Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2022, 04:37 PM   #6241
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Also, the Turkey/Russia relationship is "complicated". They're both simultaneously at each other's throats, but they also have a lot of overlapping interests. Turkey could just as easily use this as a way to score big points with Russia. Specifically, Turkey is wanting to exert their presence in the middle east and over the Kurds and would like it if Russia turned a blind eye to their activities in Northern Syria.

Turkey, which supplied a bunch of weapons to Ukraine before the war, hasn't (at least no publicly) provided any weapons since.

Then again, Turkey is continuing to close the Turkish Straits to Russia, so maybe I am wrong. Perhaps Turkey will back down, once they have their concession. The concession could be support in Northern Syria from the West. Turkey has been asking for that for a while now.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 08:38 PM   #6242
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526199389764874240
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:46 PM   #6243
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sadly, or rather mercifully, operations in Mariupol has ceased with what appears to be a final surrender.

They were losing heavy people last few days and were completely out of water. While their efforts were superhuman in spirit, they were still human in basic needs and were completely out of water.

Here's hoping they see some type of mercy and able to make it home at one point, but it's grim.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:26 AM   #6244
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Also, the Turkey/Russia relationship is "complicated". They're both simultaneously at each other's throats, but they also have a lot of overlapping interests. Turkey could just as easily use this as a way to score big points with Russia. Specifically, Turkey is wanting to exert their presence in the middle east and over the Kurds and would like it if Russia turned a blind eye to their activities in Northern Syria.

Turkey, which supplied a bunch of weapons to Ukraine before the war, hasn't (at least no publicly) provided any weapons since.

Then again, Turkey is continuing to close the Turkish Straits to Russia, so maybe I am wrong. Perhaps Turkey will back down, once they have their concession. The concession could be support in Northern Syria from the West. Turkey has been asking for that for a while now.
There's reports that most likely they're still providing Ukraine qith new Bayraktars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidha...ching-ukraine/

As for the PKK / Kurds, unfortunately the Turkish government sees them as not much more than terrorists, so their disgust at western nations "harboring PKK" is very likely genuine, and understandable. (If not something I agree on.)

It's not much different from the western stance towards other nations harboring Islamists, Turkey just has less political muscle to drive the point home.

I doubt they'll play hardball over the topic, but clearly they want to gripe about it publicly.

Last edited by Itse; 05-17-2022 at 12:28 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:52 AM   #6245
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The EU, Britain, Canada, and the U.S. all officially recognize the PKK as a terrorist organization (so essentially, all of NATO). It's really complicated though partly because there are different branches or wings of the PKK, not all of them militant. It's hard to say that every PKK member is a terrorist because some are only involved in peaceful activities. The PKK also fought against ISIL as did NATO, and I am sure there would have been cooperation and communication between them at that time.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:26 AM   #6246
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD and map updates. Ukrainian forces have pushed Russian forces back to border NE of Kharkiv city, west of Vovchansk but appear to be holding their ground directly north of Kharkiv at Lyptsi. This is likely to prevent Ukrainian forces from entering artillery range of Belgorod and the supply depots supporting the Russian war effort.

In Donbas Oblast, Russian made minor gains over the past few days in Lyman and Popsana in the nearly stalled attempt to encircle Severodonetsk. Conditions in Severodonetsk are reportedly deteriorating with access to food, water and other supplies running low. Russians also made an attempt to advance near Sumy, but this failed and they are expected by the MOD to increase shelling in the coming days to try to reboot their advance. Expectation is this is not going to be very effective.

In Mariupol, apparently the decision has been made to withdraw Ukrainian forces from the area, Zelensky made a statement they've managed to rescue 266 military personnel from the area so far.

MOD estimates that Russians have now lost over 30% of their forces to date. With a lot of it's top of the line equipment having been destroyed, the Russians are now fielding even older cold-war era equipment in the field, including un-modernized T-72A tanks, further increasing attrition of Russian personnel. From equipment losses alone, military experts say Russia is not expected to be able to sustain military operations past the next 90 days.

No other significant advances have been reported anywhere else.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1526422852337115136
https://twitter.com/user/status/1526337380046622721
https://twitter.com/user/status/1526337053406900224

Larger detailed map from Wikipedia

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526312579144028161
https://www.newsweek.com/military-ex...kraine-1706246
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 08:39 AM   #6247
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Sadly, or rather mercifully, operations in Mariupol has ceased with what appears to be a final surrender.

They were losing heavy people last few days and were completely out of water. While their efforts were superhuman in spirit, they were still human in basic needs and were completely out of water.

Here's hoping they see some type of mercy and able to make it home at one point, but it's grim.
That's not entirely accurate from what I've read. Or perhaps I missed the complete surrender.

The servicemen evacuated yesterday were the severely wounded. They were to be taken to receive Russian medical treatment, and then there would be a subsequent prisoner swap.

As far as I could tell there still remains a sizeable number of UAF troops in the factory.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 05-17-2022 at 08:44 AM.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:23 AM   #6248
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
That's not entirely accurate from what I've read. Or perhaps I missed the complete surrender.

The servicemen evacuated yesterday were the severely wounded. They were to be taken to receive Russian medical treatment, and then there would be a subsequent prisoner swap.

As far as I could tell there still remains a sizeable number of UAF troops in the factory.
The Ukrainian operations in Mariupol had officially been declared over yesterday and The government requested for Azov to surrender.

We won't know the outcome of the remaining soldiers yet but this has in fact been a total surrender. They are being held in Russian occupied territory and Russia has already gone back on the deal and refusing to trade the prisoners now that they have surrendered. They will likely be paraded as nazis and tortured to death. They knew surrender would cause this outcome but they literally had no other choice, they had no water and nearly out of ammunition.

It was this and hope that maybe some of them may survive, or 100% of them die.

Last edited by Firebot; 05-17-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Firebot is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 12:33 PM   #6249
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're going to be used as a way for Putin to claim he has successfully denazified Ukraine while Russian forces dig in in the east and on the land bridge to Crimea.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #6250
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The Ukrainian operations in Mariupol had officially been declared over yesterday and The government requested for Azov to surrender.

We won't know the outcome of the remaining soldiers yet but this has in fact been a total surrender. They are being held in Russian occupied territory and Russia has already gone back on the deal and refusing to trade the prisoners now that they have surrendered. They will likely be paraded as nazis and tortured to death. They knew surrender would cause this outcome but they literally had no other choice, they had no water and nearly out of ammunition.

It was this and hope that maybe some of them may survive, or 100% of them die.
I hadn't seen that it was a full surrender. Thanks for clarifying.

This article seems to indicate there might still be fighters there?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61486027

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."

Last edited by IliketoPuck; 05-17-2022 at 01:21 PM.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #6251
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I hadn't seen that it was a full surrender. Thanks for clarifying.
Yep, siege is over. Mariupol is in Russian control... Limited number of soldiers rescued but rest being bussed out to Russian control areas.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1526601073250684928
Old 05-17-2022, 01:38 PM   #6252
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such bull#### Russia is even there. Go the #### home and leave Ukraine and Ukrainians alone.

Why did Mariupol have to fall? It will be back in Ukrainian control when Russia loses the war anyway, and a bunch of people suffered and died for nothing.

I would murder Putin with my bare hands, given the chance.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 01:51 PM   #6253
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Lots going on with my in-laws situation up near the border north of Kharkiv.
Spoiler!

How are things HW? Havent heard from you lately? Are your inlaws ok?
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:34 PM   #6254
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Such bull#### Russia is even there. Go the #### home and leave Ukraine and Ukrainians alone.

Why did Mariupol have to fall? It will be back in Ukrainian control when Russia loses the war anyway, and a bunch of people suffered and died for nothing.

I'm sure the line is quite long.

Russians will not even occupy the city at all either. There is no value left in it since the city is completely leveled at this point aside from the remains of the steel plant and they are so bankrupt they likely don't have the billions needed to rebuild it. This whole war has been one giant question mark of "what's the point", and there isn't one except for Putin/KGB cabal ego.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 04:08 PM   #6255
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Get in line....
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:30 PM   #6256
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
How are things HW? Havent heard from you lately? Are your inlaws ok?
Still not much to update unfortunately, other than the fighting still goes on around them. If you look at the map on https://liveuamap.com/, they are at North of Kharkiv city by the border and their village is directly on the left flank of the red on that map, Kozacha Lopan. There's a red blotch there that needs to get pinched out. So close, but so far.... arghhhh.

It's frustrating (but also encouraging) seeing how much the map has been "cleaned" in recent weeks in that area north of Kharkiv city, but never seems to include the village of KL. You can also see the 2 main roads near them, T-21-17 and M-20. Both those roads are/were main supply routes from Belgorod towards Kharkiv, which then allowed Russians to shell Kharkiv and head further east towards Izium. The Russians have identified KL as an important holding ground, as losing that region pretty much shuts down that supply route and puts Belgorod within artillery range with the new Western weapons (theoretically). They probably think they can take it all back at some point, but really, the RU army has no sensible plan and they are pretty much hanging around KL in a last ditch effort. It's so dumb, useless and needless. But that's the reality of the situation.

My MIL told us recently that she actually feels some comfort when she hears artillery and fighting, as that means she knows the UA army is closing in. She actually starts to lose hope when it's quiet (there are days when nothing happens) as she begins to think nobody is coming to save them. Crazy to think that way. The emotional swings they are undergoing are insane, to say the least.

Honestly there is so much crazy stuff going on in KL we have learned about but never makes the news since it's not the "big" headlines everyone is following. What my in-laws are doing to survive is straight up crazy some days.

The good news is that with all the "cleaning" going on in that area north of Kharkiv, I really do feel it's only a matter of time before they are liberated. I'd feel less optimistic if there was nothing going on and all the focus was on Kharkiv city itself and the Donbas. The bad news is that there is no timeline, and the Russians aren't giving it up easy. I have to hold off until they are liberated (for obvious ongoing security reasons) before telling about some of the stuff that goes on there. We also know what those brave Russian soldiers do when they retreated from Kyiv, Chernihiv and Sumy Oblasts (ie. mining the area and pillaging everything). That is happening in most areas north of Kharkiv city and in Kozacha Lopan itself.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #6257
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been following the conflict for a while now other than reading this thread here and there and it's a bit surprising to come in and see that Russia has won in Mariupol. I was always assuming and under the impression that Russia was incapable of winning in any region with all of their wrong moves and bad tactics. I imagine this will be a pretty big deal for Russia.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:39 PM   #6258
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I haven't been following the conflict for a while now other than reading this thread here and there and it's a bit surprising to come in and see that Russia has won in Mariupol. I was always assuming and under the impression that Russia was incapable of winning in any region with all of their wrong moves and bad tactics. I imagine this will be a pretty big deal for Russia.
It shouldn't be though, Mariupol is about 50 kms from the Russian border, 2 months after the war begun Russia has finally captured a small city a 30 minute drive from their border is hardly the fall of Berlin, in fact it is a damning indictment of just how bad Russian troops are, it is equivalent to the US taking 2 months to capture Surrey
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #6259
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It shouldn't be though, Mariupol is about 50 kms from the Russian border, 2 months after the war begun Russia has finally captured a small city a 30 minute drive from their border is hardly the fall of Berlin, in fact it is a damning indictment of just how bad Russian troops are, it is equivalent to the US taking 2 months to capture Surrey
Mariupol is also 50% ethnically Russian and sandwhiched between two areas already under Russian control (the Crimea and the North Donbas). This was about as easy as it could get for Russia, and it was far from easy.

From what I've read the only reason for all this destruction was so that Russians could more easily move between the Crimea to the Donbas, and if they level Mariupol, it just makes it easier to build a path.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:19 AM   #6260
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526869837011730432

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526872569575530496

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526811854726737926

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526784983532281856
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks