Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2021, 11:18 AM   #1681
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Just a heads up, looks like The Bay has a sale on all their watches again.

I'm seriously considering picking this watch up.

https://www.thebay.com/product/seiko...BoCL04QAvD_BwE
I will sell you mine for cheaper I never wear it as I feel its too big for my wrist.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:40 AM   #1682
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think I want a Rolex but I don't want to spend over $1000. I guess I'll try to find an old person to swindle. Wish me luck.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #1683
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think I want a Rolex but I don't want to spend over $1000. I guess I'll try to find an old person to swindle. Wish me luck.
You're looking at least $2,000 USD for a good vintage piece out of Japan.

I've had really good success with them, just don't go buying up all the good stuff.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #1684
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You have to think of it differently.

If you're buying a Rolex, you're not "spending" $X,XXX, but rather "parking" $X,XXX. Over several years, it will likely cost you far less to own a Rolex than buying a higher-end "fashion" watch, because the latter will become essentially worthless.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #1685
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The only chance I have to wear a Rolex is to see if I can pull off a Lady Datejust. My grandmother left one behind in the safety deposit box and I can't bear to sell it.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #1686
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I used to think that I could get down to being a 3 watch guy and have a daily driver luxury watch but I realized that variety is the spice of life and I just need something fun to put on every now and then and be excited to buy a watch and wear it right away.

I can't resist watch bargains and I just picked up this Timex Expedition Scout at Walmart in their clearance rack for $35. The seconds hand doesn't line up to the tick marks half the time but that's how all Timex's are these days. The gunmetal case is gorgeous and the strap is almost a sueded leather which would have probably cost me $20 from Amazon for a comparable 20mm anyway.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-15-2021 at 06:11 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #1687
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked this mofo up as a thank you Christmas gift for Dad. He would never spend this much on himself, so I had to step it up and do it for him. Hope he likes it, cuz it was a pain in the ass to find something with all the shortages out there.

DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #1688
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Picked this mofo up as a thank you Christmas gift for Dad. He would never spend this much on himself, so I had to step it up and do it for him. Hope he likes it, cuz it was a pain in the ass to find something with all the shortages out there.

Who is your AD and is he happy with your sacrificial offering?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
DFO
Old 10-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #1689
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Who is your AD and is he happy with your sacrificial offering?
Shout out to Janina's in Grande Prairie. I had to fly out there personally just to pick up the frickin' thing since they don't allow agents/couriers to pick it up for you. Fly in, pick up, fly out. It was not a pleasant day.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #1690
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Shout out to Janina's in Grande Prairie. I had to fly out there personally just to pick up the frickin' thing since they don't allow agents/couriers to pick it up for you. Fly in, pick up, fly out. It was not a pleasant day.
Well, that's a pimp-ass move, dude. Fly in and out in one day to pick up a Rolex?! Teach us your ways.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #1691
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, that's a pimp-ass move, dude. Fly in and out in one day to pick up a Rolex?! Teach us your ways.
Once you find a watch that is in unbelievably short supply to get your hands on and have committed to spending ~$9k on it already, another couple hundred bucks for a round-trip flight to pick it up isn't too much of a stretch versus the prospect of just not having it at all.

Lucky dad!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:14 PM   #1692
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

$9k? I thought they were over $20k. Cool.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:19 PM   #1693
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
$9k? I thought they were over $20k. Cool.
Normally if you buy from an authorized dealer, you only pay MSRP (excluding any other purchases you had to make to get into line). So you can stay below the 5 digit range if you avoid precious metal and diamond options.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #1694
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some are, but usually in precious metals.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6200-0003.html
Old 10-19-2021, 03:39 PM   #1695
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Normally if you buy from an authorized dealer, you only pay MSRP (excluding any other purchases you had to make to get into line). So you can stay below the 5 digit range if you avoid precious metal and diamond options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Some are, but usually in precious metals.

https://www.rolex.com/watches/dateju...6200-0003.html
Awesome. Thanks.

In normal times do you have to go through a big rigmarole to get one, or is it a matter of going to a store that sells Rolexes and just buying/ordering one for MSRP?
Old 10-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #1696
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks.

In normal times do you have to go through a big rigmarole to get one, or is it a matter of going to a store that sells Rolexes and just buying/ordering one for MSRP?
Depends on the model generally.

Getting a stainless steel Rolex Daytona has been nearly impossible for years now, they're always in high demand and ADs usually hold them for their long-time repeat customers.

Submariner and GMT were sometimes tricky to get in stainless steel, always
much easier to find two-tone and precious metal.

Oyster Perpetual, Datejust, and Explorer models you used basically trip over on the way into an AD for the longest time, though they were usually two-tone or precious metal versions, and especially anything with the weird dials that Rolex often had on some models that ADs had trouble moving because they're so buyer specific.

Some versions of a model (like Dark Rhodium in the 114300) are in higher demand than others (like Red Grape), so you'll usually see a run on that specific colour spec and the used prices escalate accordingly. Sometimes having eclectic tastes relative to the typical Rolex purist is an advantage sometimes when inventory is tight.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-19-2021 at 03:55 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #1697
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks.

It's a famous meme in the watch hobby that it is more than a big rigmarole, that you have to offer up your wife to the authorized dealer and become best friends with them and then buy a bunch of watches you don't actually want before being put on the wait list for VIPs to get the watch that you do really want.

I've tried and the wait list if you are not a preferred customer is fake, they never contact you. The stainless steel/sports models are the ones that are always in short supply. You can go into a store and find gold and jeweled ones all the time.

That's why grey market is more than MSRP in many cases.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-19-2021 at 05:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #1698
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
How did you track down that this particular dealer had it in stock? Did you just check online or call a bunch of store?
Old 10-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #1699
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

For $10k (once things stabilize more) I'm probably better off with one Rolex, my Seiko 5 and my G-Shock versus like five or six $1k - $2k watches. I can see why people do it. Would love to leave that to my son.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 05:17 PM   #1700
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I've tried and the wait list if you are not a preferred customer is fake, they never contact you. The stainless steel/sports models are the ones that are always in short supply.
Actually I will offer a rare counterpoint to this.

My first purchase from Brinkhaus ever was also my first new Rolex purchase, my stainless 114300 dark rhodium. I had been in a few times looking and had spoken to the same guy on every occasion (rep's name was Tom). He had been nice enough to show me whatever I wanted to see, IWCs, some Pateks that cost the same as my car (which in hindsight, I should have bought because now they're worth slightly more than double), but I really wanted to get a brand new Rolex and couldn't come to a decision on what I wanted.

When I saw the dark rhodium 114300 at Baselworld, that was it, I wanted that watch. So I went to see Tom and asked about the 114300, and we chatted about it for while, he showed me the red grape and Seahawks dial, and I loved the size at 39mm but I told him I really had my eye on the dark rhodium. He said he can take my information and let me know if he can get one in. I wasn't expecting to hear anything and put it out of mind.

A couple days later I get a call from Tom that they got a dark rhodium 114300 in, would I like to come see it? So I went in, watch is still in the foam shipping crate with the plastic on. I bought it immediately. So sometimes, sometimes you might luck out if you deal with the right people.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 10-19-2021 at 05:41 PM.