Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #701
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know its the Orioles but 17 hits is impressive.

12-3 final
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #702
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays acquired RH starting pitcher Nick Kingham from the Pirates for cash considerations.

Will probably end up a nothing move, but he's only 27 still with decent numbers in the minors. I'd rather the Jays call him up and give hims some starts than a guy like Edwin Jackson who has no future upside.

Also Zeuch and Harris both started games in the low minors recently, so they appear to be back from their injuries. Merryweather should be back soon and possibly even Borucki. Plus SRF has been pitching better lately as well.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #703
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Remember when the Jays traded Morales and Dwight Smith Jr. for international signing slot money? I had assumed that it was July 2 money but apparently it was for the current IFA year and they used it...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ons-61319.html

Dutch right-handers Jiorgeny Casimiri and Sem Robberse (both teenagers) and 21 year old Cuban right-hander Yosver Zulueta.

Most of the extra slot money apparently went to Zulueta who from what I can find sits 94-95 with his fastball and can dial it up to 98.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #704
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol sanchez walks the 1st 2 batters.

Im outty
Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 PM   #705
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Checked back in, yeap 6-0 astros. Sanchez is awesome.

Also, apparently Vlad left the game after he was hit by a a pitch on the hand.

I have no words.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #706
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Good news alert! X rays negative and Bo Bichette hit a home run today.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #707
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Sanchez have another finger injury or was he just healthy and terrible?
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #708
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The latter!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #709
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so annoying to watch him pitch these days. His stuff is better than that, no need for all the useless walks
Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #710
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Inexcusable how Montoya didn’t challenge that play today. That’s twice now this season already. I turned it off after that and haven’t heard what his rationale was yet, but just brutal. This team is tough enough to watch most of the time, but if the manager is going to continue to sleep through games I’m out this summer. Ugh overreaction I know, but I was so mad at that. Can’t let a losing culture sink in on the young guys and stuff like that doesn’t help.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #711
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Montoya is completely useless. He was brought in to babysit while Rogers minimizes cost and tries to sell the team

It’s not like this was hard to see coming 3 years ago, but sure is annoying
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #712
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Montoya is completely useless. He was brought in to babysit while Rogers minimizes cost and tries to sell the team

It’s not like this was hard to see coming 3 years ago, but sure is annoying
I completely disagree. Rogers has been alright mostly. The management has failed in getting high end depth prospects and it’s not necessarily Rogers fault. What Rogers can be blamed for is not green lighting the rebuild two years back. Montoya is useless but what does he have to work with? The team was expected to be this #### based on not getting enough value for managements deals.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #713
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Rogers is to blame for delaying the rebuild then that is directly linked to low end prospect returns for the rebuild. It means they held onto Donaldson longer than they should have and then he ended up battling injuries which plummeted his value at the worst time possible.

Other than Donaldson, Shatkins had nothing high enough in value to trade for "high end" prospects. Maybe they could have seen through Sanchez' smoke and mirror season in 2016 and dealt him back then, but other than that who did they drop the ball on by not trading them for high end prospects?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #714
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If Rogers is to blame for delaying the rebuild then that is directly linked to low end prospect returns for the rebuild. It means they held onto Donaldson longer than they should have and then he ended up battling injuries which plummeted his value at the worst time possible.

Other than Donaldson, Shatkins had nothing high enough in value to trade for "high end" prospects. Maybe they could have seen through Sanchez' smoke and mirror season in 2016 and dealt him back then, but other than that who did they drop the ball on by not trading them for high end prospects?
Rogers wanted to suck out fans money for an extra year with a very outside chance of a wildcard level skilled team

Donaldson , Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna (As you don’t keep a closer through a rebuild) Pillar, Smoak , and even Martin

All got worst returns by waiting AND delayed a rebuild 2 years
Old 06-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #715
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rogers wanted to suck out fans money for an extra year with a very outside chance of a wildcard level skilled team

Donaldson , Sanchez, Stroman, Osuna (As you don’t keep a closer through a rebuild) Pillar, Smoak , and even Martin

All got worst returns by waiting AND delayed a rebuild 2 years
You weren't getting high end prospects for any of those players besides Donaldson at any point IMO.

Osuna, Stroman and Sanchez you maybe could have, but hanging onto early 20's pitchers is hardly something you can blame Shatkins for doing.

They still did pretty good on the Osuna return though despite him submarining his own value by being a woman beating scum bag, and they still might flip that into something via Giles if he can stay healthy.

Sanchez is done though, they won't get anything for him as he's terrible and everyone knows it now.

But they were never going to get blue chip prospects back for Smoak, Martin or Pillar at any time.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #716
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't matter about any of the others. Their meal ticket was Donaldson and everybody knew they waited to long to deal him. Everybody knew it.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #717
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You weren't getting high end prospects for any of those players besides Donaldson at any point IMO.

Osuna, Stroman and Sanchez you maybe could have, but hanging onto early 20's pitchers is hardly something you can blame Shatkins for doing.

They still did pretty good on the Osuna return though despite him submarining his own value by being a woman beating scum bag, and they still might flip that into something via Giles if he can stay healthy.

Sanchez is done though, they won't get anything for him as he's terrible and everyone knows it now.

But they were never going to get blue chip prospects back for Smoak, Martin or Pillar at any time.
You don’t need a blue chip prospect for every player. The teams window had closed and everyone knew it

You maximize return at the best possible time

Let me ask you a different question, In the past 30 years which MLB franchises have been run worst?

Rogers is a joke and outside of AA going all in (and getting essentially thrown under the bus when leaving ) for 2 years this has been the worst franchise in MLB over the past 30 years
Old 06-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #718
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Nice heads up baserunning by Teoscar there... to bad Tellez and Galvis couldn't do anything at all. And wow does this relief pitcher suck.

If anyone is interested Sportsnet Pacific is broadcasting the Vancouver Canadians vs Spokane Indians tonight if you care to see some of the college prospects they just drafted.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #719
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You don’t need a blue chip prospect for every player. The teams window had closed and everyone knew it

You maximize return at the best possible time

Let me ask you a different question, In the past 30 years which MLB franchises have been run worst?

Rogers is a joke and outside of AA going all in (and getting essentially thrown under the bus when leaving ) for 2 years this has been the worst franchise in MLB over the past 30 years

All I'm saying is they didn't miss out on much by waiting as the only player they could have improved the return on was Donaldson, but they still would have gotten a better return had he not been injured and that's not really Rogers/Shatkins fault because you can't predict that. It was just bad luck more than anything.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #720
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alvarez has 4 dingers in 5 big league games for the Astros.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote