Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #121
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I saw the movie yesterday with my daughter - she was disappointed in how it ended.

maybe I missed the scene, but I thought that many bothans died getting those plans to the rebels?

personally, I enjoyed the movie, and liked how it ended as a statement that there will be no rogue 2
Bothans were for the second Death Star.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:32 AM   #122
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I saw the movie yesterday with my daughter - she was disappointed in how it ended.

maybe I missed the scene, but I thought that many bothans died getting those plans to the rebels?

personally, I enjoyed the movie, and liked how it ended as a statement that there will be no rogue 2
Bothans got the plans for the 2nd Death star. Remember, there are three death stars.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #123
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I just re-watched the ending from somebody's camcorder footage, and Leia wasn't as bad as when I saw it in the theater. I wonder if there was a change that didn't make it onto every film reel (or whatever they use now.) That would explain why some of us found it bad, but not others.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #124
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I think that is the case because for me it looked really good I thought. I was expecting bad though so maybe it was just above my really low expectations.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:37 AM   #125
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

you're thinking of the second death star and Return of the Jedi

I wonder if that's a movie they want to make. A more spy thriller to get the plans to the second death star. Of course it would need Palpatine in it as he planned everything.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #126
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I just re-watched the ending from somebody's camcorder footage, and Leia wasn't as bad as when I saw it in the theater.
Camcorder footage is probably going to be a lot lower resolution or at least the quality is going to be below what the original is.

There's going to be a number of factors that determine how far on the other side of the uncanny valley they look. 3D or not, different theaters might have different quality projectors (is everything digital yet?), distance from the screen (further you sit the more/less detail you can see, 2x distance is 4x less detail), the individual's own tolerance for such things (some people the uncanny valley is more of a pothole?), as well as any priming and other cognitive biases (reading about the digital actors beforehand so reaction may be exaggerated and also may depend on overall perception of the movie or even reaction to others' reaction to the digital actors).
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #127
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
you're thinking of the second death star and Return of the Jedi

I wonder if that's a movie they want to make. A more spy thriller to get the plans to the second death star. Of course it would need Palpatine in it as he planned everything.
Ian McDiarmid come on down!!!!

Although I don't think it was as much about stealing the plans for the 2nd Death Star as it was finding out it was being built. Blowing up the thing under construction is a lot easier than hitting a smaller thermal exhaust port, cause you know the could just fly right into the superstructure.

Last edited by underGRADFlame; 12-19-2016 at 08:50 AM.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #128
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought they did a great job with Admiral Raddus as well, he was apparently based on Winston Churchill.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:04 AM   #129
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Camcorder footage is probably going to be a lot lower resolution or at least the quality is going to be below what the original is.

There's going to be a number of factors that determine how far on the other side of the uncanny valley they look. 3D or not, different theaters might have different quality projectors (is everything digital yet?), distance from the screen (further you sit the more/less detail you can see, 2x distance is 4x less detail), the individual's own tolerance for such things (some people the uncanny valley is more of a pothole?), as well as any priming and other cognitive biases (reading about the digital actors beforehand so reaction may be exaggerated and also may depend on overall perception of the movie or even reaction to others' reaction to the digital actors).
I know for me I did not notice it much with Tarkin. But i did notice it with Leia and it was quite jarring. Not enough for me dock the movie points though. I give them credit for trying it out, but i think they could have left it as the guy with plans walking in and saying "Princess Leia, Here are the plans" and then have the door shut and the movie end. Its a minor issue though and not anything that should ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #130
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I know for me I did not notice it much with Tarkin. But i did notice it with Leia and it was quite jarring. Not enough for me dock the movie points though. I give them credit for trying it out, but i think they could have left it as the guy with plans walking in and saying "Princess Leia, Here are the plans" and then have the door shut and the movie end. Its a minor issue though and not anything that should ruin anyone's enjoyment of the movie.
I thought one of the high points of the entire film was when Leia said the plans give hope. The perfect segway into Episode IV, and she was the absolute perfect person to do it.

I'm glad they didn't just do a shot from behind or something. I was absolutely OK with the CGI Leia, in fact I think the scene was done perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #131
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya I think people pay to much attention to 5 seconds and one line of a 2.5 hour movie.

We get the point, they wanted to get Leia involved in it, whether she was animated, CGIed, newly cast or George Lucas in drag we get the point of it and it was a great idea to end the movie that way.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #132
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I didn't mind the lack of detail on Jyn growing up, the only thing I was really left wanting was more on Saw. He had way to little screen time. The whole Immortan Joe thing kinda bugged me too, with no backstory.
There are reports that Saw will be appearing in at least one episode of Rebels in the New Year. We'll probably get more of his back story there.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #133
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Apparently Chopper is in the movie as well as a call for a General Syndulla over the intercom, and we see Ghost in the fleet when they all arrive at Scarif as well as apparently multiple times in the battle but I missed it. CBR says that they actually refer to it by name at one point to, but I missed that as well. Pretty cool they gave Rebels so many nods. You can google the Chopper footage I don't want to link piracy

Last edited by GreenLantern; 12-19-2016 at 10:33 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #134
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I thought one of the high points of the entire film was when Leia said the plans give hope. The perfect segway into Episode IV, and she was the absolute perfect person to do it.

I'm glad they didn't just do a shot from behind or something. I was absolutely OK with the CGI Leia, in fact I think the scene was done perfectly.
I went home after the movie and watched the first bit of episode 4 just to see how the continuity was. I think they pretty much nailed it. The opening crawl recaps what just happened in rogue one and then Vader boards the ship looking for the plans and the skywalker saga begins.

I'm sure people are going to poke holes in it somewhere but I thought it was really well done.

And just for the heck of it I watched the last few scenes of episode 3 (on youtube, I refuse to buy them). God those prequels are terrible, terrible trash. I wish they could just be erased from cinematic history.

I really feel like Rogue One however is the type of Star Wars movie I've been wanting for a while. Between episode 7 and Rogue One I feel like the franchise is back on solid footing. If Disney releases non special edition versions of the original trilogy on Blu-ray and then damage that was done to the series over the years can be recovered from.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 12-19-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #135
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

You are probably right now that i think about it. We just were hit with a bunch of character deaths, so a bit of Hope was a good note to end the movie on.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #136
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
And just for the heck of it I watched the last few scenes of episode 3 (on youtube, I refuse to buy them). God those prequels are terrible, terrible trash. I wish they could just be erased from cinematic history.
For me, their failure begins and ends with this:

He's the focus of all 3 films, in the same way Luke was the focus of the OT, and in every single one he's played terribly. Not to be too hard on Jake in the first film, but he was too cutesy for a character to have some deep brooding darkness in him.

But Hayden Christensen hasn't found work since these films, probably for a good reason. He gave the exact same delivery in every single scene, regardless of the emotion he was supposed to express. Sometimes he would get a little shouty, but that's about it. Not to mention the fact that he had zero chemistry with Natalie Portman, and their romance is what is supposed to be the major turning point for the character and the whole plot-line. Who knew it would be so hard to feign affection for that goddess? Christensen's acting makes Keanu Reeves seem like Laurence Olivier.

Everything else in the prequels can be forgiven, even Jar-Jar Binks, but not the casting choices for Anakin. Unforgivable.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:21 AM   #137
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Apparently Chopper is in the movie as well as a call for a General Syndulla over the intercom, and we see Ghost in the fleet when they all arrive at Scarif as well as apparently multiple times in the battle but I missed it. CBR says that they actually refer to it by name at one point to, but I missed that as well. Pretty cool they gave Rebels so many nods. You can google the Chopper footage I don't want to link piracy
Yeah that cameo of Chopper stood out just because I went, that's Chopper, and suddenly I realized that one of my theories of the end game of Rebels wasn't going to happen.

Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #138
Knut

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #139
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
For me, their failure begins and ends with this:

He's the focus of all 3 films, in the same way Luke was the focus of the OT, and in every single one he's played terribly. Not to be too hard on Jake in the first film, but he was too cutesy for a character to have some deep brooding darkness in him.

But Hayden Christensen hasn't found work since these films, probably for a good reason. He gave the exact same delivery in every single scene, regardless of the emotion he was supposed to express. Sometimes he would get a little shouty, but that's about it. Not to mention the fact that he had zero chemistry with Natalie Portman, and their romance is what is supposed to be the major turning point for the character and the whole plot-line. Who knew it would be so hard to feign affection for that goddess? Christensen's acting makes Keanu Reeves seem like Laurence Olivier.

Everything else in the prequels can be forgiven, even Jar-Jar Binks, but not the casting choices for Anakin. Unforgivable.
He has such a cute smile though. And he's got cool hair in the third movie.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:48 PM   #140
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its the impossible role to play I think, especially playing Vader without the armor and the mask on.

I think that Hayden tried to hard to be Vader in the third movie and that's where it failed him.

I always had a vision of Anakin Skywalker who kind of starts out as an idealistic young man that believes in the Republic and defending it and being a great Jedi, then as time goes on he becomes jaded by the corrupt republic and see's a lot of evil committed by his fellow Jedi in the name of defending the Republic ideals. In that way it would have been easy to see the fall of Anakin. In that you could have lessened the story of Padme and made his fall a combination of his attachment to his wife and soon to be born children and the idealistic part of him seeing the very thing that he loved becoming in his mind evil. Then it would have been easy for Palpatine the father figure to come in and say "You and me can fix this mess and protect your wife, you don't have to hide your family anymore"

Instead for some reason Lucas made Anakin a proto-teenager who was just really selfish and pouty.

I get the Sith philosophy that the underlying path to power is the concentration on self. you have to accumulate power in order to change things and you have to believe that you are the only one capable of ruling.

We never saw that with Anakin the slave who always seemed to be content in servitude.

There were occassions where Hayden was brilliant. When he was fighting Dooku on Grevious' ship and Dooku exorted him to use his anger, and Hayden's face and his lightsabre style changed almost like a switch went off in his head and he said "Ah now I get it"

When Hayden is being put in the suit and the last glance you see of his face before the mask comes down is anger and a resignation and regret.

His performance in Revenge of the clones was so badly wooden and yes, Lucas has always struggled with dialogue but his delivery was from the Lucas school of "Faster and more intense"

Natalie was just the wrong choice for the role, she was very good and very regal in the Phantom Menace but in AOTC outside of a couple of scenes she was so detached, and in ROTS she wasn't capable of delivering the emotion of a woman that knew her life and her love were sliding away from her.

The best performances in the trilogy were Liam, Ewan and Ian who were completely brilliant.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: