Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2020, 09:28 PM   #81
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Just because of their ages, I think you have to expose Gio and Backlund.

There can be an argument for protecting Backlund over Bennett, especially depending on the status of contract negotiations with Bennett as the season progresses. I think this is either the year that Bennett breaks out and moves into the core group of the team and signs a long-term deal, or it will be his last season with the Flames. I don't think there will be a middle ground on that.

As of right now, I think you protect Tanev over Kylington, but that could change depending on what happens over the course of the season.
I think that if Backlund is exposed he will be picked by Seattle. There is a good chance that he will be one of the top forwards in the entire NHL that is left available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #82
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Gio will be protected if he is good enough to be protected, there will be no sentiments.
I bet the ownership group would have something to say about that. Not saying he'd be protected over a solid young defenceman, but if the top 3 is Andersson, Hanifin and Kylington, I wouldn't be surprised to see them give Seattle a mid round pick to not take Giordano. Giordano will retire in Calgary. The organization loves him.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #83
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think that if Backlund is exposed he will be picked by Seattle. There is a good chance that he will be one of the top forwards in the entire NHL that is left available.
Yeah, if he's unprotected, I could see him getting picked for veteran leadership.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #84
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Seattle MIGHT pick Gio as a first captain, leader and top 4 defenseman. His name might be big enough to sell a few extra tickets too. Oh and he could net an early draft pick if moved at the deadline to a contender. I think they'll pick the most valuable players overall and trade excess vets for futures.
sell tickets? in their first year they will be sold out every game (assuming fans are allowed)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #85
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Agree.
There is a chance that Backlund is exposed, but it would require massive seasons by Bennett and Mangiapane.

There are people who have been waiting for an excuse to get rid of Backlund ever since he signed his current contract. I don't get it. I think he's value at that deal right now. Very underrated around here.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #86
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
Rittich is ufa.
Not sure what crazy pills I was taking...I did think he was RFA despite his age
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #87
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be absolutely shocked if either Giordano or Backlund are left exposed.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 10:58 PM   #88
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to remember that Tre has a a lot of options, if he doesn’t want one of his exposed players chosen he has the opportunity send Francis additional asset to pick someone else.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #89
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I bet the ownership group would have something to say about that. Not saying he'd be protected over a solid young defenceman, but if the top 3 is Andersson, Hanifin and Kylington, I wouldn't be surprised to see them give Seattle a mid round pick to not take Giordano. Giordano will retire in Calgary. The organization loves him.

If Seattle felt that Gio was the best pick, a mid round pick won’t change their minds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:25 AM   #90
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is funny how the expansion draft changes a lot of peoples mind set from 'what have you done for me lately', which is the norm for a lot of sports fans, to 'he has been here a long time, we cannot expose him', regardless of said players age and the teams long term view. Fans suddenly get very hung up on a player being exposed.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:55 AM   #91
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Backlund, it isn't about running him out of town, it is simply the fact that he will be 32 and making $5.35M.

If you lose him, you use the cap savings to replace him.

And Connor Zary will hopefully be progressing towards trying to take his spot.

But Backlund's future depends on Bennett - if Bennett doesn't take a step forward this year, then he's the candidate.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #92
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I will be absolutely shocked if either Giordano or Backlund are left exposed.
At this stage it would seem a little surprising but no longer shocking for me.

In order for Backlund to be bumped I think Bennett needs to take a significant step to show he has potential to be a second line C down the road. If he has another poor year during the regular season I think he finds himself exposed and Backlund is protected.

Only thing holding Gio back from being protected is a huge step forward for Kylington or a huge resurgence from Tanev where he miraculously dials it back to 4-5 years ago. Both are unlikely in my opinion.

Freeing up the cap of either player for flexibility would be helpful but Gio’s contract relief currently comes in a more crucial offseason where Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Mangipane all need extensions.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:15 AM   #93
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
For Backlund, it isn't about running him out of town, it is simply the fact that he will be 32 and making $5.35M.

If you lose him, you use the cap savings to replace him.

And Connor Zary will hopefully be progressing towards trying to take his spot.

But Backlund's future depends on Bennett - if Bennett doesn't take a step forward this year, then he's the candidate.
As I said before I think Backlund's contract is value for what he provides. He drives possession against the oppositions best players and we all know how much he elevates the play of his linemates.
How are we replacing him for the same money, unless it is a Rookie on an ELC?
Zary? I live in Kamloops and have watched him a lot. He is a good player, fun to watch, exciting. I am looking forward to seeing him play and hope he has a long career as a Flame. But proposing 19-year-old Zary as a Backlund replacement is not logical.
Another thing about Backlund is that he is possibly the best Flame at skating the puck through the neutral zone.
Very underrated player.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #94
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
As I said before I think Backlund's contract is value for what he provides. He drives possession against the oppositions best players and we all know how much he elevates the play of his linemates.
How are we replacing him for the same money, unless it is a Rookie on an ELC?
Zary? I live in Kamloops and have watched him a lot. He is a good player, fun to watch, exciting. I am looking forward to seeing him play and hope he has a long career as a Flame. But proposing 19-year-old Zary as a Backlund replacement is not logical.
Another thing about Backlund is that he is possibly the best Flame at skating the puck through the neutral zone.
Very underrated player.
I love Backlund. Don’t get me wrong. I agree with all the things you said about him. To me, here is how I break down the forwards though:

Absolutely, 100% protected if they are with the team: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk and Lindholm.

Young players that have shown enough to be top 6 level players going forward: Mangiapane and Dube.

I would definitely not allow the 6 players above to be selected by Seattle.

So, to me, it really comes down to Bennett or Backlund. If Bennett gets to play centre, and he has a good season at centre, then I would expose Backlund to keep the much younger and cheaper Bennett. The fact that I have Bennett on my list is an indication that I’m betting on Bennett.

As for replacing Backlund, I have a few points. First, Backlund has already began to regress. Who knows what he is like after next season? Second, if Backlund gets selected, the Flames would have over $5M in cap space to work with. That doesn’t guarantee a Backlund replacement. But $5M could allow the Flames to augment the team in other ways. Third, if Backlund were selected, the Flames centres would include (as I would order them on the depth chart): Lindholm, Monahan, Bennett...In this centre-ice depth chart, Lindholm is Backlund’s replacement. Based on the two months we saw this past season, I think Lindholm could do it.

In conclusion, my strategy would be to protect the future of the team. For me, that means definitely protecting Lindholm, Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane and Dube. Depending on how Bennett plays this coming season, I would protect Bennett also. If this means Backlund is taken, I’d replace him with Lindholm and augment the roster in other ways with the $5M.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #95
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Bennett vs Backlund makes sense. However, Backlund was on fire last season when they moved him back to centre between 19 and 88. Lets give them a full season and see how they do. Similarly, Playoff Sam Bennett is a wrecking ball and if he puts in a productive season this year as 3C he'll surely be sought after. The only question: his contract will be up, so at what cost are you able to re-sign him?

Similar situation with Gio vs Kylington on the blue line, although Gio is already showing signs of regression and Kylington is still unproven.

At the end of the day I could see Calgary exposing both Backlund and Gio, but out of loyalty perhaps offering up a sweetener (maybe a third round pick?) for Seattle not to select either one? Losing one would free up a lot of cap space though so it's not a total loss...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #96
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ Backlund started last season with 88 and 19. That line was pretty much set all year
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #97
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apologies if this was already answered, but how does Tanev's modified NTC work in regards to the expansion draft? I was always under the impression he has to be protected by default, so if the Flames go the 5F, 3D route, it'd be Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, leaving Gio exposed.

Even if we didn't have to protect Tanev, I'd still for sure expose Gio and take my chances. It doesn't make any organizational sense to protect a 38 year old dman with 1 year left on a $6.75M cap hit.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #98
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
^ Backlund started last season with 88 and 19. That line was pretty much set all year
Not to my recollection.

The old 3M line to start the year, then the Backlund as a winger experiment that had Lindholm centering the duo.

All told the three of them had 351 five on five minutes together out of Backlund's 984.

Basically 1/3 of the season.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #99
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev doesn’t have to be protected.

Not sure why you would protect Tanev (of Kylington)over Gio? I wouldn’t mind being able to get out of that Tanev contract 3 years early
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #100
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Apologies if this was already answered, but how does Tanev's modified NTC work in regards to the expansion draft? I was always under the impression he has to be protected by default, so if the Flames go the 5F, 3D route, it'd be Andersson, Hanifin, Tanev, leaving Gio exposed.

Even if we didn't have to protect Tanev, I'd still for sure expose Gio and take my chances. It doesn't make any organizational sense to protect a 38 year old dman with 1 year left on a $6.75M cap hit.
It doesn't. Players with NMCs must be protected; these are different than NTCs, which do not prevent a player from being exposed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote