to the rock who she name drops every two posts on twitter, she'd probably be selling perfume at sears.

She's single handedly destroyed the credibility of the woman's division for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 11:48 PM   #2009
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Nia Jax is cringeworthy to watch, always has been. Just not a good in the ring or on the mic. Hate that she gets super pushes above more talented performers.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #2010
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I liked Jake in WWE at the start when they put him with a solid manager in Dutch Mantell and had a great gimmick with him "We the people". I still think that the one angle that he did when he had an appreciation night that ended up getting wrecked was his best work.

He's frankly a guy that's not a good comedy piece. He should have been booked as an absolute Alpha Dog Killer heel on his own from the start.

Brodie Lee had the same problems in WWE once he started not giving a crap. He's just flat on the mic, and in his matches there's absolutely no desire, no energy, he's paint by numbers. The Brodie Lee on the independents and the Brodie Lee in NXT he was awesome and crazy.

The WWE curse strikes again.

I agree with the assesment that this is WCW style booking, and probably booking on the fly. It feels like they don't have a experienced guy that can step back and look at the big picture of the whole f'n show, and how things interweve and where the logic is.

Instead it feels like the booking meetings are probably "You know what would be cool" or "Man that's hilarious lets do that". Booking like that, and man I loved faction war fare, but booking on the fly or what's cool to the bookers leads to really poor booking decisions, and hot shot angles and things that don't make sense, or things that have no logic to them, and it burns out audiences.

Honestly, AEW really needs to go out and get a Heyman or a Cornette (Don't say Russo, or I'll dive through your screen and punch you in the throat). Or even a guy like Jericho with a serious filter guy to hold his reigns a bit to do it.

Actually and to be honest, Cornette would probably be the best thing in this role because he has no patience or filter when he deals with angles and writing. So they'd have a guy in the board room saying you know what would be awesome. Cornette would blow a gasket and at least ask why in the content of the whole show does this make any fracking sense.
You know who'd be a good booker for AEW? I'm trying to remember his last name, but the Vince guy who isn't McMahon. Was with WWE in the 90's, then WCW and TNA after that.... Vince... ugh... can't remember.

He was awesome, AEW needs a good Thong Panty on a Pole Match!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #2011
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Vince Russo! Judy Bagwell on a Pole match! JR ripoffs! David Arquette as champion!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #2012
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
You know who'd be a good booker for AEW? I'm trying to remember his last name, but the Vince guy who isn't McMahon. Was with WWE in the 90's, then WCW and TNA after that.... Vince... ugh... can't remember.

He was awesome, AEW needs a good Thong Panty on a Pole Match!

You know as bad as Vince Russo was, and he was horrific, I have to admit in the end, that I watched WCW just to see how bad and out of control it was.

I did feel bad for him in one aspect. At one point he did the worst thing that he can do and that is move in front of the camera, and he booked himself to win the WCW championship. At one point he was defending his title in a cage and he was wearing a hockey helmet because he had a severe concussion.

But his crash TV approach was brilliantly terrible, his justifications that he had improved WCW ratings was hilarious. His calling Hogan a big bald bastard lead to a legitimate lawsuit.

The ongoing feud between him and Cornette is awesome.

Old 05-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #2013
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I love Cornette's hate for Russo.

Its so rich and thick, you could drizzle it on pancakes... pancakes on a pole!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #2014
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What a surprise

Quote:
According to Fightful, former NXT and women’s tag champion Kairi Sane was hurt during a singles-matchup against Nia Jax. The report states that Sane sustained a cut on her head while outside the ring, and the bout was temporarily stopped so the on-site medical team could attend to her. They resumed the match shortly after.

It will still the horrific image of the year with Jax going to smash Sane into the corner and Sane screaming in terror and saying she wasn't set.

And they're going to give Jax another run as Champ. Just you watch.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #2015
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I love Cornette's hate for Russo.

Its so rich and thick, you could drizzle it on pancakes... pancakes on a pole!

My daily religion at the church of Cornette

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk...GavQJy2UAYhfXA

Old 05-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #2016
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It will still the horrific image of the year with Jax going to smash Sane into the corner and Sane screaming in terror and saying she wasn't set.
Not that I don't think Nia needs to work safer but I've read posts from people who know Japanese saying that Kairi actually said "Hanase!" which is is a "rude" way of saying "Let me go!"
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:07 AM   #2017
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Fair enough, I swear I an a bunch of people heard her screaming I'm not set.

It doesn't matter, that was one of Nia's far more dangerous spots. Cornette was over the moon pissed at her sloppiness, since there was an independent wrestler that was seriously hurt in the same way.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #2018
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, lots of appearances tonight. FTR (The Revival), Mike Tyson, Henry Cejudo, Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans.... and the episode wasn't even that good tonight.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 PM   #2019
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Wow, lots of appearances tonight. FTR (The Revival), Mike Tyson, Henry Cejudo, Vitor Belfort, Rashad Evans.... and the episode wasn't even that good tonight.

The last few TV episodes have been not that good.

The booking to me still remains a problem and now they're really following the WCW path with hotshoting new appearances. I hear that Kiss is doing a concert next week, followed by an appearance by GrandMaster P and Vampiro.

It'll be interesting to see if the Revival works out there, the last few WWE cast offs have been terrible, and honestly their roster is getting ridiculously large.

Personally I really thing that they need to simplify their booking.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #2020
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I’m not sure hot shotting guys like Cage and Archer only to feed them to Mox/Cody makes a lot of sense.

Especially when you have guys like Omega and Page wasted as a tag team right now. Plus I feel like it would make more sense for Mox and Inner Circle fued to have continued.

To me it still feel very much like 1998-2001 WCW, which I’m not sure is a good thing.

The one thing I do like is the new Hardy ability of being able to change between his “versions”

Edit: Also the TNT championship is hideous

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-27-2020 at 10:05 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote