Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-31-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
Franchise Player
calculoso's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ontario
Default Deed of Gift - Stocks no longer on the market

I'm not sure if this is something that belongs here...

I was one of the unfortunate people who lost money in the Nortel business shut down, and I still have some worthless stocks on my account. How can I claim the capital loss on these stocks?

The stock brokerage was suggesting something called a Deed Of Gift, and searching online seems to suggest that I would have to amend my 2009 tax return
I never claimed a loss for my 800 Nortel shares definitely my worst investment! Is it too late?

No, its not too late. Nortel announced in 2009 that it would cease operations and sell off its assets, so you can retroactively amend your 2009 tax return to claim the loss, Mr. Quinlan said.

The capital loss would first be applied against any capital gains in 2009. If you have unused capital losses left over, you can carry them back three years or forward indefinitely to reduce capital gains in other years.
Does this sound right? Any gotchas to watch out for?
calculoso is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Franchise Player
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta

Sounds right to me, but basically this is more of an accountants question. I know capital losses can be carried back three years, but an accountant could tell you what the law is surrounding claiming that loss. Perhaps if Locke or another accountant reads this though, they can chime in and advise you.
Slava is offline  
Old 01-31-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Franchise Player
calculoso's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Ontario

Thank you! I'll send Locke a PM and see if he can comment or if I should find a local tax accountant for help.
calculoso is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
Franchise Player
Locke's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central

Okay, I've replied to your PM and I'll try and keep my reply brief.

Yes, for Nortel stock you can amend your 2009 tax return and accrue your Capital Loss, Revenue Canada will acknowledge that.

In order to do that you have to get the Deed of Gift from whomever your broker is. You're basically transferring responsibility for the stock to the broker and in turn washing your hands of it and as such booking the loss.

Then you can apply the loss to gains accrued in the interim.

The thing is, if you did these returns yourself the amendments can be difficult and potentially costly to prepare, so make sure that whatever tax savings you're going to get is really worth it.
The Beatings Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:21 AM.

Calgary Flames

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021