Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2021, 08:22 PM   #41
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Let's say Dube was in the lineup vs the Leafs; win one of those games and lose the other in extra time. Then lose this one vs the Habs as first regulation loss. 3-1-2 instead of 2-3-1.

Would we still be here talking about blowing it up? I doubt it. Let's hang in there and see how these next 10-15 games go before talking about blowing anything up.

Trading for the sake of trading doesn't necessarily make the situation better... a couple of big trades stand out... remember the one that brought Jokinen here, or the one that shipped Phaneuf out of town...
Dube...hmm...look at his NHL career stats. If he is the difference maker here then we are in trouble.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:23 PM   #42
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Here’s a crazy thought... Connie and Tree as co-GMs.

Conroy in charge of personnel decisions for players and coaching staffs. Treliving in charge of contract and trade negotiations. Essentially Connie would be like, “I want player X, and these are my guys you can trade from.”

In terms of coaching changes, I don’t think Conroy would ever care about a power struggle. I think he’d bring in whatever coach he wants. He’s obviously a good guy, but I sense a very cutthroat side to him. I don’t think he’d have any problems at all with swinging some axes around.

We could ride that out until Tree’s contract is up and then it’s 100% Conroy.
Too many cooks. Just find a GM who knows how to hire a damn coach and doesn't waste millions of dollars of cap space on bottom 6 forwards.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #43
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Too many cooks. Just find a GM who knows how to hire a damn coach and doesn't blow 5 million dollars on bottom 6 forwards.
I've been saying this the whole time. People praise Tre, for being smart with his money. What good is it if the money is down the toilet?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #44
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
This team isn’t a contender for the cup, and that should really be the only goal.

We needed the Bennett pick to be for a 1st line centre and it just didn’t happen. We need higher end players and the main way to do that is to draft high and with lots of picks.

Do a proper rebuild for once and don’t try to shortcut your way out of it.

Of course none of this will happen, and I look forward to another 30 years of a franchise spinning its wheels and landing in the land of ‘meh’.
This. If Bennett turns out to be a Nieuwendyk, this team just looks totally different - top line is Tkachuck Bennett Lindholm. My god. Except no.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #45
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
Humiliating. We've seen this movie before.

Time to rebuild. Tre should go for hiring Ward. No idea how you can make the guy your full-time coach after the total fiasco of the playoffs.

Markstrom and Tanev are good signings, but the team culture hasn't changed.

Something's gotta give.. Maybe it's time to become a Krakens fan.
Please do.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #46
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
This. If Bennett turns out to be a Nieuwendyk, this team just looks totally different - top line is Tkachuck Bennett Lindholm. My god. Except no.
This has all the logic of an Oiler fan with zero conceptualization of the salary cap.

What exactly would Bennett’s salary be if he was a super stud?

Elite Bennett & cheap Bennett don’t make the same salary under the cap.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #47
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
This has all the logic of an Oiler fan with zero conceptualization of the salary cap.

Oh, what I would give for that to be be even close to a reality.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #48
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the roster is fine, no need to blow that up. The coaching staff though, absolutely.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #49
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well we wouldn’t have signed Neal I guess ?

How could we ever recover from that punishment
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #50
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I wanted a big shake up in the off season, but that didn't happen so we're kinda stuck with what we see. With a pandemic and quarantine and everything going on I don't see a blockbuster trade any time soon.

Blaming the coach is the easy out any time the players decide to mail it in, not to say Ward is fantastic, but over my many years on CP I've seen the 'coach is the problem' more times than I can remember.

Just gotta hope somehow, someway the players decide to put in a consistent effort game in game out, but I doubt it. This core just isn't cut out that way. Just hope they can put in enough effort to win more games than they lose and entertain us, but they sure aren't winning a championship anytime soon. Just gotta ride it out and hope next offseason there actually will be a big shake up. Finally.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #51
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think the roster is fine, no need to blow that up. The coaching staff though, absolutely.
The roster could use some tweaks though. I agree with people who want to see Gawdin & Phillips given a look. Right now the mediocrity is spread across 3 (sometimes 4) lines. Leivo, Simon, Nordstorm etc could all be removed.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:50 PM   #52
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Chess, not checkers. Obviously if Bennett continued his path from his rookie year and is at even a Monahan level of production (scoring and intangibles, along with the salary to match) for the past few years, a lot of things would be different on the roster. Maybe the trade for Lindholm and Hanifn doesn't happen as is and Hamilton is moved for something else. Neal doesn't get signed to fill that 1st / 2nd line spot the Flames tried in vain to keep warm for Sam, probably, nor does that turn to Lucic (there is your Bennett salary bump right there) Etc.

And if it meant playoff success at a decent level as well, it changes the roster dynamic. Maybe they look for and can afford to get a better goalie somewhere along the way instead of the annual searching for the guy to take the spot on the first or second line they hoped and hope Bennett would fill.

But if Trelving invested in a operable crystal ball three seasons (or more) ago and saw the flatline that Sam has continued to be on, he would've pulled the trigger on the best Bennett offer he had at the time.

Last edited by browna; 01-28-2021 at 08:55 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #53
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man this thread didnt take long, I aint saying its wrong but sweet mother of God its only game 6!!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #54
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Please do.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.
More like this actually:

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:00 PM   #55
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I wanted a big shake up in the off season, but that didn't happen so we're kinda stuck with what we see. With a pandemic and quarantine and everything going on I don't see a blockbuster trade any time soon.

Blaming the coach is the easy out any time the players decide to mail it in, not to say Ward is fantastic, but over my many years on CP I've seen the 'coach is the problem' more times than I can remember.

Just gotta hope somehow, someway the players decide to put in a consistent effort game in game out, but I doubt it. This core just isn't cut out that way. Just hope they can put in enough effort to win more games than they lose and entertain us, but they sure aren't winning a championship anytime soon. Just gotta ride it out and hope next offseason there actually will be a big shake up. Finally.
Player leadership counts too, as you have mentioned.

It is paramount.

When is the last time a team won the Stanley Cup with questionable player leadership?

Never. Not one player...multiple players.

Who are those guys on the Flames?

Coaches are important...high end driven players win Cups!
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #56
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
More like this actually:
That’s right in alignment with your last gif, Queen of the Dramatic.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:09 PM   #57
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Who cares? Do you really think we're in a better situation now?? Or are you content with this crap?
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #58
Pipty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Overated Gm will screw us with a desperate ####ty quantity for quality Gaudreau trade. Standard flames stuff
Pipty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:18 PM   #59
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brad treliving is a pretty average gm. I'd say bottom 3rd.

Team's 6 forwards aren't good enough, let's bring in 2 depth forwards and pencil them into the top 2 lines and move Lindholm to C. Look everyone, it's just slotting. Our depth is soo amazing! Who needs top end talent when you have nhl depth at forward with Simon, leivo, Bennett, lucic, Ryan, Nordstrom!

Add that to the team's best dman on the down turn of his career , plus an assistant coach playing dress up as head coach.

I'm happy to suffer through a cluster F, loser team for 58 games here as long as it means treliving gets thrown out, Ward gets thrown out, and we realize that the team needs to go scorched earth.

Or, let's keep treliving around, and see more tweaks around the edges for what 4 years in a row?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2021, 09:24 PM   #60
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Dube...hmm...look at his NHL career stats. If he is the difference maker here then we are in trouble.
Numbers aren't everything. Dube plays an important role on this team and his absence has thrown these lines into disarray.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote