Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2022, 12:00 PM   #1381
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Were they expedited at all? Or was that based on their posted “processing time”?

I applied in person in early April and as of last week they hadn’t even started processing my application (for travel in July). If you haven’t done so I would try to follow-up to confirm they have been printed and mailed out by now, or at least are in the process of doing so.
Not expedited at all. We went that route as Calgary wasn't taking walkins for trips later then 25 days out. Mail was an option, but had heard 2 - 3 month turnaround times, so opted to book a Brooks appointment with Service Canada expecting faster turnaround than mail.

The missus claims there is an online portal or form to check on status, but if she completed it, we haven't heard peep on it.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:11 PM   #1382
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambé View Post
Not expedited at all. We went that route as Calgary wasn't taking walkins for trips later then 25 days out. Mail was an option, but had heard 2 - 3 month turnaround times, so opted to book a Brooks appointment with Service Canada expecting faster turnaround than mail.

The missus claims there is an online portal or form to check on status, but if she completed it, we haven't heard peep on it.
I also submitted the online request to check the status, and never heard back. As an FYI, my ETA because I applied in person was May 17, which has obviously long passed.

I don't know how easy it is to get through on the phone, but I managed to get an online appointment to go down to Harry Hays to ask for the status. Upon learning they hadn't begun processing it yet, I requested that the file be transferred to Calgary so I could pick up the passports when they are ready (cost $20 per application). I'm hoping they call me soon to let me know it's printed, but worst case scenario I will bring in new applications/photos the week prior to us leaving, because they are prioritizing urgent applications over everyone else.

My intention is not to throw you into a panic, but I personally wouldn't assume they will arrive on time as their stated processing times don't appear to be accurate at all...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #1383
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My data point on the status update process is that it seems like they won't provide an update until your application moves a step in the process. We submit an update request in mid April and received an update a month later saying that our application is being processed. Basically if your application is just sitting with Service Canada you won't get an update until something happens with your file.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 07:56 PM   #1384
Flambé
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I also submitted the online request to check the status, and never heard back. As an FYI, my ETA because I applied in person was May 17, which has obviously long passed.

I don't know how easy it is to get through on the phone, but I managed to get an online appointment to go down to Harry Hays to ask for the status. Upon learning they hadn't begun processing it yet, I requested that the file be transferred to Calgary so I could pick up the passports when they are ready (cost $20 per application). I'm hoping they call me soon to let me know it's printed, but worst case scenario I will bring in new applications/photos the week prior to us leaving, because they are prioritizing urgent applications over everyone else.

My intention is not to throw you into a panic, but I personally wouldn't assume they will arrive on time as their stated processing times don't appear to be accurate at all...
I appreciate the insight. Probably a good thing we are driving into the US so don't actually need the kids passports. Birth Certificates are in hand.

Still, damnable Service Canada. I drove to Brooks for goodness sake.
Flambé is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flambé For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 12:30 AM   #1385
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
We recently tested positive on our return PCRs for travel from the US back home. We stayed an extra 9 days, returning home on the 30th after having a positive test collected on the 19th. Wasn't an issue getting home at all, in fact ended up getting steered through a separate lane exiting the customs hall that bypassed the on arrival testing completely. So it was very smooth.

Westjet charged a $125/person cancellation fee, which didn't seem to match with the policy when we booked the tickets to me. Maybe they'd have waived it if we could have talked to them, but that isn't actually possible.

We submitted a claim to manulife. They have a big pop up indicating they won't cover anything you get back as a credit from an airline, so all we claimed is the $125 cancel fees and the extra hotel nights. That is still in "Document Review" according to their website. It is also not possible to talk to a person there right now, but you can submit claims online.

All in all it wasn't that big a deal. I'm not sure whether Manulife will pay or not, their claims form indicates you need a long form signed by the physician who diagnosed the condition. Since we just had positive PCRs that didn't really seem possible. I'll be annoyed if they don't but it isn't critical either. Nobody had any symptoms of note, worst was 1.5 days of a mild cold. (Adults 2x vaccinated, kids 1x vaccinated)
A couple of people had asked me to follow up on this, so I'll mention that Manulife did finally pay out. It took 4 months from when I submitted the claim. We didn't claim anything other than the cancel fee for the flights, so we ate some on the flight rebooking, but they paid for 100% of the extra 9 days of accommodations. They declined the claim for the extra rental car days.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #1386
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone done a NEXUS application recently? I'm just wondering what they have found for lead time on those with all of these issues at airports
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #1387
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Has anyone done a NEXUS application recently? I'm just wondering what they have found for lead time on those with all of these issues at airports
From the comments I've seen in recent months, it isn't pretty, particularly when it comes to getting the interview appointment.

In early May appointments for Nexus interviews were occasionally coming up for October, but disappeared quickly. It requires checking constantly.

One person returning from Sweetgrass today took a picture of the note they found on the door:

300,000 Nexus applications to get through in Canada as of early June. Could take a while if Sweetgrass is any indication. Doesn't sound too much better in Blaine from Vancouver travellers.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:43 PM   #1388
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
A couple of people had asked me to follow up on this, so I'll mention that Manulife did finally pay out. It took 4 months from when I submitted the claim. We didn't claim anything other than the cancel fee for the flights, so we ate some on the flight rebooking, but they paid for 100% of the extra 9 days of accommodations. They declined the claim for the extra rental car days.
Was that the covid 19 pandemic travel plan? I'm planning to travel in July and want insurance to cover if I get stuck somewhere for an unexpected two weeks.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #1389
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Was that the covid 19 pandemic travel plan? I'm planning to travel in July and want insurance to cover if I get stuck somewhere for an unexpected two weeks.
Not sure where you are traveling, but there are no longer testing requirements for boarding any aircraft traveling anywhere in NA. No idea how this works for other international travel.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #1390
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Not sure where you are traveling, but there are no longer testing requirements for boarding any aircraft traveling anywhere in NA. No idea how this works for other international travel.
Portugal. They are full of rules there...
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #1391
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it was the specific covid plan. They did cover the extra accommodation cost, it just took a long time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 07:52 PM   #1392
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it looks like WestJet is going to change their business a bit and re-focus on western Canada to manage costs which will make Air Canada the only carrier again to provide national flights. This might move some of the US destined flights back to fly out of YYC and YVR though via WestJet.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #1393
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Portugal. They are full of rules there...
As I understand it, you do not require testing for return to Canada. So you can't test positive (and be quarantined for 10 days), unless you take that path.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:52 PM   #1394
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

First flight tomorrow since returning from a work trip in Winnipeg the night before the shut the NHL down in 2020. Heading to Vegas. Glad we don’t have to test to get down there but fairly silly the masking is still a requirement. Oh well good to be traveling again after 2 years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2022, 08:54 PM   #1395
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
As I understand it, you do not require testing for return to Canada. So you can't test positive (and be quarantined for 10 days), unless you take that path.
Well, I won't test just for the hell of it, but I want to be covered in case I get sick enough not to travel but don't need hospitalization. I'm also not sure what would happen if someone I was on a day trip with tested positive. Would I legally be required to quarantine? The insurance is under $50, so worth it not to have to worry, IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2022, 12:39 PM   #1396
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I won't test just for the hell of it, but I want to be covered in case I get sick enough not to travel but don't need hospitalization. I'm also not sure what would happen if someone I was on a day trip with tested positive. Would I legally be required to quarantine? The insurance is under $50, so worth it not to have to worry, IMO.
I'm maybe not objective (because I got like a 30 or 40:1 payout on mine) but I think it makes sense to get it.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #1397
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

My Sister In-Law who is not vaccinated has booked a return trip from Europe to Calgary but she first lands in Toronto.
She has been told that by landing in Toronto before coming to Calgary that she will have to quarantine there before coming home.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

She might have to bite the bullet and change her ticket.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:06 PM   #1398
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

More negative press for Canadian airports, this time YUL after Grand Prix weekend.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jere...CKBkHc3Mwq883A

https://twitter.com/user/status/1538670556345782272

https://twitter.com/user/status/1538671197713739776
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #1399
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I lost luggage in Montreal last week. Both my flight to and back from the States was an unmitigated disaster. I don't think I'm going to be flying again any time soon.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #1400
Johnny199r
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I haven’t checked baggage in years. Everyone’s bag is getting lost this year.

It seems a viscous cycle of planes being stuck on runways, pilots timing out or being sick and then delayed planes no longer being available for the next route.

The U.S is having problems as well, but not as bad as Canada.

Air Canada was doing pretty well with their reliability up to maybe two months ago and then they joined the WestJet club by having reliability go down the toilet. WestJet has been absolute crap since the pandemic started.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote