Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #3641
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well clearly no one understands, even you.
Based on how the story broke, got pulled, and then broke again, I would say that there's an extremely high probability that Meghan Grant was aware of it well before the ban was lifted but couldn't say anything until it was. It's not that nobody knew - it's that the media who did know were forbidden from reporting it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #3642
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Based on how the story broke, got pulled, and then broke again, I would say that there's an extremely high probability that Meghan Grant was aware of it well before the ban was lifted but couldn't say anything until it was. It's not that nobody knew - it's that the media who did know were forbidden from reporting it.
I read the article before it was pulled and then again after. There were some language changes that were made that better captured the events (it was referred to in the original as a “relationship”). I don’t think it had anything to do with the publication ban, which was cited as having been lifted in the original.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #3643
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Furthermore, what I find disturbing in the evidence presented by Const. Chu was his readiness to use police business cards, police pagers and his police appeal to enhance his off-duty, personal life," said Middleton-Hope.
Quote:
However, HH testified she'd had previous contact with Chu two years earlier, when she was involved in an altercation at school.

The transcript also shows HH sent Chu a Christmas card following his involvement on the file.

Chu said he had spoken with her only over the phone regarding the incident and said another officer was in charge of the file.
Quote:
The presiding officer said she did not believe HH, who had testified that there had been "an aggressive, physical struggle, at which time a gun was held to her head."

Chu's statement points out that in his press conference last Thursday, the councillor "unequivocally said that there was no gun involved … and he passed a polygraph question on that exact issue.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ript-1.6227671

Given the inconsistencies around the restaurant vs bar story, I have no reason to believe Chu's version. Polygraphs are not reliable enough. Maybe this isn't the only time he brought a 16 year old home, and has just mixed up his stories...One thing is for certain thoguh, he isn't fit for public office.

If she sent him a Christmas card, are you really telling me she wouldn't have brought that previous incident up in some way at their bar/restaurant encounter? And if so, uh, it was at a school. How do you not connect that she is under age? I mean, the guy is dumber than a crooked 2x4, but even he should have known. So his denial of the age thing makes no sense. He knew, and that's disgusting.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-28-2021 at 07:36 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 08:17 AM   #3644
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Polygraphs aren’t reliable at all. They’ve long been debunked as junk science, yet countless law enforcement and government agencies use them despite their inadmissibility in court. Passing a polygraph should count for nothing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #3645
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^Polygraphs aren’t reliable at all. They’ve long been debunked as junk science, yet countless law enforcement and government agencies use them despite their inadmissibility in court. Passing a polygraph should count for nothing.
Especially for a guy like Chu that lies so regularly, his heart (if he has one) doesn't even miss a beat when telling a falsehood.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #3646
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Especially for a guy like Chu that lies so regularly, his heart (if he has one) doesn't even miss a beat when telling a falsehood.
Probably more likely he just sat there in a state of utter confusion for an hour, and they couldn't make anything out of the chart.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-28-2021 at 04:00 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #3647
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

More this morning: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ript-1.6227671

Quote:
A transcript from Calgary Coun. Sean Chu's 2003 police disciplinary hearing — for "caressing" a teenage girl — shows not only was the then-officer issued a reprimand, he was also assigned six months of ethics committee work. That came after the presiding officer found Chu had used "police business cards, police pagers and his police appeal to enhance his off-duty personal life."

Following an investigation under Alberta's Police Act, Chu was found guilty of discreditable conduct for touching the leg of a 16-year-old girl in 1997 at a restaurant while he was in uniform, according to his own testimony.

The transcript also shows the presiding officer did not believe Chu's accuser and discounted her evidence entirely.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #3648
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

As citizens can we do anything to request a recall or something? There's no way he would win if this was public knowledge for more than a day.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:29 AM   #3649
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1453730273980342278
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #3650
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The police are no better than the Catholic church for protecting pedophiles, CPS is a disgusting organization
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #3651
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is almost comical that after the presiding officer essentially found and noted what looks like an ethical concern that Chu was placed on working with the Ethics Committee for 6 months. Was this supposed to help him better understand ethics because it has poor optics.

Quote:
That came after the presiding officer found Chu had used "police business cards, police pagers and his police appeal to enhance his off-duty personal life."
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #3652
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It is almost comical that after the presiding officer essentially found and noted what looks like an ethical concern that Chu was placed on working with the Ethics Committee for 6 months. Was this supposed to help him better understand ethics because it has poor optics.
As in getting caught leaving a duce on the work bathroom floor, so the boss makes you clean it for 6 months?

Its super embarrassing punishment, but probably went over Chu's head.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:32 PM   #3653
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
As in getting caught leaving a duce on the work bathroom floor, so the boss makes you clean it for 6 months?

Its super embarrassing punishment, but probably went over Chu's head.
Well that's only because the CPS considers ethics such a joke that the only people who deserve to work on it are idiots
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #3654
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Well that's only because the CPS considers ethics such a joke that the only people who deserve to work on it are idiots
I think its more that the ethics group is toothless and incompetent by design.

When they find someone so dumb that they actually get caught, they put them in charge of the ethics to make it even more toothless.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:47 PM   #3655
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
As citizens can we do anything to request a recall or something? There's no way he would win if this was public knowledge for more than a day.
Wait for Kenny to proclaim recall legislation get 40% of electorates signatures in 60 days.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #3656
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Wait for Kenny to proclaim recall legislation get 40% of electorates signatures in 60 days.
You’re not wrong but I still can’t tell whether or not your post is meant to be sarcastic
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 10-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #3657
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They'll proclaim it the last day of the legislature, so that when the NDP gets rid of it they can say how they hate accountability and whatever else.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #3658
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
You’re not wrong but I still can’t tell whether or not your post is meant to be sarcastic
Purely factual, I left out the part where I believe Kenny is afraid to proclaim it and I don’t believe that you could get the 40% of the electorate to sign within 60 days when only 40% of the electorate votes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #3659
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Purely factual, I left out the part where I believe Kenny is afraid to proclaim it and I don’t believe that you could get the 40% of the electorate to sign within 60 days when only 40% of the electorate votes.
I think for a civic ward you might be able to if a concerted effort was made while the news was fresh.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:32 AM   #3660
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Earlier this week the entire city council and mayor got on a bus to tour all the City of Calgary facilities and get their orientation on civic infrastructure.

Everybody was present...except for Chu.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat