Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2021, 08:27 PM   #361
Mickey76
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
You can fly into canada with record of recovery from Covid. I use my positive test from August 20th. I believe its accepted between 14-90 days.
Thanks
What I am trying to figure out is possibly attending the F1 race in Austin. If I fly down next week and am negative and then test positive for the flight home what are the rules for returning to Canada? Are there scenarios where it could be less then 14 days? Or would I be stuck in a Austin hotel room for 14 days?
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:20 PM   #362
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey76 View Post
Thanks
What I am trying to figure out is possibly attending the F1 race in Austin. If I fly down next week and am negative and then test positive for the flight home what are the rules for returning to Canada? Are there scenarios where it could be less then 14 days? Or would I be stuck in a Austin hotel room for 14 days?
Pretty sure you're stuck. One of the reasons I'm not considering any international trips for awhile yet.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #363
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I canít find any info on what happens if you fly to the US and when you get your test to return home you test positive? Is it an automatic 2 weeks in the US or is it until you test Negative regardless of how long that takes?
It's both/neither.
If you test positive you wait until you test negative. So a second test later that day at walgreens across the street that is negative and you are good. If you actually got covid you would have to wait for it to run its course, obviously.
This is what the CDC says

Quote:
What happens if I test positive?
People should self-isolate and delay their travel if symptoms develop or a pre-departure test result is positive until they have recovered from COVID-19. Airlines must refuse to board anyone who does not present a negative test result for COVID-19 or documentation of recovery.
F1 is sold out. Would be amazing.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:54 AM   #364
RCGP
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
You can fly into canada with record of recovery from Covid. I use my positive test from August 20th. I believe its accepted between 14-90 days.
How do you use your positive test? A screen shot from myhealth or do you have to print it out?

I tested positive in mid September and am travelling to the US in late November.
RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #365
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be stretching here, but the negative test requirement for air travel might be dropped for traveling to US.

Quote:
This new travel system will create consistent, stringent protocols for all foreign nationals traveling to the United States Ė whether by air, land, or ferry Ė and accounts for the wide availability of COVID-19 vaccinations.
Statement from DHS yesterday. There is some expectation of further details today.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/12/...-enter-us-land
Old 10-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #366
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
How do you use your positive test? A screen shot from myhealth or do you have to print it out?

I tested positive in mid September and am travelling to the US in late November.
Screenshot is good. Or open the MyHealth app at the airport to show.
JBR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #367
Mickey76
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
It's both/neither.
If you test positive you wait until you test negative. So a second test later that day at walgreens across the street that is negative and you are good. If you actually got covid you would have to wait for it to run its course, obviously.
This is what the CDC says

F1 is sold out. Would be amazing.
Yes a friend had a ticket I could have. What is frustrating is with the vaccine I really donít doubt I could test positive being asymptomatic. I canít take a chance being stuck in the States that long. Practically guaranteeing it will be the greatest F1 race ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #368
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes a friend had a ticket I could have. What is frustrating is with the vaccine I really donít doubt I could test positive being asymptomatic. I canít take a chance being stuck in the States that long. Practically guaranteeing it will be the greatest F1 race ever.
How long would you go for? IIRC a test taken 72 hours is still good even if it was before you left. So you could get an antigen 3 days out, make sure you're negative, and use that to enter the USA. Then lay low for a few days before the trip, and take a PCR right before leaving. You'll get the negative result on your trip, and can use it to return. Obviously only works for a short trip.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #369
Mickey76
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It’s just a little too tight. I definitely wanted to be at track Sat-Sun. I don’t think I. could get the test early enough to make a Friday Morning flight to Austin and then early enough Monday morning departing flight. I have already passed and I think someone else is using the ticket now. Thanks for your suggestion and help though.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #370
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just in Europe and had to test before returning, I had some anxiety about testing positive because I was stuffed up from the flight over and people were everywhere, even with similar protocols in place for masking you just couldn't avoid people.

Tested negative and flew home. From everything I read if I tested positive I had to isolate for at least 10 days. I have no idea where I would have done that as hotels might not have been accomodating. I needed 2 vax just to stay at the hotel but if I told them I was isolating I don't know if I would have been able to stay. Since it was a work trip I wasn't worried about cost but if I have to go again I'll have a backup plan arranged.

You could probably drive back to Canada, but the trip would violate public health orders to isolate.

Honestly with the current requirements I don't think a trip is a good idea. Too much risk. I just cancelled a Vegas trip in Nov cause I don't want the risk of being stuck for two weeks.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #371
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I can think of worse fates than being stuck in Vegas for 2 weeks.

Looking into getting things in order my my trip home to AB!

Some general FYI stuff
- You can book covid tests 5 days out at Walgreens.
- Rapid ID Now by Abbott Labs, a NAAT test accepted for entry into Canada, is the clear choice of the 3 types Walgreens offers. Antigen test is no good for entry and PCR tests take longer. Results of ID Now should come in less than an hour.
- Testing must be within 72 hours prior to entry into Canada. So for my Saturday (23rd) flight I have to wait until after flight time on Wednesday (20th) at minimum.
- ArriveCan app will only let me enter details 72 hours in advance.

**Edit to correct for Canada 72 hour testing requirements.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 10-14-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #372
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some general FYI stuff

- Rapid ID Now by Abbott Labs, a NAAT test accepted for entry into Canada, is the clear choice of the 3 types Walgreens offers. Antigen test is no good for entry and PCR tests take longer. Results of ID Now should come in less than an hour.

- Testing must be within 3 days prior to entry into Canada. So for my Saturday (23rd) flight i can be tested any time on Wednesday (20th) or after.

Do you book in person? Cause on their app it requires an USA address to book.

Sent from my SM-A105M using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #373
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Some general FYI stuff
- Testing must be within 3 days prior to entry into Canada. So for my Saturday (23rd) flight i can be tested any time on Wednesday (20th) or after.
unless there has been a recent change, there is actually a subtle difference worth nothing here

for the trip from Canada to the US what you say is true- any time within 3 days (of course for Canada to the US antigen test also fine)

however for US to Canada , you are correct NAAT is acceptable and usually the best option, here however the test must by within 72 hours (I know people that have been burned by this) so if your last departure time from the US to Canada is 730 pm (for example) on Saturday your test has to be after 730 pm on Wednesday, not any time on Wednesday
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #374
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post

I live in America.
This is good info though. Not sure how Canadians can book return tests then. Maybe only as drop by?
Old 10-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #375
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
unless there has been a recent change, there is actually a subtle difference worth nothing here

for the trip from Canada to the US what you say is true- any time within 3 days (of course for Canada to the US antigen test also fine)

however for US to Canada , you are correct NAAT is acceptable and usually the best option, here however the test must by within 72 hours (I know people that have been burned by this) so if your last departure time from the US to Canada is 730 pm (for example) on Saturday your test has to be after 730 pm on Wednesday, not any time on Wednesday
Oof. Appreciate that info!
They have to somehow standardize all of this. I s confusing.
Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:18 PM   #376
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oof. Appreciate that info!
They have to somehow standardize all of this. I s confusing.
Thanks again.
yes it is very confusing- our family has done a few trips now so I feel comfortable with it all (nuisance that it might be ) but too much of this gets found out the hard way

as you are coming from Chicago, I assume your flight is going to be direct from Chicago to Canada, if not that is one where people get tripped up

hypothetical example: Itinerary Chicago 2pm to Denver. Denver 7pm to Calgary

I know some people that get their test within the 72 hour window - ie 3pm - thinking that its the Chicago flight that matters, but no its the Denver flight- so too soon- test expired. womp womp
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #377
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would hope if someone tested positive in Vegas they wouldn't be out having fun and infecting other people. I plan on going to Vegas in December and I plan on bringing my work laptop in case I do test positive and stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 06:01 PM   #378
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I would hope if someone tested positive in Vegas they wouldn't be out having fun and infecting other people. I plan on going to Vegas in December and I plan on bringing my work laptop in case I do test positive and stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks.
That right there is why I'm not doing any travelling yet. The risk of being stuck in a hotel somewhere for two weeks is just not worth it to me.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2021, 06:57 PM   #379
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
yes it is very confusing- our family has done a few trips now so I feel comfortable with it all (nuisance that it might be ) but too much of this gets found out the hard way

as you are coming from Chicago, I assume your flight is going to be direct from Chicago to Canada, if not that is one where people get tripped up

hypothetical example: Itinerary Chicago 2pm to Denver. Denver 7pm to Calgary

I know some people that get their test within the 72 hour window - ie 3pm - thinking that its the Chicago flight that matters, but no its the Denver flight- so too soon- test expired. womp womp
Wow.
Yeah the US has the better plan, any time within 3 days instead of 72 hours. But yeah, Chicago - > Toronto - > Calgary .
Please bring back the AC direct flight to Chicago.

And thanks again. Such good info here, as always, taking the guess work/ stress out of these things.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #380
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post

I went through the process at both Rite-Aid and Walgreens earlier this week in Boise. You can go onto each companies website and schedule a test. I used a friendís American address both times. Both testing sites were drive thru pharmacies and I was not asked for any ID other than my name and birth date. The rite aid test results did not get back to me in time for my flight but the back up Walgreens test (id now) result was available an hour after the test. There isnít a cost for the tests at the pharmacies. My final option was a test at the Denver airport which would have cost $250.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post: