Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #961
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Anyone else instantly check the date of the tweet to see if it was the 1st?

It's... ugh... different... I'll give it that

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #962
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

DHL 757 departing San Jose, Costa Rica returned to the airport shortly after departure. Exited the runway on landing and broke apart, crew is reported to be ok.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1512107527084728331
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #963
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
DHL 757 departing San Jose, Costa Rica returned to the airport shortly after departure. Exited the runway on landing and broke apart, crew is reported to be ok.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1512107527084728331
That's one way to put it!!
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #964
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Air Canada suspending YVR-DEL flights this summer as the route is not feasible as a non stop now with Russian and Ukrainian airspace off limits.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/summer...lict-1.5851724
Old 04-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #965
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's one way to put it!!
Don't worry, that will buff right out.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #966
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #967
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 10:03 AM   #968
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Any thoughts on Flair's issues? - https://globalnews.ca/news/8775020/f...ership-review/

We've got a flight booked with them to Victoria in June so a little concerned that they might not be around by then.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 11:30 AM   #969
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Any thoughts on Flair's issues? - https://globalnews.ca/news/8775020/f...ership-review/

We've got a flight booked with them to Victoria in June so a little concerned that they might not be around by then.
I would assume that TC will grant them a decent grace period to find investors to up that Canadian % quota before they have to suspend operations.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #970
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Zero chance they lose their license, having already fixed the problem. They'll now respond to TC with the changes and they'll be accepted.
Old 05-02-2022, 09:14 AM   #971
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Qantas announces SYD-LHR and SYD-JFK nonstop
https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...ts-2022-05-01/
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #972
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boeing moving their corporate HQ (again), this time from Chicago to the DC area.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/05/10969...ington-dc-area
Old 05-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #973
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know we have some Boeing drivers here, so a question about air cabin quality and CO2.

Just did a trip to Maui. Flew YYC-OGG non-stop on the 737 MAX. Monitored CO2 with an Aranet4 device (https://aranet.com/products/aranet4/). Cabin CO2 levels stayed at 2400-2600 (very high).

However on our return flights (OGG-YVR, YVR-YYC) we were on 737-800's and the CO2 levels on both flights were at 1400-1600.

Load factors were very close on all flights, almost completely full cabins. I have to admit that I was quite surprised that the newest aircraft had the highest CO2 levels. Wonder if there is any insight a Boeing driver (or any airline pilot) could give me.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:21 PM   #974
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't work on aircraft but I do work in HVAC design, so upfront I admit I'm not a subject matter expert on aircraft HVAC, but ventilation in aircraft has come up in a lot of industry literature. The manufacturers made some dubious claims in the last couple years about the efficacy of their ventilation systems to assuage worries about Covid and virus dispersion. Airbus and Boeing made a lot of rah-rah ad copy about how their planes have HEPA filters and high ventilation rates and that obviated the need for social distancing and they could still fill planes to the brim without issue, but the actual efficiency of the ventilation air distribution in passenger aircraft is questionable.

Ideally you'd ventilate the cabin with air from outside, exchanging "fresh" air in and relieving "spent" air out. However, the aircraft HVAC system doesn't distribute pure outdoor air but instead recirculates air inside the cabin and mixes it with outdoor air bled off the engine compressors. This means 1) not all of the supply air to the cabin consists of "fresh" air from outside, and 2) the "fresh" air coming from the engines may be of dubious quality to begin with. It's kind of analogous to using air from the intake side of a turbocharger to ventilate a car's passenger cabin: it could be contaminated with oil...

(Building ventilation works broadly the same way, but careful consideration is usually made when figuring out where the outdoor air intakes will be located so that the outdoor source is as "clean" as possible. E.g. we typically don't put outdoor air intakes at ground level, and certainly won't put them anywhere near an alley or street. And while the air handling units will often be of a recirculating design, they will be sized with heating/cooling to allow for a minimum amount of outdoor air intake at peak weather conditions.)

Air is supplied overhead at the aisle seats and by design must pass across the adjacent seating to the return side of the system along the outer edge of the floor. There are a lot of obstructions to efficient air distribution with all the seats and people and carry-on bags under seats. CO2 measurements could vary wildly depending on where you sat and where exactly you took the CO2 measurements from. At the window seat = probably higher CO2, and closer to the floor = probably higher CO2.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2022, 01:27 PM   #975
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
I know we have some Boeing drivers here, so a question about air cabin quality and CO2.

Just did a trip to Maui. Flew YYC-OGG non-stop on the 737 MAX. Monitored CO2 with an Aranet4 device (https://aranet.com/products/aranet4/). Cabin CO2 levels stayed at 2400-2600 (very high).

However on our return flights (OGG-YVR, YVR-YYC) we were on 737-800's and the CO2 levels on both flights were at 1400-1600.

Load factors were very close on all flights, almost completely full cabins. I have to admit that I was quite surprised that the newest aircraft had the highest CO2 levels. Wonder if there is any insight a Boeing driver (or any airline pilot) could give me.
I found this blurb on http://www.b737.org.uk/pneumatics.htm

"On the Max, the pneumatic bleed air system now has an electronic controller. This allows the aircraft to digitally tune the amount of air that is needed in whatever flight regime you’re in. This is different to the previous "all or nothing" system which would often take more bleed air from the engines than necessary thereby reducing performance."

Sounds like on the NG's they were "wasting" air, so possibly this is why it had better CO2 numbers.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:47 PM   #976
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I don't work on aircraft but I do work in HVAC design, so upfront I admit I'm not a subject matter expert on aircraft HVAC, but ventilation in aircraft has come up in a lot of industry literature. The manufacturers made some dubious claims in the last couple years about the efficacy of their ventilation systems to assuage worries about Covid and virus dispersion. Airbus and Boeing made a lot of rah-rah ad copy about how their planes have HEPA filters and high ventilation rates and that obviated the need for social distancing and they could still fill planes to the brim without issue, but the actual efficiency of the ventilation air distribution in passenger aircraft is questionable.

Ideally you'd ventilate the cabin with air from outside, exchanging "fresh" air in and relieving "spent" air out. However, the aircraft HVAC system doesn't distribute pure outdoor air but instead recirculates air inside the cabin and mixes it with outdoor air bled off the engine compressors. This means 1) not all of the supply air to the cabin consists of "fresh" air from outside, and 2) the "fresh" air coming from the engines may be of dubious quality to begin with. It's kind of analogous to using air from the intake side of a turbocharger to ventilate a car's passenger cabin: it could be contaminated with oil...

(Building ventilation works broadly the same way, but careful consideration is usually made when figuring out where the outdoor air intakes will be located so that the outdoor source is as "clean" as possible. E.g. we typically don't put outdoor air intakes at ground level, and certainly won't put them anywhere near an alley or street. And while the air handling units will often be of a recirculating design, they will be sized with heating/cooling to allow for a minimum amount of outdoor air intake at peak weather conditions.)

Air is supplied overhead at the aisle seats and by design must pass across the adjacent seating to the return side of the system along the outer edge of the floor. There are a lot of obstructions to efficient air distribution with all the seats and people and carry-on bags under seats. CO2 measurements could vary wildly depending on where you sat and where exactly you took the CO2 measurements from. At the window seat = probably higher CO2, and closer to the floor = probably higher CO2.
Excellent info! As for where I took the readings on all three 737 flights we were in row 28 and I was in the aisle seat all times, with the device either in my lap or in the little seat back pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I found this blurb on http://www.b737.org.uk/pneumatics.htm

"On the Max, the pneumatic bleed air system now has an electronic controller. This allows the aircraft to digitally tune the amount of air that is needed in whatever flight regime you’re in. This is different to the previous "all or nothing" system which would often take more bleed air from the engines than necessary thereby reducing performance."

Sounds like on the NG's they were "wasting" air, so possibly this is why it had better CO2 numbers.
I have a 737 pilot looking at this on twitter, he also mentioned this new electronic controller and also commented on how the NG 737's cabin vents seemed to push more air out than on the MAX aircraft.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-16-2022 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:28 PM   #977
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Antonov 124 on the way to YYC from ANC today:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...800Z/PANC/CYYC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #978
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's YYZ but this is still pretty cool. Changing from distance based separation to time based with real time weather (ie wind) and adjusted for aircraft type to help improve operational efficiency.

https://www.navcanada.ca/en/news/new...-approach.aspx
Old 06-15-2022, 05:02 PM   #979
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Antonov 124 on the way to YYC from ANC today:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...800Z/PANC/CYYC
I saw this post earlier, but didn't give it much thought, but then by sheer coincidence I happened to be looking out my office window a while later, and saw her flying by.
Pretty cool.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #980
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the Antonov on final approach while I was driving down Deerfoot. Made me think of the destroyed one at Hostomel and the horrible war.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote