Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #5301
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.
 
flames_fan_down_under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kitsilano
Exp:
Default

Definitely would be nice if hospitalizations did remain low in SA, however we will have to wait and see. Just trying to remain optimistic as it's been hard lately.
flames_fan_down_under is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #5302
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.
 
flames_fan_down_under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kitsilano
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It's infuriating to see this happen again after governments had 21 months to consider a worst-case scenario and how to deal with it. We should be pushing third doses to anyone who wants one ASAP, but we delay and delay and delay and wait for more evidence.

Just do the right ####ing thing. I cannot believe we are pushing ourselves back to square one!
Totally.

Not excusing the government but is it a procurement issue like before where the USA is still first in line for all 3rd doses and we get our orders fulfilled once they have their numbers?
flames_fan_down_under is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 04:42 PM   #5303
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I think you have to read everything he says for full context.



But it is a bit confusing how he addresses it. First he say its a myth that is milder, then he says it wishful thinking to call it mild because 'we simply don't know.' Agreed that we don't know, and statistically it makes sense that if there are 10x more cases, there will be a big concern with hospital rates.

In regards to the age thing, we need to double down on the older than 50 crowd with booster availability. Not sure why the government is lagging so much on this. We could essentially cut the risk for the at risk group drastically, but by now its probably too late.
He really should be saying that the data to support Omicron being less virulent is anecdotal and has not been adjusted for population level immunity or demographics.

We will find out soon enough though.
GGG is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #5304
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Totally.

Not excusing the government but is it a procurement issue like before where the USA is still first in line for all 3rd doses and we get our orders fulfilled once they have their numbers?
Per the province's numbers, we've received 8.79m doses and only administered 7.09m doses so far, so I don't think supply is our problem. Plenty of appointments available for 18+ boosters too (5-11 don't go through the pharmacies).
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #5305
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Totally.

Not excusing the government but is it a procurement issue like before where the USA is still first in line for all 3rd doses and we get our orders fulfilled once they have their numbers?
Supply shouldn't be an issue. Canada has about 10M more doses on hand than we've administered and we are owed about 50M doses of Pfizer and Moderna for 2021 that we haven't received. Most of those have been diverted to countries with lesser supplies, but there's no reason we couldn't have had more on hand right now and then diverted January deliveries to those places (we have contracts for up to 100M doses of Pfizer and Moderna for 2022).
opendoor is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #5306
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!
 
Torture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Per the province's numbers, we've received 8.79m doses and only administered 7.09m doses so far, so I don't think supply is our problem. Plenty of appointments available for 18+ boosters too (5-11 don't go through the pharmacies).
Despite the "open to everyone" announcement from the government you can't book a booster unless your 60+, have significant underlying health conditions, have mixed doses and are travelling internationally, or if you're a health care worker, indigenous, etc

To your point, we have the shots in AB, we have open appointments but we aren't putting them in arms because we haven't opened up booster availability to any significant portion of the population.

Last edited by Torture; 12-13-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Torture is online now  
Old 12-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #5307
corporatejay
Franchise Player
 
corporatejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Per the province's numbers, we've received 8.79m doses and only administered 7.09m doses so far, so I don't think supply is our problem. Plenty of appointments available for 18+ boosters too (5-11 don't go through the pharmacies).
Joe Six Pack and Susie Lunch Pail can't book their third doses yet. It's a very narrow subset of people who are eligible
__________________
corporatejay is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to corporatejay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #5308
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Yes, my saying there are plenty of appointments available is in the context of “the current age group isn’t saturating the availability of resources to administer boosters”.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #5309
DoubleK
Franchise Player
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Joe Six Pack and Susie Lunch Pail can't book their third doses yet. It's a very narrow subset of people who are eligible
If you are due for a booster you can get one at any pharmacy. They aren't turning anyone away.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #5310
Flames0910
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Oh #### me, Omicron is spreading 3x faster than Delta in Ontario, has a doubling time of just three days and Rt of 4.01 vs ~1.0 for Delta.

And just two weeks to Christmas. #### #### ####.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/why-o...d-19-1.6283611
https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/ontario-dashboard/

Edit: saw this was posted on the previous page. Guess that gives this news an R of 2. If two more of you post this we can reach the same R value as Omicron.

Last edited by Flames0910; 12-13-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Flames0910 is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #5311
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
If you are due for a booster you can get one at any pharmacy. They aren't turning anyone away.
There is also nothing stopping anyone 18+ from booking a shot either. Thereís no validation system that will prevent you from booking the appointment. Just like the Phase 2B shots in the spring, it appears it is entirely the honour system once again.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is offline  
Old 12-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #5312
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player
 
Snuffleupagus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
There is also nothing stopping anyone 18+ from booking a shot either. Thereís no validation system that will prevent you from booking the appointment. Just like the Phase 2B shots in the spring, it appears it is entirely the honour system once again.
I tried to get a booster last week, 6 months since my 2nd shot but since Iím 59 they said no.
Snuffleupagus is offline  
Old 12-14-2021, 05:00 AM   #5313
TorqueDog
Franchise Player
 
TorqueDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Calgary - Centre West
Exp:
Default

12+ can book online, I booked our shots online for late January. By that point, boosters for our age range will already be opened up.

If you book earlier than that and don’t qualify by age when you arrive, then it’s the honour system. They might ask what you’re on, but otherwise, no evidence required to say you’re immunocompromised. Frankly, I would just lie at this point if I was in your shoes. There’s no rhyme or reason for delaying it, and if the province isn’t going to follow medical guidance for booster timing without this stupid age range nonsense, then people should use the loophole they’ve left open to get the booster in a timely fashion based on the time passed since their most recent dose.
__________________
-James
GO
FLAMES GO.

How to immensely improve the CalgaryPuck experience, click below:

TorqueDog is offline  
Old 12-14-2021, 07:20 AM   #5314
PeteMoss
Franchise Player
 
PeteMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Ontario
Exp:
Default

Ontario has opened boosters to 50+ after 168 days or something of your second shot. Will be opened to all by Jan 4.
PeteMoss is offline  
Old 12-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #5315
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

In the UK Omicron is doubling every 2-3 days. We had 30 cases, last I heard. By Christmas, that would be 2000 at 3 days doubling, or 122,880 at 2 days doubling. Even at the lower 3x rate, we'll be at 30,000 by Jan 1 which is around our previous active case high was ~21,000 on Sept 26th. Will we follow the UK pattern? Too soon to tell. But we should probably get going on those boosters...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He has a blue checkmark next to his name, therefore his opinion is important.
Fuzz is online now  
Old 12-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #5316
PuckSlap
Scoring Winger
 
PuckSlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We were all feeling a bit sick (sneezing, runny nose, sore throat), but none of the telltale covid symptoms. Got tested and results came back negative. Guess just a regular cold going around now.

My wife had the same thing. Same with a few coworkers. But the standard symptoms of the new variant seem to be slightly closer to a flu or cold. So who knows


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline  
Old 12-14-2021, 07:41 AM   #5317
PuckSlap
Scoring Winger
 
PuckSlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
In the UK Omicron is doubling every 2-3 days. We had 30 cases, last I heard. By Christmas, that would be 2000 at 3 days doubling, or 122,880 at 2 days doubling. Even at the lower 3x rate, we'll be at 30,000 by Jan 1 which is around our previous active case high was ~21,000 on Sept 26th. Will we follow the UK pattern? Too soon to tell. But we should probably get going on those boosters...

Any reason why you need a booster? Iím definitely not getting one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PuckSlap is offline  
Old 12-14-2021, 07:52 AM   #5318
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
Any reason why you need a booster? I’m definitely not getting one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Preliminary data from the U.K. Health Security Agency indicates protection from symptomatic infection with omicron may be close to zero for those vaccinated with double AstraZeneca, and less than 40 per cent for those with two shots of Pfizer. The same report indicated that booster doses could increase protection to around 75 per cent. This is bolstered by other research that has shown third shots increase antibodies about 40 times, making them an effective and key policy response to control omicron - but only if we move swiftly.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opin...283812?cmp=rss

Science, that's why. And I've already got mine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He has a blue checkmark next to his name, therefore his opinion is important.
Fuzz is online now  
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #5319
chedder
#1 Goaltender
 
chedder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Exp:
Default

Anyone know why we're, all of a sudden, getting all these low post count trolls in this thread?
chedder is online now  
Old 12-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #5320
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Anyone know why we're, all of a sudden, getting all these low post count trolls in this thread?
Returning posters that were banned for their trolling earlier?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
He has a blue checkmark next to his name, therefore his opinion is important.
Fuzz is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Calgary Flames
2022-23




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021