Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2023, 07:25 AM   #5221
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone have experience with those DIY spray-foam insulation kits (the ones where you get little propane-like bottles)?

Have some "airtight" recessed cans in my attic that are clearly not airtight, so some humid air is coming through & freezing from them. Debating if I blast em with the 'supposedly' vapour re-tarding spray insulation if that might do the trick. Really don't want to go to the hassle of putting vapour barrier boxes overtop of airtight boxes given the # of them....

Those kits are as close as you can get to the commercial spray foam and should work marvelously for you. You don't need to put supposedly in quotes, it forms a proper cocoon and hardens up nice as it's a two part. It's not the same stuff you get in spray cans.

Tip, have some acetone on hand cause it's messy and that is the only thing that gets it off your hands, face and anywhere else it accidently touches. It's like antiseize, you somehow just get it everywhere.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 07:46 AM   #5222
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

My garage floor slopes slightly inwards so during rain or melting snow I'll get some water puddles 1/4 of the way into the garage.

Has anyone used a threshold strip like this? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tsu...kit/1000735385

Seems like it should work, basically a small dam.

Or would it be better to have something like that professionally installed? Seems easy enough but maybe sticking things to concrete isn't that simple?
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 08:35 AM   #5223
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My garage floor slopes slightly inwards so during rain or melting snow I'll get some water puddles 1/4 of the way into the garage.

Has anyone used a threshold strip like this? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/tsu...kit/1000735385

Or would it be better to have something like that professionally installed? Seems easy enough but maybe sticking things to concrete isn't that simple?
For the cost I would try the install myself.

You won't damage the concrete.

Go for it !!!
Old 01-27-2023, 08:48 AM   #5224
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

Another thought is using these containment socks: https://greggdistributors.ca/Safety/...oms/rougsock38

You just lay them on the floor and they stop pretty much anything. You can get one or two seasons out of them. I use them in my garage.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 09:50 AM   #5225
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For that price, what about a battery powered wet vac?

Price not an issue, I'd make canals with grates on them to suck out with a wet vac regularly.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #5226
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:

Oh I have the same problem and was thinking of replacing the bottom seal on the door itself with these: https://www.amazon.ca/NATGAI-Weather...55&sr=8-6&th=1

That way I can still sweep out the garage without dealing with the added "lip".
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:17 AM   #5227
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
For that price, what about a battery powered wet vac?
It's not a huge amount of water, it's more that I just can't put anything on the floor in the area as it'll get wet.

Those containment socks are maybe a good idea, this summer the plan is to get rid of the rest of my dad's tools and stuff which is taking up a lot of that space currently, so I like the temporary idea.

Or that bottom seal Looch posted, though not sure if that would stop it entirely.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:20 AM   #5228
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the opposite problem in the winter. The middle of my garage floor heaves, then all the melted snow off the car runs back towards the main door, then heads to the corners of the garage.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #5229
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a huge amount of water, it's more that I just can't put anything on the floor in the area as it'll get wet.

Those containment socks are maybe a good idea, this summer the plan is to get rid of the rest of my dad's tools and stuff which is taking up a lot of that space currently, so I like the temporary idea.

Or that bottom seal Looch posted, though not sure if that would stop it entirely.
So, you mean certain areas of the garage floor where you would usually put stuff are damp/wet? What about using some type of garage tile to increase the height of those areas to keep it above the puddle?
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 02:14 PM   #5230
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Those kits are as close as you can get to the commercial spray foam and should work marvelously for you. You don't need to put supposedly in quotes, it forms a proper cocoon and hardens up nice as it's a two part. It's not the same stuff you get in spray cans.

Tip, have some acetone on hand cause it's messy and that is the only thing that gets it off your hands, face and anywhere else it accidently touches. It's like antiseize, you somehow just get it everywhere.
Cool - glad to hear IM not totally out to lunch, plan wise. I know the commercial stuff block vapours, but wasn't 100% sure on the stuff available to home-gamers, despite it also being a 2-part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I have the opposite problem in the winter. The middle of my garage floor heaves, then all the melted snow off the car runs back towards the main door, then heads to the corners of the garage.
I have nothing to add beyond highlighting how happy I am with my investment in a garage drain 5-6 years ago. Life changing stuff. All the melt and gravel is no longer a problem.

https://www.concreteinnovations.ca/r...nage-solutions
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #5231
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool - glad to hear IM not totally out to lunch, plan wise. I know the commercial stuff block vapours, but wasn't 100% sure on the stuff available to home-gamers, despite it also being a 2-part.

I have nothing to add beyond highlighting how happy I am with my investment in a garage drain 5-6 years ago. Life changing stuff. All the melt and gravel is no longer a problem.

####ing jealous of not having water drip on my head when the garage door is open and not having ice to slip on when it drips out of the garage.

Did you do your drains in a new build or did you add it to an existing garage? I'm thinking I should hire someone to install that my garage. I hate the giant pools and scraping of the ice under the door.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:00 PM   #5232
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
####ing jealous of not having water drip on my head when the garage door is open and not having ice to slip on when it drips out of the garage.

Did you do your drains in a new build or did you add it to an existing garage? I'm thinking I should hire someone to install that my garage. I hate the giant pools and scraping of the ice under the door.
Added it to an existing 30+ year old garage. They cut+chip out the front 2-3 feet of the garage, add in the trench drain and catch basin, and then repour the concrete so it all slopes into the drain.

I tossed a sump pump in the 50 gal basin and pump it down the drain every month or so depending on melt levels. The basin itself is not plumbed into the sewer at all.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:06 PM   #5233
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

We have a similar issue and that worked for us. However, we would also get pooling from the water/ice that comes off the vehicle wheel well so we placed some of that parallel to the car so it would stop that car ice/water for moving to the edges and soaking anything on the ground.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:39 PM   #5234
photon

Exp:

That garage drain looks sweet!
Old 01-30-2023, 08:59 AM   #5235
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a residential carpet company?

We need to recarpet our ~600 SF basement, and I got a quote from a company that was $4,875. That seems high to me so I wanted to get another quote.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:50 AM   #5236
photon

Exp:

Arlin from Deerfoot Carpet & Flooring helped me out for some flooring recently.. prices seemed reasonable and I was pretty happy with the service level.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #5237
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How much did that run you?

It would have to be a sump system, the city won’t let you hook anything into the sewer system.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:28 PM   #5238
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Arlin from Deerfoot Carpet & Flooring helped me out for some flooring recently.. prices seemed reasonable and I was pretty happy with the service level.
Just called them. Thanks for the recommendation!
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:35 PM   #5239
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

What's the best way to remove a long run of HDMI cables? Previous owner of the house had 2 20-foot cables run from the main floor office to above the living room fireplace, inside the exterior wall. They must be snagging on something because I can't simply yank them out. Is there a better option than just cutting them and sealing up the holes?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:50 PM   #5240
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What's the best way to remove a long run of HDMI cables? Previous owner of the house had 2 20-foot cables run from the main floor office to above the living room fireplace, inside the exterior wall. They must be snagging on something because I can't simply yank them out. Is there a better option than just cutting them and sealing up the holes?

Why not leave them if they are still functional? You can find wall plates so they look nicer.

Otherwise, it’s fine to leave it orphaned behind walls, afaik.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote