Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #261
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
But if the ratings tanks over the next months, then it could solidifty Ken as the permanent host.
They just have to move away from Mayim. She is just bad at it.

And seriously, I like watching Jeopardy with my wife before we go to bed and I tolerate Bialik because I really like Jeopardy but my wife cannot stand her and if she stops watching Jeopardy with me then thats probably it for Jeopardy until Ken comes back.

Stop trying to make Mayim a thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2022, 04:02 PM   #262
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

During her last run as host, I ended up only watching Final Jeopardy.

She is condescending and is always trying to make the show about her.

She ruins Jeopardy.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:14 PM   #263
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Jackson-Hartfield is the busiest airport in the world.
It isn't O'Hare anymore?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:32 PM   #264
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
During her last run as host, I ended up only watching Final Jeopardy.

She is condescending and is always trying to make the show about her.

She ruins Jeopardy.
It is amazing how much I can learn to detest someone who is only on-air for around 20 minutes.

She's not good at it and she detracts from the show.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #265
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
It isn't O'Hare anymore?
Hasn't been since 1998.

O'Hare isn't even the second-busiest in the States anymore. It was passed by LAX about a decade ago. In 2019, O'Hare was 6th globally behind Atlanta, Beijing, LAX, Dubai, and Tokyo.

Both Denver and Dallas passed O'Hare and LAX in 2020 and 2021, but that likely won't hold once things get back to normal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...senger_traffic
Old 05-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #266
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do they keep switching hosts? Is a producer too scared to make a decision either way?

When Jennings hosts it feels like he is the heir apparent to Trebek and is continuing the legacy of the greatest game show ever. When Bailik hosts it’s feels like just another average game show.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:10 PM   #267
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bailik just doesnt have the flow that Trebek or Jennings has. Its always a lull and just feels chaotic when time gets short.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:58 PM   #268
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Why do they keep switching hosts? Is a producer too scared to make a decision either way?

When Jennings hosts it feels like he is the heir apparent to Trebek and is continuing the legacy of the greatest game show ever. When Bailik hosts it’s feels like just another average game show.
I heard that they both had prior commitments this year, so neither could commit full time to Jeopardy. Bialik has her sitcom and I think I read somewhere that she directed a movie this year too. Jennings was on The Chase.

A few weeks ago, it was announced that he wouldn't be returning to The Chase next season, which led to speculation that he'll be taking over full-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Bailik just doesnt have the flow that Trebek or Jennings has. Its always a lull and just feels chaotic when time gets short.
Maybe that's why they're having her do a longer run now, to see if she can get into the rhythm. So far, she has only been doing a few weeks in a row, which is only a few days of actual tapings followed by a long break.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:37 AM   #269
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

So we are 18 months since Trebek last hosted and passed. Do you guys feel the host replacement process has helped or hurt the show in its quality and/or popularity?

For me, I think the fact its dragged on this long is not a good look. I think the initial attention certainly kept some people interested that might not be regular watchers, but at this point, is it now a net negative for the show. I am glad there have been some noteworthy contestants like Mattea to at least generate buzz for the show outside of host drama.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #270
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Last night I found particularly bad

Usually when a contestant is very close to an answer the host (Alex/Ken) would hesitate for a moment before ruling.

"What is Yellow Brick Road" *pause to give time to immediately correct.

No sooner was Road out of his mouth did she rule incorrect. You could tell as he finished he caught his mistake, but couldn't correct.

Then later the clue about the McDonald's founder a contestant answered "Roy Kroc" which is incorrect.

Then the next contestant answered "Kroc" without a first name, which is correct.

However, Myiam didn't point out the correct first name. I like when the host does that, but in these circumstances in the past, the host purposely points out the full correct answer.

While this wasn't last night I like that Ken will give another pause if a contestant forgets their phrasing. Myiam does not. Immediately rules incorrect.

I'm really hoping that Ken gets the gig full-time.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:56 AM   #271
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
So we are 18 months since Trebek last hosted and passed. Do you guys feel the host replacement process has helped or hurt the show in its quality and/or popularity?

For me, I think the fact its dragged on this long is not a good look. I think the initial attention certainly kept some people interested that might not be regular watchers, but at this point, is it now a net negative for the show. I am glad there have been some noteworthy contestants like Mattea to at least generate buzz for the show outside of host drama.

I don't think it's helped, but the unexpected run of super champions has made it way less of an issue. I think the show is actually more popular now than Trebek's final years after Holzhauer's streak ended.

Reason it's dragged on like this is because of Mike Richards. Used his power as Executive Producer to set up the initial run of guests hosts under the guise of an "audition", when he actually planned to make himself host all along.

Also influenced which guest hosts were screened for focus groups and showed them the worst clips of Ken to hurt his chances of getting the job. And he actually got away with it, since he was named host of the regular Jeopardy and Mayim was named host of primetime version at the start of this season. Thankfully he got axed quickly and there's a new showrunner now. It's probably also why Ken is introduced as "now hosting Jeopardy" instead of Mayim's "the host of Jeopardy", he wasn't signed as an official host and is just a consulting producer who is filling in as host.

I would love it if they named Ken as host of both the regular and primetime versions, but I'll also take Ken and Mayim if it means Ken hosts the regular version. I suspect most of us don't watch the primetime version anyway. I am pretty positive about Ken's chances since he's dropped all his other gameshow commitments and I'd be surprised if he wasn't named an official host for next season.

Last edited by mile; 05-10-2022 at 11:58 AM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #272
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I agree with everything mile says except one.

I like that Johnny says "Hosting Jeopardy!" for Ken. If it becomes Ken the regular host and Myaim Primetime Host, I'd like him to switch to "Hosting Jeopardy!" for Myiam too.

A very subtle nod to Trebek as "the host of Jeopardy".

Kind of like how Paul Heyman refuses to refer to himself as manager because he believes Bobby Heenan is the GOAT.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #273
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with everything mile says except one.

I like that Johnny says "Hosting Jeopardy!" for Ken. If it becomes Ken the regular host and Myaim Primetime Host, I'd like him to switch to "Hosting Jeopardy!" for Myiam too.

A very subtle nod to Trebek as "the host of Jeopardy".

Kind of like how Paul Heyman refuses to refer to himself as manager because he believes Bobby Heenan is the GOAT.
Yeah, that’s a good point. Ken might’ve requested that he be introduced as such out of respect for Alex.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:36 PM   #274
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biyak is still terrible
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 04:51 AM   #275
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Biyak is still terrible
In yesterday's game this clue drove me nuts.

The amplitude of a wave in physics is the distance from the center line to either of these two points also found on an ocean wave.

The contestant answered "crest"

No sooner did his lips close did she rule incorrct.

The correct answer "crest and trough"

Alex, Ken, anyone that can actually host the show, would gave paused and waited as an indication that they needed more.

Because of the quick no, even if that contestant didn't get it. The other contestants know they're looking for a two part answer. But now they think "crest" is definitely wrong because of how it was immediately dismissed out of hand.

There are sublteties to the game she just doesn't get.

Now in fairness to Myiam, she never watched Jeopardy, so really she's been setup to fail. She needs to be taught these little things and clearly she hasn't been.

Might have been part of Mike Richards' plan. Have them both host so it doesn't seem sketchy that he was named host. Then the backlash on Myiam would leave him the permanent host. Which is what's happening, only with Ken.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:55 AM   #276
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My seemingly highly unpopular opinion: Myiam is better than Ken.

I find Ken pretentious while Myiam is more down to earth and relatable.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #277
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In yesterday's game this clue drove me nuts.

The amplitude of a wave in physics is the distance from the center line to either of these two points also found on an ocean wave.

The contestant answered "crest"

No sooner did his lips close did she rule incorrct.

The correct answer "crest and trough"

Alex, Ken, anyone that can actually host the show, would gave paused and waited as an indication that they needed more.

Because of the quick no, even if that contestant didn't get it. The other contestants know they're looking for a two part answer. But now they think "crest" is definitely wrong because of how it was immediately dismissed out of hand.

There are sublteties to the game she just doesn't get.

Now in fairness to Myiam, she never watched Jeopardy, so really she's been setup to fail. She needs to be taught these little things and clearly she hasn't been.

Might have been part of Mike Richards' plan. Have them both host so it doesn't seem sketchy that he was named host. Then the backlash on Myiam would leave him the permanent host. Which is what's happening, only with Ken.
I didn't see this, but how is that even wrong? If the clue is as you typed it (to either of these two points) and the guy answered one of the two, isn't that right?

Anyway...I'm not watching these days because I can't stand Bialik.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #278
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just seems like Mayim doesn’t do any preparation with researching the answers before each game. Sometimes she waits too long to rule an answer correct, sometimes she rules incorrect too quickly instead of saying “be more specific”. Knowing the “why” behind each answer would especially be helpful for Final, I would have loved to hear the explanation behind yesterday’s final.

Ultimately the show is about the game and contestants for me which is why I still watch, but it is concerning how she doesn’t seem to be improving.

They did announce Celebrity Jeopardy for prime time this fall. And with the news that her sitcom was renewed for another season, I’m hoping Mayim is limited to that version since it would be a better fit and leaves daytime to Ken.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:44 PM   #279
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I didn't see this, but how is that even wrong? If the clue is as you typed it (to either of these two points) and the guy answered one of the two, isn't that right?

Anyway...I'm not watching these days because I can't stand Bialik.
I'm sort of in the same boat, she did something and that was the last straw for my wife.

"Nope. Not watching this anymore, let me know when Ken is back."

Old 05-20-2022, 12:49 PM   #280
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The current run is interesting because the champ has won 5 in a row, so he's in the Champion's tournament, but at times it has been a real grind. He's going to get obliterated in the tourney.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double jeopardy , therapists , who is