Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-11-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Jeeps!

Is there any fans of 80's Jeeps here?

My dad had a 1984 Jeep Laredo, when I was about 10 and I fell in love with it. CJ7 is my favorite series.

I've been searching for one for years!

Picture of my dads Jeep in 1984:

Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames_Gimp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

That looks sick.

I like the idea of Jeeps a lot, so I bought one on a Friday. Literally returned it on the Monday a few days later. Weird they'd even take it back, eh? I couldn't believe it, but felt so lucky. Gutless, squeaky, rattles galore...I couldn't take it, but that's obviously what you're signing up for with one.

I think younger me would have liked it, but 30-something me couldn't live with it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #3
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I loved my dad's XJ Cherokee when I was a kid. My heart goes aflutter when I see examples in good condition. It's so weird to think they've been out of production longer than they were in production, and they were in production for a long frickin' time...

The newer Gladiator pickups are kinda neat, but you know what's about a million times cooler in my eyes?

Comanche Eliminator
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That looks sick.

I like the idea of Jeeps a lot, so I bought one on a Friday. Literally returned it on the Monday a few days later. Weird they'd even take it back, eh? I couldn't believe it, but felt so lucky. Gutless, squeaky, rattles galore...I couldn't take it, but that's obviously what you're signing up for with one.

I think younger me would have liked it, but 30-something me couldn't live with it.
you actually gave up and returned it? not sure if serious but I loved the ride when I was a kid..top off, doors off the hot vinyl seats from the summer sun
Old 05-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #5
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I loved my dad's XJ Cherokee when I was a kid. My heart goes aflutter when I see examples in good condition. It's so weird to think they've been out of production longer than they were in production, and they were in production for a long frickin' time...

The newer Gladiator pickups are kinda neat, but you know what's about a million times cooler in my eyes?

Comanche Eliminator
That's not bad but you can't take off the roof and doors!
Old 05-11-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had 3 Jeeps in my time and I loved them.

I just really dont like the new ones.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #7
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
you actually gave up and returned it? not sure if serious but I loved the ride when I was a kid..top off, doors off the hot vinyl seats from the summer sun
Yeah, I'm serious. I agree as a kid or young guy they're super fun. But then you're sitting in it stuck in traffic and you're like, this is not a comfortable place to be. Or I was like that, anyway.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My dad had a CJ back in the early 90s but it was a piece of crap and he got rid of it. I like the idea of driving a Jeep but I'd rather get something like a new Bronco (though they have their own issues).
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #9
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The first time I drove a jeep, our car had gotten rear ended and the insurance company rented us a Rubicon for a few days as replacement. About 50% of the places we went with the car, some stranger would come up to us to comment on the car. This has never happened to us before with any other vehicle. It was something to behold.

But I agree with Sliver, the actual driving experience was pretty subpar. Loud and bumpy ride. I'm sure on a hot day with the roof and doors removed, it would be a lot of fun, but then I think what a hassle having to take off/put on the roof and doors all the time.

Our car ended up being totaled, and strangely enough, we bought a Jeep Cherokee as replacement. The sales guy asked us why we were test driving a Cherokee when we had a brand new Rubicon? He was probably licking his lips thinking we were die hard Jeep people (Jeeple?). But we chose it for the superior towing capability over other CUVs.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:59 PM   #10
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old jeeps are awesome. New ones? Absolute trash
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 08:37 AM   #11
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
That's not bad but you can't take off the roof and doors!
Sure, but it's a truck and can do actual work, whereas a Gladiator is more of a... "lifestyle activity vehicle". There is an inauthenticity about the Gladiator that makes it kind of lame to me.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had one of those Comanche's come in the shop for an oil change. Turns out it hadn't had its oil changed in 40000km. I could hold a magnet to the oil as it came out and pull the stream around, there was so much metal in it. The last litre took an hour to drain given it's thickness. Amazingly it still ran, but didn't sound good.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 09:18 AM   #13
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those AMC engines will run, even very poorly, for a loooooong time.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #14
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My favourite part about jeeps is all the super cool rare and unique custom top shelf aftermarket accessories that you can bolt on to look like a real boy, err truck, when crushing speed bumps. I know I get super excited when I see a jeep with the angry eyebrow grill, heinously ugly LED headlamps, overweight bumpers and miraculously cared for bumper Jack, winch and aftermarket wheels; the originality and character exuded is just so thrilling. I sure am glad people still are out there putting in the work and effort to flip open that 1000 page catalog of bolt on parts. Bless their souls do for keeping the can-do, take-me-anywhere and fix me with a stick Jeep heritage alive...those are mean, mean streets out there in suburbia, never do know when you need quick access to your axe or backup fuel supply.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:23 PM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You think there aren't use-cases for Jeeps in urban/suburban settings?

Have you even been to Winnipeg?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #16
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Pffft Jeeps. 1969-1988 Toyota Landcruisers FTW!! I love em, and I've owned a whooooooooole lot of em.

Currently I have a GOATED '69 FJ40 in storage, that I will NEVER sell.

I will admit though a lifted CJ7 with the top off is pretty cool.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #17
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a 2000 TJ, it's rusty and has a four cylinder. I picked it up as a beater to run around town in when one of the kids claimed my commuter car for school. It's not much to look at but we have the hard top and doors off all summer and it is a ball to tool around town in. Never gives me any trouble, the engine is bulletproof. I tell the wife it's my mid life crisis car, and I've spent far less than a Porsche. Now that I have the brakes and a couple of other bits sorted I think I'll take it out to McLean Creek to see what it can do bone stock.

We rented a new one a couple years ago, not my bag. It was too big, old school Jeeps are ridiculously small.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:59 PM   #18
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

CJ7'S are amazing! Newer jeeps have too much plastic and are too manicured and pretty.

It's very hard the Laredo i posted, almost impossible
Old 05-15-2022, 04:30 AM   #19
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a 1984 CJ7 Renagade that I accessorized the hell out of it. I rebuilt the inline 6 and put an RV cam and header for increased performance off road.
I had hard and soft tops, with the soft doors as well. I installed a Rancho lift kit which included new leaf springs , shackles, shocks,steering dampener , neoprene bushings.
I had a Warn 9000lb winch 33 inch mud tires and my Wife and I took it skiing or 4x4ing most weekends.

We loved it.
We now own a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk as my Wife’s main vehicle.

Last edited by Timbo; 05-15-2022 at 04:36 AM.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to work in the parts department a Jeep dealership in the late 80’s.

The funniest used to be that we would get a calls asking how much a new hard top was for these things and at that time it was something like $3,000. Then inevitably we would get a phone call a few days later with someone saying “the hard top off of my keep was stolen”

Also at that time jeeps seemed to be the preferred vehicle of winnipegs exotic dancers.

Oddly enough, I have never ridden in a CJ/YJ