Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #241
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not gonna lie, fiending a bit for the game. I with this weekend had a beta test too

The news that you can never change your Advanced Class is pretty disappointing however. I was hoping to be able to try Juggernaut and Marauder at 50.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #242
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPlayoffs06 View Post
The Legacy System sounds like it'll finally allow players to have a surname for their characters. That was one of my first beefs about this game - not being able to have a family name in a Star Wars game was ridiculous.

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2011/...ntent=FaceBook
Can't say I'm a big fan of this... if they wanted a form of achievement points that was account wide... by all means do that, but all my toons - empire and republic... twi'lek, Sith pure blood or Cyborg share a last name?

Blech, I didn't really care about last names at all and now I really don't like the idea. I know some people name all their toons with a theme. I usually name mine based on class and race and what seems to be a fit for them... but sharing a last name across my entire account... nothing fits with everything... its going to look weird and out of place on some toons even if its a perfect fit on others.

I hate blizzard realID - sometimes its nice to logon and just go hide... maybe I don't want to deal with the guild or any online friends at the moment... just go and level an alt quietly while I watch TV. With RealID I at least had the choice of never adding anyone... which except for one or 2 is exactly what I did... This has no announced way to look people up by surname - /who won't work across server I don't think... but at the same time they are unique and if I'm seen that's that.

It does nothing for the biggest complainers about the lack of surnames - role players... all their toons are related? even all races... I don't role play but I can see why they are pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The news that you can never change your Advanced Class is pretty disappointing however. I was hoping to be able to try Juggernaut and Marauder at 50.
I actually kind of like this... it will probably change post launch... I'm thinking a in a year or so... but for now I'm ok with every single class not having an easy way to be every single role in the game...
Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #243
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got a beta invite weeks ago, or rather an email that Id been selected for a future beta, but nothing's come. Any info on when that test will be?
THE SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #244
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE SCUD View Post
I got a beta invite weeks ago, or rather an email that Id been selected for a future beta, but nothing's come. Any info on when that test will be?
I'm not sure which invite you'd be referring to... if it was truely "weeks ago" then you missed it. That said if your signed up for beta then you are invited to the upcoming weekend beta on the 25-28th.

Keep an eye out for the next email, or more simply just check here: http://www.swtor.com/tester - and about Wednesday this week you should see the link to accept and begin your client download.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #245
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.torhead.com/
Old 11-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #246
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
definitely no shortage of info/guide sites already

http://r2-db.com/
http://www.swtor-spy.com/

I'm sure darthhater, torocast, and askajedi will have similar stuff as well
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #247
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Are you sure this is actually a screenshot from TOR? It looks like KOTOR1 (released in 2003) to me. Two of the characters look exactly like HK-47 and Mission, and there was a scene where your party was ambushed by Dark Jedi on Tatooine that looked just like that.
my bad on the screenshots... google failed me.

I watched a bunch of the beta videos though, and thats where I drew the opinion from. It just felt like a game that took too long to make or something, like by the time they were done they should have updated the graphics again.

But that's just me. To each their own for gaming, I'm just passing on this one. (And I'm a big starwars fan)
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #248
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
my bad on the screenshots... google failed me.

I watched a bunch of the beta videos though, and thats where I drew the opinion from. It just felt like a game that took too long to make or something, like by the time they were done they should have updated the graphics again.

But that's just me. To each their own for gaming, I'm just passing on this one. (And I'm a big starwars fan)
you have to remember that the graphics were designed in such a way that older machines could run the game as well.

I do though understand that some people don't like the color palettes they chose to use.

personally i don't play MMO's to look at pretty scenery.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #249
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
you have to remember that the graphics were designed in such a way that older machines could run the game as well.

I do though understand that some people don't like the color palettes they chose to use.

personally i don't play MMO's to look at pretty scenery.
fair enough.

i got an invite thing for this weekend, maybe I'll take a hands-on look see & see if it sways me this time around.

or next time i need a game to play i'll reinstall KotOR... as at the least all the talk has made me want to do that :P
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #250
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the same boat, Icon. I have heard quite a bit about this game, and am amused (though not surprised) that I got an invite through Bioware. I'm interested enough to try it (though wonder about this 'weekend only' thing) and so I guess that's a good point for the beta test. Give it to folks who might be interested, but aren't going to pay for the entire game to 'try' it. Here's hoping that the weekend is interesting.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #251
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm in the same boat, Icon. I have heard quite a bit about this game, and am amused (though not surprised) that I got an invite through Bioware. I'm interested enough to try it (though wonder about this 'weekend only' thing) and so I guess that's a good point for the beta test. Give it to folks who might be interested, but aren't going to pay for the entire game to 'try' it. Here's hoping that the weekend is interesting.

It's rumored that this will be the last (open) beta weekend... the sooner you accept the beta invite the sooner you can login this weekend. They are doing three mini waves - Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings to emulate the launch traffic apparently.

They are convinced that they will be "selling out" of SWTOR on the release. They will use EA's Origin to grant new digital copies, as they determine their hardware can handle the traffic... but basically they are saying there not going to over subscribe and affect performance so... if you wont be able to buy the game after launch you definitely won't get to do a free trial... not for a while anyway... This beta could be your last chance to try it before launch. Plus the game made NY-Times top ten X-mas gift list.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #252
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
It's rumored that this will be the last (open) beta weekend... the sooner you accept the beta invite the sooner you can login this weekend. They are doing three mini waves - Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings to emulate the launch traffic apparently.

They are convinced that they will be "selling out" of SWTOR on the release. They will use EA's Origin to grant new digital copies, as they determine their hardware can handle the traffic... but basically they are saying there not going to over subscribe and affect performance so... if you wont be able to buy the game after launch you definitely won't get to do a free trial... not for a while anyway... This beta could be your last chance to try it before launch. Plus the game made NY-Times top ten X-mas gift list.

just got my invite for Friday @ 9AM......i think i just developed a bit of a cough
Old 11-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #253
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got an invite. WTF do I do? I have dl'ed the installer, how do I nerd it up?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 PM   #254
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
gotta wait until the servers are up this weekend
Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #255
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

if you have not installed it yet... you need to follow the link in the email, accept the beta invite and login to SWTOR.com or create an account - just following the links they give you... when done www.swtor.com/tester should have a link to allow you to start downloading the 18gb game.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #256
THE SCUD
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I did all that. I guess I jsut open on Friday and paly? If I choose good side and my firends chose light, can we see each other?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #257
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I did all that. I guess I jsut open on Friday and paly? If I choose good side and my firends chose light, can we see each other?
Yes your ready - just wait until Friday or Saturday or Sunday - you'll get an email saying which day you are allowed in. 10 AM CST if I remember correctly. When you accepted Beta will affect when you are allowed to start beta.

not sure what you mean by "see"... your starter planets are not something the other faction can visit. After that you could meet up and you can understand each other when you /say something in chat... everyone speaks English... or common or whatever... you leave your starter paklnet around level 10 - 2 hours if you know what your doing, 4ish if you familiar with MMO's and hurry. Might take you 10hours if you take your time and explore.

once you meet up - No grouping, no whispering, no quest/kill sharing and no item/money trading etc... basically no co-operation other than if your on a PVP server you don't *need* to kill each other.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #258
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes your ready - just wait until Friday or Saturday or Sunday - you'll get an email saying which day you are allowed in. 10 AM CST if I remember correctly. When you accepted Beta will affect when you are allowed to start beta.
So this weekend's beta testing is staggered? If so, is when you get in this a good indication of when you'll get in to the early release?
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #259
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

There's a server in this beta where you can choose to be a level 40 character, any class, in order to try out content.

I'm going to try that.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #260
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. I'm in the Saturday at 10am wave. Might not be making it to Ponoka with my wife after all...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote