Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #1581
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
This seems big to me as well but the market is more or less flat on this news. I'm fairly new to crypto but it is strange to me that the market hasn't reacted positively to this news.
First of all, 'news' like this usually isn't actually news - the market was likely aware of it, or at least aware that it was likely, prior to the announcement, and therefore it would already have been priced in.

Also, crypto, and Bitcoin specifically, are global in scope - there could be a lot more going on elsewhere than just this, and the other things are overshadowing it.

Most importantly, prices are set by buyers and sellers, and cryptos have been under extreme selling pressure for some time now, and it is just likely the case that this good news is not enough to stem the overall negative cloud that is currently looming over the market.

By most rational accounts (other than the biggest Bitcoin-is-going-to-a-million! supporters), it is very overpriced and very ahead of itself. And that is causing the selloff. News out of South America, which likely isn't news, and isn't all that significant in the grand scheme of things, just isn't enough to stem the tide at the moment.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 07:55 PM   #1582
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.coindesk.com/price/bitcoin

Crypto's getting absolutely flogged the past month. Party over?
A month is minor. Most haven’t even dropped anywhere near this year’s lows yet.

There will never be an end to the party because there’s always a future gain to be made so money hangs around waiting for a bottom.

Bitcoin could still slide easily to $12,000 yet before a bottom if past history means anything, which it doesn’t really but those buying in will always be looking for a reason to justify where the bottom is.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:00 PM   #1583
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time someone posts a link the the Bitcoin price graph I think wow that price has really fluctuated huge this quarter/year. Then I quickly realize (again) that is the hourly/daily chart.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #1584
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.coindesk.com/price/bitcoin

Crypto's getting absolutely flogged the past month. Party over?
Do I need to quote your earlier posts in this thread? peak bubble and such...because its still more than double your "peak bubble"

Last edited by dino7c; 06-09-2021 at 10:47 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:10 AM   #1585
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Ethereum's EIP 1559 transition in July and the subsequent dilution of mining into other GPU coins will trigger something. I don't see the other alts quickly coalescing behind a specific coin (except maybe ERGO because lots of bad actors seem to be pushing that one and the Reddit crypto crowd is easily led).

Bull run has to end sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #1586
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is there anything I can mine with my new Asus Zephyrus G15 Ryzen 9 RTX 3060 or would it not even be worth it on a laptop?
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #1587
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Is there anything I can mine with my new Asus Zephyrus G15 Ryzen 9 RTX 3060 or would it not even be worth it on a laptop?
If it's not been hash rate limited by Nvidia, you should be able to get 40-45 mhash/s at about 100W power use, roughly $3-$4 in earnings.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM   #1588
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you mine on a laptop, dear god make sure you a) remove the backplate and b) put it on a well vented, or ideally fan-embedded stand.

Laptop burnout from ETH mining is extremely common and you *will* need to take extra steps for cooling to ensure the VRAM doesn't get melted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #1589
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the info guys. I probably won't bother mining on my laptop then. Much appreciated.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 06:11 PM   #1590
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #1591
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. Sounds like that study was absolute trash. Oh, yes, we'll just increase global power consumption by 6x, it will all be green energy, and the excess gets used for Bitcoin mining(or sold back to the grid, depending on the section of the paper). Now to just figure out how to convert all energy production to green energy, and increase it 6 fold. Easy problems like this are good problems to have!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 12:15 PM   #1592
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crypto is already green...its uses less than half the energy of the traditional banking or gold industries. It can be far greener though.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #1593
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Crypto is already green...its uses less than half the energy of the traditional banking or gold industries. It can be far greener though.
What are the caveats on that statement and the unit of measurements?

Kw/US$ created, KW/$ exchanged, kW/transaction.

Your statement can’t be universally true across all transactions and all coins
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #1594
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a ridiculous claim. I know it's repeated often, but if you don't want to look like you don't know what you are talking about it, you should stop repeating it.

Every transaction takes as much energy as an average house consumes in a month. You think the billions of credit card and debit transactions taking place every day use that much power? You can't compare the entire banking sector to Bitcoin because banks do far more than process transactions. You are comparing one small part to an entire economic sector. It doesn't make sense.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...mparison-visa/

Note that is 100 000 Visa transactions on that scale.

According to this, the US processes over 100 million transactions per day:
https://www.cardrates.com/advice/num...-per-day-year/

If those were done with Bitcoin, that would be 120 000 GWh. The US currently consumes 11 GWh/day. So ya, only more than 10 times the US total power consumption if all transactions were handled in BTC.

TLDR; Dino7c's claim is entirely false.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #1595
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Specifically Bitcoin...go to you local branch

AC is cranked, 50 lights on, 20+ computers on, ect...3 people inside

And gold mining isn't a guy in a river with a pan
Old 06-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #1596
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a ridiculous claim. I know it's repeated often, but if you don't want to look like you don't know what you are talking about it, you should stop repeating it.

Every transaction takes as much energy as an average house consumes in a month. You think the billions of credit card and debit transactions taking place every day use that much power? You can't compare the entire banking sector to Bitcoin because banks do far more than process transactions. You are comparing one small part to an entire economic sector. It doesn't make sense.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...mparison-visa/

Note that is 100 000 Visa transactions on that scale.

According to this, the US processes over 100 million transactions per day:
https://www.cardrates.com/advice/num...-per-day-year/

If those were done with Bitcoin, that would be 120 000 GWh. The US currently consumes 11 GWh/day. So ya, only more than 10 times the US total power consumption if all transactions were handled in BTC.

TLDR; Dino7c's claim is entirely false.
Just credit card transactions and nothing else lol

look I said it can be greener and will be greener....and gold mining, its not a guy in a river with a pan

The traditional banking system and gold mining industry use more energy than Bitcoin...the statement is a fact

Last edited by dino7c; 06-18-2021 at 12:45 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 12:44 PM   #1597
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does gold mining have to do with transactions? You know gold has other uses, right?
Beyond that, how can Bitcoin replace traditional transactions when it would require 10x the power consumption of the US to do it?
Old 06-18-2021, 12:56 PM   #1598
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What does gold mining have to do with transactions? You know gold has other uses, right?
Beyond that, how can Bitcoin replace traditional transactions when it would require 10x the power consumption of the US to do it?
I have said multiple times it needs to become greener and more efficient. I just think its hypocritical to knock crypto for energy consumption when our current model after 100s of years is worse.

Seems people butt hurt about being wrong about crypto are suddenly tree huggers but only towards crypto.

"It uses as much power as Argentina!"

yeah so do microwaves but I don't remember any crying about hot pockets
Old 06-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #1599
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have said multiple times it needs to become greener and more efficient. I just think its hypocritical to knock crypto for energy consumption when our current model after 100s of years is worse.

Seems people butt hurt about being wrong about crypto are suddenly tree huggers but only towards crypto.

"It uses as much power as Argentina!"

yeah so do microwaves but I don't remember any crying about hot pockets
It's not worse! Did you read any of the stuff I posted? Bitcoin is for transactions. If you compare transactions, it's far worse. It's impossible to replace traditional transactions with Bitcoin, as I have demonstrated. If you want to compare it to a store on value, compare it to cash under you mattress. You can't just compare it to the banking sector, because it's a meaningless comparison, because you can't use Bitcoin to manage your mortgage, or loan you money. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge reality?
Old 06-18-2021, 02:07 PM   #1600
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not worse! Did you read any of the stuff I posted? Bitcoin is for transactions. If you compare transactions, it's far worse. It's impossible to replace traditional transactions with Bitcoin, as I have demonstrated. If you want to compare it to a store on value, compare it to cash under you mattress. You can't just compare it to the banking sector, because it's a meaningless comparison, because you can't use Bitcoin to manage your mortgage, or loan you money. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge reality?
People store gold, consider what it takes to get gold out of the ground then it is placed in a vault, buried in a yard, or made into a toilet

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum