Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #4521
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I still call it that. The people who I talk to know what I mean. If some newcomer or 20-something doesn’t… <shrug>.

I never got onboard with calling it the Talisman Centre. Or Repsol. And I won’t get onboard with it’s new name 5 or 6 years from now. Or the name after that. The practice of corporate sponsors changing the names of our public facilities and landmarks every 8-10 years can #### off.
"Newcomer"... I moved here in 2006, I've always known it to be the Talisman Centre until Repsol bought it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #4522
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friends who visit still don’t get all these “Trails”.

It is weird. Do other major cities name their freeways Trails?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #4523
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still call it that. The people who I talk to know what I mean. If some newcomer or 20-something doesn’t… <shrug>.

I never got onboard with calling it the Talisman Centre. Or Repsol. And I won’t get onboard with it’s new name 5 or 6 years from now. Or the name after that. The practice of corporate sponsors changing the names of our public facilities and landmarks every 8-10 years can #### off.
I started going there in 1986. So yeah I know what you mean. I called it Talisman when it changed, and I called it Repsol when it changed.

Just for reference, it was renamed 19 years ago!

I mean I'm sure there's still people that call Ha Ling Peak Chinaman's Peak.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #4524
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Edmonton does, to a lesser extent.

This article says: "The word “trail” is used across our city and pays homage to the the old oxcart trail that existed between Calgary and Fort Benton in Montana."

Why Henday and Whitemud in Edmonton, 2 of the busiest urban freeways in the country are named "Drive" seems to have no explanation either. Alberta is just built different.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:27 PM   #4525
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
My friends who visit still don’t get all these “Trails”.

I agree - all roads should be known as turnpikes.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #4526
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The practice of corporate sponsors changing the names of our public facilities and landmarks every 8-10 years can #### off.

Sorry to be off topic, but are you seriously begrudging a name change of a building over taking the sponsor's money and improving the facility?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 06:54 PM   #4527
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Sorry to be off topic, but are you seriously begrudging a name change of a building over taking the sponsor's money and improving the facility?
What’s the total city revenue from building sponsorship? I’d pay $5 per year to not ever have name changes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #4528
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little more on road signage - in the US they use control cities and/or actual information.

So on northbound Deerfoot up until Memorial, the signs would just say "City Centre". Beyond Memorial, they would say Edmonton... or maybe "YYC Airport" until Airport Trail then Edmonton beyond that. Southbound signs after Memorial would say Lethbridge. No sign would say "Deerfoot Trail", as that is useless information. This method of signage also applies to ring roads, like in Cincinnati where their ring road carries an official name but nobody calls it that and no overhead signage says it. If we signed Stoney like that, no sign would say "Stoney Trail" but rather some combination of Banff, Edmonton, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat depending on quadrant and direction.

In theory, with no signs saying "Deerfoot", it's unlikely it'd have become the colloquial name. But then again, the story of how Deerfoot got its name is pretty cool. So maybe it's good we needlessly flex it on every road sign instead of providing information to drivers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #4529
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

To Acey’s point, signing the concurrencies or the destinations would be extremely helpful, especially there.

My understanding is highway 8 officially terminates at Deerfoot in the east and 22 on the west. I still don’t think I have it straight, but my understanding is to get to Bragg Creek from Deerfoot you need to follow signs for Glenmore -> Stoney -> Highway 8. If you don’t know what you’re doing, this would be challenging. Signing it all as highway 8 as well would make this much easier.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #4530
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
There may be a sign indicating this but look how poorly the sign is indicating what to do? A little "Transcanada Highway" sign and use "Bypass Route" It's also on the side of the road, not a significant sign for the whole purpose of the road. Sure truck drivers and people who frequent this forum may know, but does the common driver?
I don't think these Bypass signs are hard to see. There's one for each side of the road, they're not in a visually distracting place, the blue of the bypass portion stands out, and the Keep Left stands out with the yellow backing.

As for the 2A/Macleod Trail signs, I'm willing to bet the people who designed it chose that because way more people need that exit to head North on Macleod than South to Lethbridge. If they put all the destinations on there (Okotoks, High River, Fort Macleod would all be listed before Lethbridge, really) then it would be too cluttered.

Last edited by Mazrim; 10-11-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 11:27 PM   #4531
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

God I hate those signs, what convoluted version of English has a hyphen in the middle of the word bypass?

Also... should we have maybe put a garbage bag over those signs for about 3 years till the west leg is done? Cause... you can't get to highway 1 yet.

Last edited by Acey; 10-11-2021 at 11:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 12:08 AM   #4532
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
God I hate those signs, what convoluted version of English has a hyphen in the middle of the word bypass?

Also... should we have maybe put a garbage bag over those signs for about 3 years till the west leg is done? Cause... you can't get to highway 1 yet.
Technically you can by keeping left and heading west until the traffic circle at highway 22 / Cowboy Trail and proceeding north.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #4533
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well yeah but those are signs are there in anticipation of the ring being done, which it isn't. Aside from the absolute worst time of the day when Sarcee/Bow poops the bed, you're better off going straight ahead onto Sarcee.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #4534
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What’s the total city revenue from building sponsorship? I’d pay $5 per year to not ever have name changes.
The CoC received $10 million for the naming rights according to the always correct and complete Wikipedia.

I wonder if Tim Hortons would pay anything for the ring road. The Calgary Honey Cruller road.
GGG
Old 10-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #4535
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
The CoC received $10 million for the naming rights according to the always correct and complete Wikipedia.

I wonder if Tim Hortons would pay anything for the ring road. The Calgary Honey Cruller road.
Timbits Trail?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #4536
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Yes.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #4537
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Well yeah but those are signs are there in anticipation of the ring being done, which it isn't. Aside from the absolute worst time of the day when Sarcee/Bow poops the bed, you're better off going straight ahead onto Sarcee.
At this moment (10am on a Tuesday) google maps shows the times as a tie (say Oakridge to Banff, via either HWY8->22 or Sarcee-> 16th)

In reality getting on HWY1 sooner probably saves a min or two since you can more easily exceed the speed limit, but it seems they are pretty close (especially with 16th construction)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #4538
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes.
Well the sponsorship is almost over and there's another expansion planned for it. Get ready for the Intact Insurance Sports Centre!
Old 10-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #4539
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Week later than I expected, but multiple lanes closed westbound at the 22x / 201 bridges ‘cause ditch dirt work
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #4540
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Northbound Macleod's brand new pavement being ripped up and redone at Stoney, 2 lanes closed - such a racket they have going on.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote