Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #1661
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
I hear the French might have some advanced plans for subs...
This works as a joke, but when it happened my first thought was that we could get a hell of a deal on those subs right now. And make friendsies with France.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:18 PM   #1662
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It seems this thread is mostly used for negative news, but here's what I think it's some good Canadian military news

Royal Canadian Navy ship completes Northwest Passage journey for first time since 1954
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #1663
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Another massive embarrassing day for the Canadian Forces.

First we have a public pissing match between Art McDonald and Wayne Eyre who both believe they should be the CDS.

Then another allegation of historical sexual assault against the current head of HR for the Forces.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/mili...ions-1.5625563

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #1664
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8272762/a...=%40globalnews

Old 11-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #1665
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jef...box=1636283850

Quote:
A Department of National Defence briefing note identifies the urgent need to “kick off without delay” a replacement project for the Royal Canadian Navy’s (RCN) four Victoria-class submarines. The British built vessels, acquired second hand in 1998 by the Chrétien government in a nearly $900 million lease-to-buy contract, are due to be retired or “paid off” 15 years from now, between 2036 and 2042 . At that point the submarines will be 50 years old.
Article content

Mirroring an assessment produced in a recent Macdonald-Laurier Institute report, the January 2021 note, obtained through an access-to-information request, makes clear that from start to finish it will take a “minimum” 15 years to deliver a new submarine. This estimate jumps to twenty-five years depending on which procurement model the DND adopts: 1) buy new from overseas; 2) build in Canada with a foreign design; 3) or build in Canada with a new design.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #1666
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Options 2) and 3) are out because Canada does not currently have the capability to build submarines and to build dry docks for the small amount of subs Canada might purchase is not feasible.

Thus, given the current costs for the replacement surface combatant and new fighters and then add the political aspect of made in Canada and I'm not confident Canada will purchase new subs.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #1667
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Agreed for the first part. Also the talk about buying nuclear submarines is pretty much out in my mind, the cost to revamp the Submarine training and maintenance would be huge.

Just based on Canada's procurement, they'll mess up the fighter jet replacement, the surface combatant program is already a mess and way over budget. So yeah, we're unlikely to get new submarines any time soon. However I do feel that submarines are key to a small nations naval strategy.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:52 PM   #1668
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

So this is the thread for naval-gazing, eh?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #1669
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I really doubt we'll have any meaningful discussions about new subs until at least 2030
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #1670
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why aren't drone submarines more spoken about as an option here? Perhaps the remote controlling would make them too easily detectable? But, as a defensive measure, would that even really matter?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #1671
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Why aren't drone submarines more spoken about as an option here? Perhaps the remote controlling would make them too easily detectable? But, as a defensive measure, would that even really matter?

Transmission of data through deep water would be an issue.

There are drone concepts with new subs, but they are controlled by subs themselves.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #1672
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't recall a time when our submarine capabilities weren't comical.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #1673
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Agreed for the first part. Also the talk about buying nuclear submarines is pretty much out in my mind, the cost to revamp the Submarine training and maintenance would be huge.

Just based on Canada's procurement, they'll mess up the fighter jet replacement, the surface combatant program is already a mess and way over budget. So yeah, we're unlikely to get new submarines any time soon. However I do feel that submarines are key to a small nations naval strategy.
I think if people knew how much diesel conventional submarines burn or lose to the environment, they would change their tune on nuclear subs. Or they might just want no subs at all, so maybe don't tell them.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #1674
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

So good news.

I think it exceptionally important that the country continue this activity.

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-...mToEDZrNNIApjc

Quote:
News release
Lance Corporal Morgan Jones Jenkins
Picture of Lance Corporal Jenkins published in the journal of the Manitoba Agricultural College. (Photo: University of Manitoba Archives and Special Collections, Managra [January 1920], Page 14)
November 15, 2021 – Ottawa – National Defence / Canadian Armed Forces

The Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces have confirmed the identification of a previously unknown grave as being that of Lance Corporal Morgan Jones Jenkins, a Canadian soldier of the First World War who was buried as an unknown soldier at the Vis-en-Artois British Cemetery, in Haucourt, France.

Morgan Jones Jenkins was born in Wales in 1886 to a minister and his wife who would lose two other sons in the First World War. After immigrating to Canada, he studied at the Manitoba Agricultural College before enlisting in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in Saskatoon, and joining the 3rd University Company, based out of McGill University. The company sailed for England on September 4, 1915. Overseas, he was transferred to Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI), wounded, promoted, and assigned to the Canadian Corps’ intelligence service for 18 months. Having rejoined PPCLI, he was declared killed in action on August 28, 1918, during the Second Battle of Arras, following a difficult advance on Jigsaw Wood, a position used by the enemy to defend the Fresnes-Rouvroy Line in France. He was 32 years old.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #1675
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...ces-now-admits

Jesus ####ing Christ, what a bunch of #######s. A complete failure of leadership.

Quote:
Canada’s top soldier, Gen. Wayne Eyre, admits an officer who had his military career cut short for trying to crack down on sexual misconduct wasn’t treated fairly and shouldn’t have been removed from command.

“I acknowledge the personal toll events towards the end of his career at RMC have likely had on LCol (Ret’d) Popov and thank him for his contributions to the Canadian Armed Forces through his many years of service,” Eyre said in a statement to this newspaper. “I acknowledge that he was not afforded procedural fairness in all circumstances.”

Popov’s troubles began in the summer of 2015 when he tried to discipline officer cadets at the college after a number of them threatened to rape a group of girls and then told officers trying to intervene to “f— off.”

Some of the cadets complained about Popov to their fathers, who were senior officers at National Defence headquarters in Ottawa, and the lieutenant colonel found his once-promising career quickly derailed.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #1676
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw this really disturbing video on Facebook of a mosque built by the RCAF for practice bombing runs. Can anyone confirm?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #1677
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I just saw this really disturbing video on Facebook of a mosque built by the RCAF for practice bombing runs. Can anyone confirm?
I'll confirm if you promise to send me a screenshot of the video and/or five million jillion dollars. If you don't I'll send a bazillion pesos to the fake charity of your choice
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:15 PM   #1678
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...acks-1.6273953

Quote:
Most of the Royal Canadian Air Force's fleet of CH-148 Cyclone helicopters are undergoing repairs after cracks were found in the tails of some of the aircraft.
"12 Wing Shearwater, which encompasses the entire fleet, is prioritizing the order of repair to maximize return to serviceability for each aircraft," said a Department of National Defence statement to CBC News on Saturday.
After the cracks were found on one of the Sikorsky-made helicopters during routine maintenance on Nov. 26, other aircraft at the squadron were inspected and cracks were found in three, according to the statement.
A special inspection of the fleet was completed this week, the statement said, and Sikorsky is working with the RCAF to make repairs.
RCAF experts estimate that the repairs will be completed in "the next few days."

Old 12-04-2021, 10:21 PM   #1679
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Can we not derail an actual useful and productive thread.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #1680
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Can we not derail an actual useful and productive thread.
Oh stop it
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote