Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 08:37 AM   #4921
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
So is this turning into a NIMBY issue now?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ch...nity-1.5091675
I don’t think it’s a nimby thing. It’s a you gave a massive city with thousands of walls and the best you can do is put a mural over top of existing art celebrating homelessness and then put your art in an area that represents a different minority culture.

Effectively it looks like the main class of Calgary pushes all the different people into a small area to fight for scraps.

I understand why members of the Chinese community would find it out of place.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #4922
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
So is this turning into a NIMBY issue now?

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ch...nity-1.5091675
This one seems a bit of a different issue altogether. First, it's not one of the four that the City has given Pink Flamingo money for. This is a privately funded mural on a private wall. So anyone who has a problem with it basically has no recourse.

Pink Flamingo has "taken the lead on the project", but it seems like they are coming in late to handle any backlash as everything seemed to be planned out (as in, this mural is already going up, it's not in the planning stages) already.There is an artist, he's got a plan, and he's in the middle of painting.

This one does kind of seem like a NIMBY, but for much more unkind reasons than one may suspect. I admit that I've not looked a lot into this, but I've been hearing mutterings that A) Chinese and Blacks have a long history of racism against each other (that I can't speak to, really) and B) there is a very vocal local contingent who oppose ANY changes to 'Chinatown' so ANY mural would be objected to.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #4923
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Apparently cops have cards to give to friends and family that tell other cops to give their friends a family leniency.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...courtesy-cards
This happens in Canada as well, Alberta even.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #4924
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think it’s a nimby thing. It’s a you gave a massive city with thousands of walls and the best you can do is put a mural over top of existing art celebrating homelessness and then put your art in an area that represents a different minority culture.

Effectively it looks like the main class of Calgary pushes all the different people into a small area to fight for scraps.

I understand why members of the Chinese community would find it out of place.
If a location for a project is questioned as not being the right place by a certain community with vested interests, then it is definitely a NIMBY issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #4925
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

So more inconsistencies in the police story they gave in in the Breanna Taylor's shooting. First they lied to a judge to get a warrent . They said the postal office said she was recieving packages, then the postal office said thwy never said that. Now it appears the police lied that no one in the narcotics division never wear body but new photos from that night show at least one officer was and for some reason on officer is wearing just a mount.

The pictures also show several casings at the scene were moved when they shouldn't have been as well as some objects. The pictures from night to day show they were moved into different positions when they should be in the same spot and never touched.

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_ca/artic...-a-body-camera

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-06-2020 at 12:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #4926
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...oy-autism-utah

Quote:
A 13-year-old boy with autism was shot several times by police officers who responded to his home in Salt Lake City after his mother called for help.
Quote:
She added: “They’re supposed to come out and be able to de-escalate a situation using the most minimal force possible.”

Instead, she said, two officers went through the front door of the home and in less than five minutes were yelling “get down on the ground” before firing several shots.
Quote:
Regarding the incident in Salt Lake City, Neurodiverse Utah said in a statement: “Police were called because help was needed but instead more harm was done when officers from the SLPD expected a 13-year-old experiencing a mental health episode to act calmer and [more] collected than adult trained officers.”
Maybe this belongs in the "I Don't Want To Live On This Planet Anymore" thread

I was thinking about how Democrats are generally outraged by this sort of stuff, and Republicans seem to shrug it off. But if the headlines were "Government employee murders father of three" I think that Democrats might be less outraged, but Republicans would probably be outraged.
Old 09-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #4927
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by plett25 View Post
i was thinking about how democrats are generally outraged by this sort of stuff, and republicans seem to shrug it off. But if the headlines were "black government employee murders white father of three" i think that democrats might be less outraged, but republicans would probably be outraged.
ftfy
Old 09-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #4928
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post

I was thinking about how Democrats are generally outraged by this sort of stuff, and Republicans seem to shrug it off. But if the headlines were "Government employee murders father of three" I think that Democrats might be less outraged, but Republicans would probably be outraged.
Wow the internet mob jumping to conclusions again. Can we get his criminal history? What if this 13-year-old boy was threatening them and going for his gun? Surely the police will notify us of his imminent threat! Wait, I found it!

Quote:
In a briefing on Sunday, Sgt Keith Horrocks of Salt Lake City police told reporters officers were responding to reports “a juvenile was having a mental episode” and thought Cameron “had made threats to some folks with a weapon”.
Ha! There is it! Typical people, reading the headline and reacting without waiting for the FACTS and ignoring those that don't FIT your NARRATIVE. I guess this is typical for the progressives around here. If this young boy had a weapon, then clearly the police needed to ACT. We don't know how dangerous he is! What if he killed a police officer? What if he took the weapon and went and killed his neighbour? What horrific DAMAGE could this criminal do if we didn't stop him? Police need to put down any threat, period!

Quote:
Police confirmed they did not find a weapon at the scene.
####... ahh... well... I'm sure this 13-year-old boy was in a gang! And has a record! or something.... anyone? Anyone?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:00 PM   #4929
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're trying to draw an unfair comparison of people thinking a violent adult with a weapon could be reasonably perceived as a threat and a 13 year old unarmed boy without one. There doesn't appear to be much room for nuance anymore.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #4930
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pepsi your starting to embarrass yourself....
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #4931
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Now you've done it. Prepare for a 1600 word response.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:04 PM   #4932
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Are ya'll getting tired of getting called out or what?
Old 09-08-2020, 06:09 PM   #4933
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
You're trying to draw an unfair comparison of people thinking a violent adult with a weapon could be reasonably perceived as a threat and a 13 year old unarmed boy without one. There doesn't appear to be much room for nuance anymore.
It’s actually satire, which you missed the point of entirely. I know “no room for nuance” has kind of become it’s own weird cliche, but I don’t know if the difference between a autistic child having an episode and a grown adult fighting cops and possessing a knife is subtle. It seems like the differences between them are far greater than “nuance,” but that’s just me.

You’re suggesting otherwise? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I don’t feel embarrassed at all, but if you want to be embarrassed for me, carry the torch brother. Don’t let your dreams be dreams.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #4934
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s actually satire, which you missed the point of entirely. I know “no room for nuance” has kind of become it’s own weird cliche, but I don’t know if the difference between a autistic child having an episode and a grown adult fighting cops and possessing a knife is subtle. It seems like the differences between them are far greater than “nuance,” but that’s just me.
Right, but at the risk of appearing to defend a position I don't hold, there are only two possibilities here.

First, you're suggesting that that is going to be the position taken by posters who said similar things about other cases in which the police have shot people. If so, your caricature of them is unfair by your own admission, because you acknowledge that the two situations are very different.

Second, you're satirizing a position that you don't think anyone actually holds. In which case, what is the purpose of the satire?

EDIT: on immediate reflection I don't know why I typed that, because although I think it's right, I honestly don't care.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #4935
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Right, but at the risk of appearing to defend a position I don't hold, there are only two possibilities here.

First, you're suggesting that that is going to be the position taken by posters who said similar things about other cases in which the police have shot people. If so, your caricature of them is unfair by your own admission, because you acknowledge that the two situations are very different.

Second, you're satirizing a position that you don't think anyone actually holds. In which case, what is the purpose of the satire?

EDIT: on immediate reflection I don't know why I typed that, because although I think it's right, I honestly don't care.
I'm satirizing the focus on the typical narratives (criminal history, the over-dependence on police statements which are often proven wrong, and the slippery slope argument) which stop people from critically analyzing each situation by the situation itself, by applying that to a 13-year-old boy with autism, which should be patently ridiculous and obvious satire.

Of course the situations are wildly different and no well-adjusted human being would seriously apply this ridiculousness to this situation, but the typical narrative is an equally silly distraction that is applied without thought again and again. People have a difficult time seeing how criminal history has no bearing in many (not all) of these shootings, but it has become a joke for how widely and casually it's depended on, given how irrelevant of a subject it usually is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #4936
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm satirizing the focus on the typical narratives (criminal history, the over-dependence on police statements which are often proven wrong, and the slippery slope argument) which stop people from critically analyzing each situation by the situation itself, by applying that to a 13-year-old boy with autism, which should be patently ridiculous and obvious satire.

Of course the situations are wildly different and no well-adjusted human being would seriously apply this ridiculousness to this situation, but the typical narrative is an equally silly distraction that is applied without thought again and again. People have a difficult time seeing how criminal history has no bearing in many (not all) of these shootings, but it has become a joke for how widely and casually it's depended on, given how irrelevant of a subject it usually is.
Perfect time for satire. Well thought out.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #4937
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post

I don't know why this is a issue divided by political lines? This is poorly trained police officers executing the only thing they know, the use of lethal force. The mother has every right to be pissed, but this is endemic of a system where mental health services are not funded properly and police are expected to do things beyond the scope of their jobs.

This is exactly what defund the police is about. Take money away from the police, who are spending it on military style technology and units, and give it to community organizations who can support the areas where police have no expertise. Its not political, its common sense.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #4938
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
From the guy who butted into a topic about the upcoming American election and its future implications with "a video game I liked rated a player wrong!" I find your green-text both shocking and hurtful. How dare you.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #4939
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Satire. Sarcasm. Condescension. Direct insult. Kinda his style.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #4940
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From the guy who butted into a topic about the upcoming American election and its future implications with "a video game I liked rated a player wrong!" I find your green-text both shocking and hurtful. How dare you.
It was definitely not a roarin' satire piece on the death of a 13 year old, I'll grant you that.
Closed Thread