Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #4941
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Satire. Sarcasm. Condescension. Direct insult. Kinda his style.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
You forgot beauty, warmth, charm, and wit. I also do BBQ really, really well.

If you're going to try to sell me, don't sell me short fanboy!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #4942
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

If you're going to try to sell me, don't sell me short fanboy!
I rest my case. Too easy.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #4943
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You could have just said the BBQ part, the rest is kind of superfluous.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #4944
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kenosha police wouldn't just shoot an unarmed person point point blank right? Stary going into the Micheal Bell case and you see what kenosha police have been like. They original said he grabbed the officers gun and committed suicide but 15 years later there has ner been evidence to support that.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-09-2020 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:16 AM   #4945
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't know why this is a issue divided by political lines? This is poorly trained police officers executing the only thing they know, the use of lethal force. The mother has every right to be pissed, but this is endemic of a system where mental health services are not funded properly and police are expected to do things beyond the scope of their jobs.
There are arguments to be made about police being asked to handle stuff they're not good at and underfunded mental health services, and it's good to talk about that, but I don't think that's the issue here.

A ton of people end up in these situations in their lives, it's just something that happens because autistic people interact with other people. I've had to deal with autistic people having fits multiple times in my career as a taxi driver, especially since I've started driving a handicap taxi, just like I've had to deal with many other kinds of people throwing fits for seemingly random reasons.

Not resorting to violence and/or lethal force in these situations is what I'd call a minimal requirement for allowing someone to freely take part in society. Tons of people can do this without any training. It's extremely rare for people to resort to this level of violence in these situations, ever.

When you hear about this stuff, it's basically just American police officers.

If you're specifically called in to help with an autistic child and your response is shooting that child multiple times, you're just a POS person who is obviously prone to homicidal violence, should be put in jail and should never be allowed to own a gun or be allowed to work in law enforcement.

The US police is failing to pass a standard so ridiculously low here they have to look up to see the bar that says "basic humanity".

That's not a funding issue.

Last edited by Itse; 09-09-2020 at 04:55 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #4946
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't help but notice that the autistic kids back in our high school's special needs program never needed to be put down with a handgun by the teachers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #4947
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPS took out a 12 year old autistic kid a couple years ago. Caved his head in while handcuffed. I think it's a bad combo of terrible training...dealing with the behavior, not the situation. And having a monstrous ego that won't allow any perceived threat to your authority.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 10:25 PM   #4948
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Fans in Kansas City booed their black QB and the rest of their own team for supporting BLM tonight. Led by Mahomes and Houston QB Watson, both teams joined arm and arm while messages of equality flashed on the scoreboard. The fans booed that too.

Classy bunch of fans. Hopefully none of them get Covid from attending that game. Lol j/k. That’d be hilarious.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #4949
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Fans in Kansas City booed their black QB and the rest of their own team for supporting BLM tonight. Led by Mahomes and Houston QB Watson, both teams joined arm and arm while messages of equality flashed on the scoreboard. The fans booed that too.

Classy bunch of fans. Hopefully none of them get Covid from attending that game. Lol j/k. That’d be hilarious.
The small minority that were resolute it was appropriate, followed by a larger segment compelled to come out of the closet and do the same.

There is so much deep, deep damage in society that enables the rejection of critical thought. The response to BLM has been, personally, so enlightening on how very, very, VERY much work needs to be done, despite my previous belief we were on the cusp of a generation or two dying out.

We don't seem to be approaching even the end of the beginning.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #4950
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
There are arguments to be made about police being asked to handle stuff they're not good at and underfunded mental health services, and it's good to talk about that, but I don't think that's the issue here.
That's exactly the issue here. Mental Health Services have seen their budgets crippled over the past three decades and as a result the police has to handle calls for service that traditionally went to a different agency. If this woman had the option she could have called appropriate Mental Health Services that had trained people who would recognize someone on the spectrum and be equipped to handle the problem. Instead she was forced to call 911 and had police dispatched who had not idea what to do, did not recognize the situation, and had no training in how to handle the child in question. This never would have happened if the appropriate agency was funded properly.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:31 AM   #4951
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's exactly the issue here. Mental Health Services have seen their budgets crippled over the past three decades and as a result the police has to handle calls for service that traditionally went to a different agency. If this woman had the option she could have called appropriate Mental Health Services that had trained people who would recognize someone on the spectrum and be equipped to handle the problem. Instead she was forced to call 911 and had police dispatched who had not idea what to do, did not recognize the situation, and had no training in how to handle the child in question. This never would have happened if the appropriate agency was funded properly.
Yeah I really can't agree with that.

Literally any two not-crazy adults should and would have handled that better.

If the mother had called her neighbor for help and that neighbor shot the kid, no one would defend that neighbor for one second. It wasn't even that these cops didn't know what they were getting into, so that's not even an excuse.

Yeah there should be trained mental health professionals on call for situations like this, but unfortunately almost no country has that. Cops have to deal with this stuff in a lot of places. Elsewhere it's just a given that you never shoot the children you're supposed to be helping.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:13 PM   #4952
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those dangerous teens ..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/10/us/lo...bowling-alley/
Old 09-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #4953
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If the mother had called her neighbor for help and that neighbor shot the kid, no one would defend that neighbor for one second. It wasn't even that these cops didn't know what they were getting into, so that's not even an excuse.

Yeah there should be trained mental health professionals on call for situations like this, but unfortunately almost no country has that. Cops have to deal with this stuff in a lot of places. Elsewhere it's just a given that you never shoot the children you're supposed to be helping.
I don't know if literally any not to crazy Adult can handle an Autistic person as easily as you think when they have a episode. It's not like in the movies or t.v shows where they bear hug them to get them under control.

My wife is a nurse and her specialty is carrying for people with autism. She has clients all over the spectrum. I've seen what she has to deal with at times and I can tell you a regular person nor most police officers have the neccessary tools to deal with people with mental disabilities. Depending on the type of disability to there are other medical conditions at play to alot of the times you need to be aware of to properly manage a situation. She does a wonderful job at it but shes got medical and psychology training to handle it. The police definitely don't have the training required. The way they are trained to deescalate won't work and if somethings already in progress their just going to try to forcibly get the situation under control by trying to get people in hand cuffs. That's not going to work with alot of the specteum and will escalate things quickly.

Becoming a police officer should be a 4 year degree like anything else. You want to weed out the bad apples you do that. I almost guarentee the bad ones most likely aren't going to either pass or complete 4 years of schooling

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-11-2020 at 12:38 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #4954
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is the reality we in the US face. Social and municipal services continue to be cut, but police budgets continue to receive funding for "special projects" that lead to further militarization of the force. Its crazy. A municipality I worked for eliminated Animal Control and all calls went to the Police Department. You'll never guess what happened? The incidents of animals getting shot sky rocketed. Why? Because cops aren't prepared for or trained to handle that situation either, but they know how to handle a threat, and that's to put it down with extreme force.

San Diego Unified School District Police got one of these bad boys from the Feds.

Imagine what could have been done for the community if that $733,000 was spent on mental health professionals instead of a piece of military hardware for a school district!!! The warrior mentality continues to spread because we equip them and threat them like they are military. Defund this #### and give the money to social services. Our communities will be much better off for it and kids with autism won't be shot as a result.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #4955
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The windows aren't even well-suited for efficient application of mace into child faces. What a waste of money.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #4956
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

THAT made me laugh out loud! Thank you!
Old 09-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #4957
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is the reality we in the US face. Social and municipal services continue to be cut, but police budgets continue to receive funding for "special projects" that lead to further militarization of the force. Its crazy. A municipality I worked for eliminated Animal Control and all calls went to the Police Department. You'll never guess what happened? The incidents of animals getting shot sky rocketed. Why? Because cops aren't prepared for or trained to handle that situation either, but they know how to handle a threat, and that's to put it down with extreme force.

San Diego Unified School District Police got one of these bad boys from the Feds.

Imagine what could have been done for the community if that $733,000 was spent on mental health professionals instead of a piece of military hardware for a school district!!! The warrior mentality continues to spread because we equip them and threat them like they are military. Defund this #### and give the money to social services. Our communities will be much better off for it and kids with autism won't be shot as a result.
While I don't disagree with the demilitarization, to be fair, they didn't pay $733k as you said. They got it for free from the DOD's Excess Property Program.

But the sight of it at a school is pretty alarming. The world changed with Columbine and Bank of America no doubt.

Last edited by Captain Otto; 09-11-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #4958
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I don't disagree with the demilitarization, to he fair, they didn't pay $733k as you said. They got it for free from the DOD's Excess Property Program.
Clearly missing the point. Wasted money on military hardware that does not help the local community. Save the armored vehicle and give the community the $733K to the agencies that provide essential services.

Quote:
But the sight of it at a school is pretty alarming. The world changed with Columbine and Bank of America no doubt.
Columbine had nothing to do with the militarization of law enforcement. You can blame that on the Patriot Act and DHS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 02:55 PM   #4959
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Clearly missing the point. Wasted money on military hardware that does not help the local community. Save the armored vehicle and give the community the $733K to the agencies that provide essential services.

Columbine had nothing to do with the militarization of law enforcement. You can blame that on the Patriot Act and DHS.
But that's not what you said. You said if "that" money implying that $733k was spent on an armoured vehicle. There wasn't $733k just kicking around.

Columbine ABSOLUTELY changed the face of policing from tactics to training to equipment.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #4960
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I don't disagree with the demilitarization, to be fair, they didn't pay $733k as you said. They got it for free from the DOD's Excess Property Program.

with respect if they hadnt given it to Polk High they would have sold it to some smaller countries army for 733k which then in theory could have been spent on something, nothing is free
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread