Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #961
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #962
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Calgary is just a very hard market to time when buying a condo. Lots of land and very prone to booms and busts. Not only can demand suddenly drop off, but you pay a large premium during times with construction shortages.

For condo owners the good news is that condos are rising in price in Calgary.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2022, 08:09 PM   #963
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Calgary is just a very hard market to time when buying a condo. Lots of land and very prone to booms and busts. Not only can demand suddenly drop off, but you pay a large premium during times with construction shortages.

For condo owners the good news is that condos are rising in price in Calgary.
Hopefully.

I have a rental property in Mission. I originally lived in it, and paid $300, 10 yrs ago. It’s down 20%
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:26 PM   #964
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So who you gonna rent from if no one owns them?

Not every apartment rental is a condo unit.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:10 PM   #965
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Geez sounds like a society where only the rich own property and the rest pay them to live in perpetual servitude. Are we trying to emulate medieval Europe?

Also sounds like a great way to massively drive up house prices due to “low supply”, when really the issue is that speculators are buying up all the houses to price out your average middle class family.

Well good thing we don’t have to worry about that. No problems like that here or in other countries with out of control real estate markets.
wasn't saying it was a good thing, just answering the question.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:27 PM   #966
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I wish someone had told 24 year old me to not buy a condo. That decision delayed a house purchase when I had a family by several years, and ended up costing me a lot more over the years vs renting due to depreciation. I will make damn sure my kids don't make that same mistake
Its actually interesting.

I dont pretend to be an expert in Real Estate, it is not my jam.

But my sister moved out of our parents' house shortly before I did, she bought a Condo that my parents co-signed for.

Since they co-signed for her, they were financially unable to lend me the same assistance. So I moved out and got an apartment close to my work.

Fast forward a few years and she lost a lot of money on the sale of that Condo, I saved money, walked away from my apartment free and clear and purchased a house.

I think renting gets a bad rap, and, as a Condo owner now...you really have to do your due diligence.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 07:19 AM   #967
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So who you gonna rent from if no one owns them?
Rent in a purpose built apartment building, not a condo. Never have to worry about the place you’re renting being sold.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:39 AM   #968
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Geez sounds like a society where only the rich own property and the rest pay them to live in perpetual servitude. Are we trying to emulate medieval Europe?

Also sounds like a great way to massively drive up house prices due to “low supply”, when really the issue is that speculators are buying up all the houses to price out your average middle class family.

Well good thing we don’t have to worry about that. No problems like that here or in other countries with out of control real estate markets.
I have no idea how my children will afford a house. There has to be regulation and laws put in place restricting foreign speculators making it impossible for Canadians to afford their own home.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:11 AM   #969
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only people I know that made money off their townhouse or condo did it 10 years ago. The cruel reality is that these things live and die by the quality of the interior, which requires you to update it every 10 years, which is going to eat every bit of of money you were hoping to pull out of that thing as an investment.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:31 AM   #970
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dat backsplash tho
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #971
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Rent in a purpose built apartment building, not a condo. Never have to worry about the place you’re renting being sold.
Not quite true - if the price of condos increases - just like the last boom, developers will "convert" them to 'for sale units', and terminate / not renew leases.

Renters would then have to fall back to anything in either 1) the Condo Act of that province or ii) specific clauses in their lease agreement (with the former prevailing)
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #972
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Selling my condo this year. Gonna take the tax loss and move on.

Holding onto this depreciating asset in the hopes that in another decade I may make $1 of profit on my investment is starting to seem foolish.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:58 AM   #973
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The house we looked at over the weekend just sold for a hundred thousand over asking. People are doing crazy things right now.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #974
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I had no idea people had taken such a s**t kicking on condo purchases until this thread. Ouch.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #975
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I have no idea how my children will afford a house. There has to be regulation and laws put in place restricting foreign speculators making it impossible for Canadians to afford their own home.
Chances are we'll see an increased scenario like in other parts of the world where 1) you have more multi-generation households, and 2) the way children "buy" homes will be through inheritance.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #976
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
The house we looked at over the weekend just sold for a hundred thousand over asking. People are doing crazy things right now.
This is the ridiculous part. Where is this money coming from? Where are the people who can't afford their own place going - certainly not the condo market - or are we close to seeing the condo market bubble up?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:13 AM   #977
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The only people I know that made money off their townhouse or condo did it 10 years ago. The cruel reality is that these things live and die by the quality of the interior, which requires you to update it every 10 years, which is going to eat every bit of of money you were hoping to pull out of that thing as an investment.
This. Condo's in Calgary, a city with a fairly abundant supply of land, will always be a tough investment.

Physical homes (including Condos) ALWAYS depreciate. Land appreciates.

Nobody is lining up to pay more per sq. ft. for beige walls, earth tone granite counter tops and mahogany laminate.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2022, 09:22 AM   #978
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will never live in a condo again unless I physically can't live in a house anymore, and even then I'd probably go for a bungalow over any condo
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #979
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

BTW, when we're talking condos, do we mean the buildings that are like apartments where everybody walks into a main entrance and then scampers off to their individual unit (kind of like a hotel)? Or are the attached buildings with their own individual entrances from outside directly into the owners' units also considered condos in this conversation? Have both types of properties lost value over the past 10 years?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #980
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love living in a condo, but I live in a fairly dense neighbourhood with ton of services within easy walking distance. We are also fortunate to live in a nice building in a relatively large unit. Vancouver is a different ball game though.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote