Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 01:34 AM   #2961
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
This all happened in Calgary? If not, where were you experiencing this?
Lethbridge, one of the searches was by the RCMP by Fort Macleod
Old 06-16-2020, 01:44 AM   #2962
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
This part of it was so annoying. People used to stick coloured pencils in my hair for entertainment. To some degree I could understand this... they have just never seen afro textured hair and it's foreign to them. I didn't have it in my to stand up for myself.

The first girl I really liked in high school, her dad ended up sitting me down to tell me I couldn't see the daughter anymore because mom wasn't comfortable with it. He was as nice as he could possibly be about it and I respect him for that, but boy that one really hurt. I cried for a long time. That was 2006... not even that long ago. That's the only time in my life where there were thoughts in my head that I didn't want to be black anymore.
I understand the hair thing, but like I said, I felt like I was an animal in a petting zoo. Kids are naturally curious, so I would maybe say racially insensitive, rather than racist as I don't believe there was any motive other than curiosity. I also couldn't stand up for myself, so I feel you there man. But it really drives home you are different, eh?

The dating thing, I totally get too. Except by the time I was old enough to date I'd already heard kids couldn't be friends with me because of my skin. It's truly devastating when you are so Innocent and then some ####### takes that innocence away with bigotry.

I'm really thankful my little sister got our dad's skin tone and hair texture and she doesn't have to deal with this same ####.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 02:13 AM   #2963
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. That's a bit of a reach.

Reading my post again, I'm not even grammatically sure how you made that connection.
Quote:
I'd argue that Candace Owens is racist and nasty, but sure "white out 403". I'll gladly take the timeout.

I and many others don't support her as she has time and time again elevated white interests above ours. The fact that you're pretending like you care or that this offends you is hilarious.
This one did, Acey. Abbreviating it, is insinuating something more than just the name. It could’ve been perceived to be nefarious from WO403. But, it’s not, he’s a Jets fan, honouring their white towel/tribute.

And ya know, I can try, but ultimately, can’t imagine what being marginalized by race would feel like, and know in the midst (hiding amongst), that there are racists, looking down on you. A horrible feeling surely, and to be honest, I think if that’s where your mind went, that’s understandable.

WO403, simply explaining the name, de-escalates the damn thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 02:20 AM   #2964
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
It's not even just the police, it's society in general.

In school other kids would constantly touch my hair without my permission, it was like I was some kind of zoo animal. It happened from elementary through University, after Jr. High it was pretty much exclusively girls doing it).

Before I met my wife, I tried online dating and at least 1 of 3 comments were something about BBC or saying they'd never been with a black guy before.

I get followed in many stores by staff.

I've been pulled over 3 times this year, twice asked if they could search my car. I complied because I had nothing to hide and who knows what would happen if I didn't. I've never had a single demerit on my license, hell I've never even got a photo radar or parking ticket. I've been pulled over so many times in my life that I lost count. I've been assaulted by having my head slammed into the hood of my car and had a gun pointed at my head.

I can't go for a walk without at least 1 person yelling some kind of slur at me.

Systemic racism is definitely a problem, but so is good old fashioned regular racism.
Jesus Christ, I’m saddened, shamed, remorseful, and hopeful for humanity. Thanks for sharing this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #2965
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This part of it was so annoying. People used to stick coloured pencils in my hair for entertainment. To some degree I could understand this... they have just never seen afro textured hair and it's foreign to them. I didn't have it in my to stand up for myself.

The first girl I really liked in high school, her dad ended up sitting me down to tell me I couldn't see the daughter anymore because mom wasn't comfortable with it. He was as nice as he could possibly be about it and I respect him for that, but boy that one really hurt. I cried for a long time. That was 2006... not even that long ago. That's the only time in my life where there were thoughts in my head that I didn't want to be black anymore.
I can relate to you in a way with this. I was dating a cuban girl and had they same thing happen. And a few years after I had a close friend and co worker who I wasn't allowed into the house he lived in . He lived with his grandparents who where immigrants from China and didn't want me in because I was non Chinese.

I know it's not the same thing as the systemic racism against minorities in N.A as needs to be discussed and fixed here . Those events tho always stuck with me tho and always made sure I treated everyone equally. It always made me imagine if I was in Cuba or China how would I feel being the minority and to be treated like that on a consistent basis. I wouldn't have liked it nor felt like I was human .

I don't know if telling these stories make any sense in the greater conversation of whats going on or its a poor little white boy story but the overall point I'm trying to make is It's 100% logical with whats going on with the protests. With the further reach of globalization we see minorities in every country being oppressed. I how this movement dosen't just reach first world countries but in other nations lile turkey with the kurds,Isreal with Palestinians , Tibet and china, etc etc.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #2966
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this is "old news " by now but I feel this needs to be posted and watched every day .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #2967
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #2968
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, running away shot 2 times in the back .. in the back !!! I give no ####s he had a tazer. Even if he had tazed on cop, the second was there to ensure he couldn't disarm the the tazed cop. Who believes that tazing the first cop lets him retrieve that officers wrapon when they are so far apart? Rashard Brooks was so far fo
Rom the first officer in pursuit there is no way he tazes him run back and grabs his gun.

Typical "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"? Police / military's mantras teached.

]

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-16-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #2969
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Man running away shot 2 times in the back .. in the back !!! I give no ####s he had a tazer. Even if he had tazed on coo the secind was there to ensure he couldnt disarm the the tazed cop. Who believes that tazing the first cop lets him retrieve that officers wrapon when they are so far apart? Rashard Brooks was so far fo
Rom the fiart officcer in pursuit thwre is no way he tazes him run back and frabs his gun.

Typical "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"? Policr / military mantea teached.
I am not one to typically complain about spelling but man does it take away from this post. My eyes are bleeding.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #2970
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Here's an example of white privilege that I've come to learn to accept.

I often hear people say "well if a cop asked me if it was my car, I'd just show it was my car and move on"

and candidly, I'm sure, at some point in my young life, I probably thought that way too. And then I listened to PoCs and realized, this doesn't just happen once and you know what, if it happened a couple of times a year, after the 5th time, I'd probably tell the cop to go #### himself and then it's on.

In my life I've had a copy "profile" me once. My friends and I were standing outside of the 7-11 in Queensland/Deer Ridge. We had just finished playing basketball at a nearby park, on a friday night, dressed in sports clothes, all sweaty and we had gone to get slurpees (loser buys).

A cop pulls out as we are hanging outside waiting for our friends and says "You guys can't loiter here, get out of here" I responded "we're just waiting for our friends" and he screamed "I SAID DISPERSE AND IF I COME BACK OUT AND YOU'RE STILL HERE WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM"

It was brutal, it was 21 years ago, and compared to some of the interactions I hear PoCs have with the police, it's literally nothing, but it still sticks with me, like, i was doing nothing wrong. I cannot imagine dealing with that on a even a semi regular basis in so many different aspects of my life.
Even the 'just comply' comment is disingenuous.

If you've done nothing wrong and someone starts screaming at you - its not easy to react calmly. I had a cop once pull me over thinking I was drinking and driving (I wasn't). The cop starting screaming at me to breath in his face and I started yelling back at him. I avoid conflict like the plague, but if you've done nothing wrong and are trying to comply with their request and someone gets in your face and starts screaming at you - it's pretty hard to stay calm.

If I wasn't a white guy - who knows how that ends up going for me. And how would I react if this was happening to me every few months like Crown Royal talks about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 08:06 AM   #2971
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am not one to typically complain about spelling but man does it take away from this post. My eyes are bleeding.
Well I went back and fixed what I could . I'm sorry the biggest cimplaint you have is my spelling and not the murder. I'm just assuming the spelling was your biggest problem since that what you focused your complaint on and not the topic of discussion.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-16-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #2972
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
What?

We're looking for behavioral change right? Acey jokingly said that he hoped such a stat did not exist, so i found something general. If blacks are getting targeted at a particular area of the city (the busy Tim Horton), I think that's cause for some amateur sleuthing. Put in some Freedom of Information requests. Write in some letters. See what the city has to say or if they ignore it. Because it's absolutely not okay.

Heck I got questioned by the cops about 2 weeks ago and I get treated better.

Do you ever stop to think how stupid something sounds before you post it?

Sometimes I literally shake my head in disbelief that a grown adult could come up with some of the insanely stupid stuff you post on a weekly basis.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #2973
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if telling these stories make any sense in the greater conversation of whats going on or its a poor little white boy story but the overall point I'm trying to make is It's 100% logical with whats going on with the protests. With the further reach of globalization we see minorities in every country being oppressed. I how this movement dosen't just reach first world countries but in other nations lile turkey with the kurds,Isreal with Palestinians , Tibet and china, etc etc.
Yeah it's completely relevant; not being able to date somebody because of race or cultural things is not unique to me by any means, and it definitely sucks for anybody that has ever had that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
This one did, Acey. Abbreviating it, is insinuating something more than just the name. It could’ve been perceived to be nefarious from WO403. But, it’s not, he’s a Jets fan, honouring their white towel/tribute.
I dunno. I don't spend a ton of time in FoI but I can see the Jets thing in his avatar. It's pretty obviously about hockey. If I had any reason to believe he was a white supremacist I wouldn't even engage in any conversation.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #2974
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While I've been vocal about the negative things recently, I feel with sharing my negative experiences with police, that it is unfair that I don't share this wonderful experience with police as well. If you read the thread about the safe consumption sites, you will already know that I have been off work for a while due to being stabbed by a junkie and the subsequent PTSD afterwards, or maybe you read and forgot.

Anyways it was two police officers that saved my life. The one officer yelled to his partner to help me while he started looking for the assailant by himself, thus putting himself in danger. Not only did they save my life, once paramedics arrived, they managed to apprehend the junkie, who resisted and tried to use the knife on them too. They managed to subdue him with no more than a bloody nose from the takedown and pepper spray in his eyes. These officers also checked on me in hospital and have called me at home to see how I am doing a couple times.

In case you were wondering as this thread is race related, both officers are white and the guy who stabbed me is aboriginal.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:37 AM   #2975
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Even the 'just comply' comment is disingenuous.

If you've done nothing wrong and someone starts screaming at you - its not easy to react calmly. I had a cop once pull me over thinking I was drinking and driving (I wasn't). The cop starting screaming at me to breath in his face and I started yelling back at him. I avoid conflict like the plague, but if you've done nothing wrong and are trying to comply with their request and someone gets in your face and starts screaming at you - it's pretty hard to stay calm.

If I wasn't a white guy - who knows how that ends up going for me. And how would I react if this was happening to me every few months like Crown Royal talks about.
"Just comply" is what an occupying force says to the occupied.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #2976
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hal Johnson, co-host of the BodyBreak PSAs with his now-wife Joanne MacLeod, recently posted a video on YouTube where he said the series wasn't originally created to promote physical fitness but was instead a Trojan horse to address racism in Canada.

Hal had earlier applied for a job at TSN. The producers loved his on-air personality and even offered him a position, but they subsequently withdrew the offer because senior management said "we already have one black reporter" (as if there's a limit). When he pitched the BodyBreak idea to TSN a few years later, they were again very enthusiastic and receptive, but they said they couldn't air a segment featuring a black man and a white woman. They'd only pick up the series if Hal agreed to be replaced with a white man. Instead, Hal and Joanne took their idea to the federal government, who agreed to fund the series of PSAs without re-casting a white man in Hal's place. They subsequently produced dozens of segments which have been seen by millions of Canadians over the years.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #2977
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I understand the hair thing, but like I said, I felt like I was an animal in a petting zoo. Kids are naturally curious, so I would maybe say racially insensitive, rather than racist as I don't believe there was any motive other than curiosity. I also couldn't stand up for myself, so I feel you there man. But it really drives home you are different, eh?

The dating thing, I totally get too. Except by the time I was old enough to date I'd already heard kids couldn't be friends with me because of my skin. It's truly devastating when you are so Innocent and then some ####### takes that innocence away with bigotry.

I'm really thankful my little sister got our dad's skin tone and hair texture and she doesn't have to deal with this same ####.
I was guilty of this.

In 8th grade my friend Coy had a huge Afro that was flat on the top. He loved to tease me about my shoes ( I had some weird shoes then) so I started putting my notebook on top of his head as he sat next to me in class.

Then he would walk me to the next class with the notebook still on his head. He was a prankster and that haircut really had the perfect flat angle.

My hometown in NJ was such a bubble at the time. Believe it or not interracial dating was common and this was the 70s. Just the next town over things were so different. And I’m sure there were things I didn’t notice in my town. Football is still incredibly important there, and when I was growing up many of our best players were black so maybe that had something to do with it. I don’t know.

Last edited by missdpuck; 06-16-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #2978
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
I was guilty of this.

In 8th grade my friend Coy had a huge Afro that was flat on the top. He loved to tease me about my shoes ( I had some weird shoes then) so I started putting my notebook on top of his head as he sat next to me in class.

Then he would walk me to the next class with the notebook still on his head. He was a prankster and that haircut really had the perfect flat angle.

My hometown in NJ was such a bubble at the time. Believe it or not interracial dating was common and this was the 70s. Just the next town over things were so different. And I’m sure there were things I didn’t notice in my town. Football is still incredibly important there, and when I was growing up many of our best players were black so maybe that had something to do with it. I don’t know.
Honestly, that probably wouldn't have bothered me because of the friendship and give and take of it. It is more when it is acquaintances and strangers getting in your personal space to touch you because you're different.

My friend Tracy who is white has similar stories as she lived in Colombia for a couple years when she was young and all the Colombian kids would touch her hair because she was the only blonde in the school.

Last edited by Crown Royal; 06-16-2020 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 10:14 AM   #2979
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I in no way want to equate my experiences, but as a white kid with a fro, people stuck stuff in my hair, too. Kids are jerks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #2980
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with Acey, this is 100% a good thing to post.

Racism is racism, it doesn't matter if someone is white, black, Asian, Latino, Aboriginal, Middle Eastern... etc. If you dislike someone and treat them poorly because of the color of your skin, you are racist.

One big problem I have is hearing someone say "you can be racist against ___" or "you can't be racist if you are ____" Racism is racism and it is always bad.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread