Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Calgary and Alberta Filming Thread

We have a big thread on The Last of Us but there are a bunch of other filming projects that I have encountered around town in the last few years and I thought we could consolidate a thread for miscellaneous projects people might like to know about for castings, sightings, or just to watch if you like to see our city and province on screen.

Current:

- Under the Banner of Heaven - Just heard this FX series was filming in Alberta and will be filming in the Capitol Hill neighborhood tomorrow. This is a series with Andrew Garfield and Sam Worthington that seems to be some kind of Mormon murder mystery

- The Last of Us

Completed:

- Fargo the TV series seasons 1-3, various cast sightings all around town

- Tin Star. Bumped into Christina Hendricks at my downtown condo elevator at the times those were filmed

- Ghostbusters Afterlife, mostly in small town Alberta but original cast including Sigourney Weaver were at downtown restaurants. Adam Savage filmed a bunch of his GB Tested Youtube episodes at the Calgary Film Center.

- Interstellar, Okotoks ball park and various other places
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Here's the IMDB list of movies/shows filmed in Calgary:
https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?l...erta%2C+Canada
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was told a Kate Beckinsale show (I thought it was a movie, but see from that list more likely a show) was filming just off Northmount and 14th Street NW a few months ago. I wondered if it was at the new Moose McGuires location, as the parking lot was packed with white cube vans/trailers.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I was told a Kate Beckinsale show (I thought it was a movie, but see from that list more likely a show) was filming just off Northmount and 14th Street NW a few months ago. I wondered if it was at the new Moose McGuires location, as the parking lot was packed with white cube vans/trailers.
Guilty Party. I guess it's already out and the reviews aren't great.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #5
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I just shot a video of my cat.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Exit Wounds is up on Netflix now. I threw it on just to watch the Centre St bridge scene. (The rest of the film was shot in Toronto) Still fun to watch an action scene in a familiar setting.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:10 PM   #7
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

- Joe Pickett just finished filming and “Skulls” aka new Predator movie also wrapped around the end of September. Both were filmed at various locations in Morley, Bragg Creek and along the Bow River east of Okotoks.

- Billy the Kid finished up filming season 1 late October at various southern Alberta locations as well and they are back filming at least 1 more season starting in the spring.

- Fraggle Rock is filming another season back at the Calgary Film Studio as well.

Disney/Fox has also taken out a 5 year lease on Studio space in the Calgary area and Paramount has signed a 3 year lease as well. Next year should be just as active for filming at this year and I will post more info as I find it out.

Last edited by Gundo; 01-06-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2022, 11:31 PM   #8
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I just shot a video of my cat.
I film the mountains sometimes. It's a rather ambitious little project if I do say.

Critical reception (my friends) is positive.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #9
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
We have a big thread on The Last of Us but there are a bunch of other filming projects that I have encountered around town in the last few years and I thought we could consolidate a thread for miscellaneous projects people might like to know about for castings, sightings, or just to watch if you like to see our city and province on screen.

Current:

- Under the Banner of Heaven - Just heard this FX series was filming in Alberta and will be filming in the Capitol Hill neighborhood tomorrow. This is a series with Andrew Garfield and Sam Worthington that seems to be some kind of Mormon murder mystery

- The Last of Us

Completed:

- Fargo the TV series seasons 1-3, various cast sightings all around town

- Tin Star. Bumped into Christina Hendricks at my downtown condo elevator at the times those were filmed

- Ghostbusters Afterlife, mostly in small town Alberta but original cast including Sigourney Weaver were at downtown restaurants. Adam Savage filmed a bunch of his GB Tested Youtube episodes at the Calgary Film Center.

- Interstellar, Okotoks ball park and various other places
Lol OT but my jaw would need to be wired shut for it not to smash the floor if I were to "bump" into Christina Hendricks lol.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 12:25 PM   #10
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H21e...hannel=AppleTV

Fraggle Rock filmed here last year, new trailer dropped yesterday. Out in two weeks on Apple TV+
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol OT but my jaw would need to be wired shut for it not to smash the floor if I were to "bump" into Christina Hendricks lol.
She looked like the average person going out to walk her dog in winter clothes. Most celebs/athletes look like normal people. Dougie Hamilton lived in my condo too and I bumped into him in the elevator. I should have asked him what his favorite museums were.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Exit Wounds is up on Netflix now. I threw it on just to watch the Centre St bridge scene. (The rest of the film was shot in Toronto) Still fun to watch an action scene in a familiar setting.
This is where the guy dived off the bridge into the bow river to escape the attack? In real life he would have hit the bottom and died lol
Old 01-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #13
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
She looked like the average person going out to walk her dog in winter clothes. Most celebs/athletes look like normal people. Dougie Hamilton lived in my condo too and I bumped into him in the elevator. I should have asked him what his favorite museums were.
I think that went over your head a bit. When you said bumped into her, I of course was immediately thinking of one of her well known assets, and thus my comment was envisioning physically bumping into that asset.

Though, I would bet she is still uncommonly attractive in dog walking get up compared to the average inhabitant of your condo building.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2022, 03:34 PM   #14
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think that went over your head a bit. When you said bumped into her, I of course was immediately thinking of one of her well known assets, and thus my comment was envisioning physically bumping into that asset.

Though, I would bet she is still uncommonly attractive in dog walking get up compared to the average inhabitant of your condo building.
Totally. She's at least 14% hotter than Dougie Hamilton.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:59 AM   #15
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
This is where the guy dived off the bridge into the bow river to escape the attack? In real life he would have hit the bottom and died lol
Yep, Seagal throws the guy (the US Vice President) off the bridge to save him. The shot from the bridge even shows that the river is quite shallow and rocky underneath so I thought the same thing, but they do actually show a stuntman doing the jump from a different angle, so somebody did it and survived. Or possibly had a crash mat below the surface.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:17 PM   #16
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quick update:

Under the Banner of Heaven - just wrapped shooting, doing a few small reshoots.

Last of Us - Season 1 filming wraps end of March with Season 2 staring again to film in May/June. Potential 3rd season in discussions as well.

Netflix - mini Series dubbed Two Harvies (I could be incorrect on this) starting to film in mid-March going to camera in Mid-April until September.

Amazon - Unnamed mini series filming March - September

Joe Pickett - Season 2 projected April/May start

Billy the Kid Season 2 - Projected June/July start

I will update more as I find out.

Last edited by Gundo; 02-05-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2022, 08:13 PM   #17
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

An Amazon production based on the memoir of twin singers Tegan and Sara was (still is?) filming in the Mount Pleasent area today.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 09:47 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
An Amazon production based on the memoir of twin singers Tegan and Sara was (still is?) filming in the Mount Pleasent area today.
Makes sense as it's their hometown. I think they were filming in their highschool.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundo View Post
Quick update:

Under the Banner of Heaven - just wrapped shooting, doing a few small reshoots.

Last of Us - Season 1 filming wraps end of March with Season 2 staring again to film in May/June. Potential 3rd season in discussions as well.

Netflix - mini Series dubbed Two Harvies (I could be incorrect on this) starting to film in mid-March going to camera in Mid-April until September.

Amazon - Unnamed mini series filming March - September

Joe Pickett - Season 2 projected April/May start

Billy the Kid Season 2 - Projected June/July start

I will update more as I find out.
I talked to a PA who was working on set cleanup on The Last of Us. She said she worked on Under the Banner of Heaven and that trying to pretend that Calgary was Missouri was ridiculous during the cold spells. They were chipping away at ice with shovels and trying to clear everything off to pretend it was summer!
Old 04-07-2022, 11:12 PM   #20
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Makes sense as it's their hometown. I think they were filming in their highschool.
Yeah, from what I heard it will be a pretty scathing view of Calgary as a really bad place to grow up as gay.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote