Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #3221
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Z looks huge next to the Supra. I know the Supra is a bit of a decisive car but I think they look great in person and it's the lowest entry price to get into a BMW sports car with the sweet B58 engine. The top spec Z undercuts the Supra by a few thousand dollars but one car is a BMW and one is a Nissan so the build quality isn't remotely comparable and the Z is missing heads up display, wireless phone charging, dual zone climate control, etc. As a sports car fan I hope the Z does well as sales to justify automakers continuing to make cars like this. I just can't get over the Domo-kun front end.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:54 AM   #3222
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

While not the biggest fan of Nissans over the past 20 years, I really do like the new Z. I feel like the grill should bother me, but as we enter this phase of electric cars with nothing interesting happening in the grill area - designers seems stumped as to what to do in that location - I like that Nissan is loud and proud with their IC grill. I think this will actually age the car in an interesting way. Plus...it's just not ugly to me like I would expect if you were just describing it.

Interior looks nice and of this century, too, which is a huge step up for Nissan. Power delivery and handling sound great per the Savage Geese video. Doug Demuro didn't think it sounded good, but he acknowledged that people can tune that in the aftermarket quite easily. Personally, I think I'd be okay. Doug also thought the 370 sounded good and I think that car sounds like ass.

Now just to see if it will accommodate somebody with my disability (being 6'4" in a world built for people up to 6' tall).
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #3223
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I should like the Z as I am a huge fan of the first gen, the 300, and I liked the 350 when it was new but this car just looks bland next to the Supra and the Mach1 and to have so much recycling from a car everyone was tired of just seems chintzy. It's one thing to keep the platform but this car almost looks like some aftermarket conversion of a 370 to a Z. Reminds me of the trans am versions of the new camaro or the cuda/challengers.

Maybe they'll make a GTR iteration to get me drooling.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:13 AM   #3224
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Z will age a lot better in the looks dept. than the Supra.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 09:03 AM   #3225
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
People are already saying it looks aged because it resembles the 370 so much. They tried to integrate design cues from previous generations but I wish they had gone a little further. If they lowered the grill a bit like the 240’s it would look amazing.

The Supra design isn’t as clean so you could be right though. Right now I think it looks better and it wins in the driving department so it’s my choice. We’ll see if that changes when people upgrade the Z’s exhaust and brakes.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #3226
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that thing looks bloated as hell. No elegance.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #3227
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

need a referral for cheapest place for small bondo job. not sure if I want to undertake the job myself but would depend on estimates.

perhaps a small shop with a new hire that needs experience? if anyone knows of such a place.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #3228
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
Ended up ordering from Germanparts.ca. Order this morning and received shipping confirmation this afternoon. $21.99 flat shipping w/ 1-2 business days delivery time.
Well, parts arrived last week and spent Sunday working on replacing the rear brakes. Got all the pads/sensors replaced but the caliper carrier bolts just refuse to loosen up. Generous amounts of PB Blaster and time didn't seem to help. I think that it comes down to the fact that I can't get enough leverage on bolts with my socket due to the lack of space in the rear wheel well when the car is only up on axle stands.

Does anyone have experience with any of the DIY rental garage space (U-Wrench, LugNutz, etc.)? I think if I got the car up on a lift, I'd have room to use my breaker bar to loosen the bolts. LugNutz looks like a pretty good set-up with supplied tools and lifts available. Not the cheapest option ($44/hr) but still better than taking it to a shop to do what is really a pretty easy job.
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #3229
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The early 90's Japanese sports cars have stood the test of time as they are regarded as the best era for Japanese sports cars. I feel the Supra has a lot in common with those cars than this Z which is trying to use some styling cues from older models but can't hide the dated 350/370Z roofline that goes back almost 20 years. It's not terrible but I don't see anything memorable about the style of the car.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #3230
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
Well, parts arrived last week and spent Sunday working on replacing the rear brakes. Got all the pads/sensors replaced but the caliper carrier bolts just refuse to loosen up. Generous amounts of PB Blaster and time didn't seem to help. I think that it comes down to the fact that I can't get enough leverage on bolts with my socket due to the lack of space in the rear wheel well when the car is only up on axle stands.

Does anyone have experience with any of the DIY rental garage space (U-Wrench, LugNutz, etc.)? I think if I got the car up on a lift, I'd have room to use my breaker bar to loosen the bolts. LugNutz looks like a pretty good set-up with supplied tools and lifts available. Not the cheapest option ($44/hr) but still better than taking it to a shop to do what is really a pretty easy job.
I’ve never come across those bolts that couldn’t come loose with some impact force. Either an impact gun and a swivel to reach, or get a proper fitting socket or wrench and a hammer. Also, be 100% certain your actually turning them the right way, I don’t know why but some people get confused when it’s turned around.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:52 AM   #3231
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’ve never come across those bolts that couldn’t come loose with some impact force. Either an impact gun and a swivel to reach, or get a proper fitting socket or wrench and a hammer. Also, be 100% certain your actually turning them the right way, I don’t know why but some people get confused when it’s turned around.
I'm not worried about getting them loose eventually, it's just on our F31 on axle stands there simply isn't room to use the longer breaker bar that I have for just these occasions and there also isn't room to swing a hammer to get any amount of force on the socket. It's a fairly tight space and unlike the front, I can't turn the axle to give me more space/leverage. Added to that is the fact that lying on my back is also not the strongest position to try this. Once we get the car up on a lift, it opens up more space below to use both the breaker bar and hammer, if required. It also looks like LugNutz also has some available air impact tools to use (which I don't have at home).

And believe me, I've gone through the "lefty loosey" mantra in my mind time and time again.

Last edited by Treycal; 05-17-2022 at 11:55 AM.
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:57 PM   #3232
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

What's the deal with this A7? I've never seen a badge with the red unless it's an S or RS.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #3233
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 25k+ you save buying a Z as opposed to a top specced Supra gets you all you need to beat a supra. Proper tyres, better exhaust and just about anything else you want. I'm also 100 percent certain if you really wanted to ditch the front facia there's already maybe 5 or 10 alternative bumpers already.

I think Nissan did it right, keep the cost down and let the aftermarket bear out which cars stand up later.

I honestly think the Z will win. And I seriously love the Supra.
Now all we need is a new Mitsubishi EVO and all will be right in the world.

Edit: actually, we need a new RX-7 . The last of the big 3 to come back. I know I know, Mazda isn't going to bring it back.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-17-2022 at 08:46 PM.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 PM   #3234
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I believe that is a 'Sportline' package
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:09 PM   #3235
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I thought the Z would appeal to those who didn't want a car with a bunch of tech and extra stuff.

I really like the look, surely there's a way to do a badge swap to Datsun!
Old 05-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #3236
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What's the deal with this A7? I've never seen a badge with the red unless it's an S or RS.

AliExpress ####
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 11:58 PM   #3237
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I absolutely love the new Nissan Z, and will most likely get one next year once all the initial demand dies down. My ideal one is a red 6 speed manual performance package with the red interior accents.It would look perfect with a Flames license plate.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:26 AM   #3238
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Z looks huge next to the Supra. I know the Supra is a bit of a decisive car but I think they look great in person and it's the lowest entry price to get into a BMW sports car with the sweet B58 engine. The top spec Z undercuts the Supra by a few thousand dollars but one car is a BMW and one is a Nissan so the long term reliability isn't remotely comparable and the Z is missing heads up display, wireless phone charging, dual zone climate control, etc. As a sports car fan I hope the Z does well as sales to justify automakers continuing to make cars like this. I just can't get over the Domo-kun front end.
fyp -

I'll take the Nissan all day long!
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:51 PM   #3239
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
AliExpress ####
Yup, that is definitely some cheap aftermarket badging going on there.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #3240
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least they aren't lying about what the car actually is.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: