Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 06:23 PM   #241
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I think daylight year round would have won with a 3 option ballot. Currently the standard time and the leave it as is voted to just narrowly defeat daylight year round.
I don’t think we have evidence to support that

The Change group is people who have the following rankings

Summer
Winter
Leave it

Winter
Summer
Leave it

Summer
Leave it
Winter

The no group is made of

Leave it
Summer
Winter

Leave it
Winter
Summer

Winter
Leave it
Summer

There is no reason to believe that these groups are different sizes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:49 PM   #242
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I can’t see how people would be in favour of shorter summer evenings and 4:30am sunrises. I think that’s just a red herring.
If the choice was between 8:50 pm sunsets in the summer or 9:40 am sunrises in the winter, I'd pick the "shorter summer evenings" every single time.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 07:22 PM   #243
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

All these arguments are making me think the best option is to just keep the time change.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #244
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
All these arguments are making me think the best option is to just keep the time change.
Leaving it in the current form IS the best choice. Too many downsides to having a single time year round.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #245
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Leaving it in the current form IS the best choice. Too many downsides to having a single time year round.
Wrong.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #246
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Wrong.
Right, actually.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #247
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm curious, what would be the proper time if we tried to sync solar noon as frequently as possible for Calgary? I'm assuming this wouldn't be reasonable because then we'd be like Australia and have timezones N/S and E/W but I'm still curious. If we use that as our baseline, what time should it be and then work backwards to choose the timezone we reside in.

I'm guessing it is very close to what we have now. There have been several posts about how we're closer to PST and solar noon often happens at about 1130, which seem fairly close to me but I'm curious what that would look like if we tried to hit the smallest window for solar noon all the time. And of course limited ourselves to a couple time changes per year.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #248
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm curious, what would be the proper time if we tried to sync solar noon as frequently as possible for Calgary? I'm assuming this wouldn't be reasonable because then we'd be like Australia and have timezones N/S and E/W but I'm still curious. If we use that as our baseline, what time should it be and then work backwards to choose the timezone we reside in.

I'm guessing it is very close to what we have now. There have been several posts about how we're closer to PST and solar noon often happens at about 1130, which seem fairly close to me but I'm curious what that would look like if we tried to hit the smallest window for solar noon all the time. And of course limited ourselves to a couple time changes per year.
Living in Australia with a ridiculous time zone, I can tell you most European and North American time zones are later than solar noon, so the Sun peaks at 1-2pm in the summer. Here it happens around 10am, so 2hrs early.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...olar-time.html

This link has a map of the world with the info.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:05 AM   #249
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing I still can't wrap my head around is how much of a debate this all has become in recent years.

As someone who is 36, I can't really recall this being of significant debate or a serious matter of discussion growing up. It was almost just a matter of habit and something we all did because it provided us with the most opportunity for day light from my understanding.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:53 AM   #250
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Living in Australia with a ridiculous time zone, I can tell you most European and North American time zones are later than solar noon, so the Sun peaks at 1-2pm in the summer. Here it happens around 10am, so 2hrs early.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...olar-time.html

This link has a map of the world with the info.
Here's a bigger version, since the links in that story are dead:

https://www.seekpng.com/ima/u2e6q8y3e6a9q8e6/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #251
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
One thing I still can't wrap my head around is how much of a debate this all has become in recent years.

As someone who is 36, I can't really recall this being of significant debate or a serious matter of discussion growing up. It was almost just a matter of habit and something we all did because it provided us with the most opportunity for day light from my understanding.
Too many people moved here from Saskatchewan.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 07:36 AM   #252
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

It's likely the things you paid attention to then. I never heard of any issues, other than occasional complaints about forgetting to change a clock, until I had friends with young children. Then nothing but complaints!

I'm in favour of the keep switching idea, because I think it offers the best options in summer and winter. If I had to choose though, I would definitely vote for permanent daylight time. Sunrise at 4:30, when I have nowhere to go for hours is useless. I love long summer evenings. Sunrise at 9:30 in the winter doesn't sound great either, but I fail to see how 8:30 is an improvement as I still need to be awake and alert before that time.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #253
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It's likely the things you paid attention to then. I never heard of any issues, other than occasional complaints about forgetting to change a clock, until I had friends with young children. Then nothing but complaints!

I'm in favour of the keep switching idea, because I think it offers the best options in summer and winter. If I had to choose though, I would definitely vote for permanent daylight time. Sunrise at 4:30, when I have nowhere to go for hours is useless. I love long summer evenings. Sunrise at 9:30 in the winter doesn't sound great either, but I fail to see how 8:30 is an improvement as I still need to be awake and alert before that time.
Exactly. People go to work in their windowless office at 8 AM in the morning and complain about “oUr CiRcAdIaN rHYthM!!” because the sun they can’t see gets up an hour later.

Truth is most people are up and moving before sunrise in the winter anyway.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:07 AM   #254
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i voted for leave it as is, as despite my dislike of the spring forward, the thought of it not being light until after 9am did not seem appealing
Old 10-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I just think if we changed it most people would realize in a few years it was a mistake and we would end up going back as the city did with fluoride so it's best to simply avoid making the mistake.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #256
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly do not understand why anyone cares what the sun comes up. I fully understand disliking it being dark at 5 pm. You're going to work in the dark either way. At least have some daylight left when you leave.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:32 AM   #257
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I honestly do not understand why anyone cares what the sun comes up. I fully understand disliking it being dark at 5 pm. You're going to work in the dark either way. At least have some daylight left when you leave.

I'll have daylight when I leave either way, would much rather see the sun earlier considering most of my work is outside.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #258
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Do you guys work in caves? Whether I’m at home, outdoors or in the office, I like when the suns up earlier vs later.

I also think solar noon should be as close to noon on our clocks as possible, as often as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #259
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Exactly. People go to work in their windowless office at 8 AM in the morning and complain about “oUr CiRcAdIaN rHYthM!!” because the sun they can’t see gets up an hour later.

Truth is most people are up and moving before sunrise in the winter anyway.
Well that was the "science" that pervaded the Facebook mom groups and swayed this referendum. People who don't take any steps to make sure their circadian rhythm is good as it is, suddenly rallied to this battle cry and we're stuck with the time change until other jurisdictions are bold enough to just set the time and leave it alone. Oh well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:50 AM   #260
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Other than scientists, I have literally never heard anyone mention circadian rhythms. I think Pepsi was joking and you took it seriously.

Been mentioned 10 times in this thread, including this post. 3 by you and 1 by Pepsi. So 5 before today.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-27-2021 at 08:53 AM.