Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #61
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to see Bennett center a line to start the season. Give him some decent line mates and see how that works out. I am very interested in putting Lindholm on his wing. I value Lindholm extremely high on this team, moving him to a line with Bennett should give us a fairly balanced Top 9.

In order to make that work, we would need to have someone playing with JG and SM who fills the role Lindholm filled. Good 200 foot game and skilled.

Certainly lots of options for line combinations.

Tkachuk / Backlund / Mang
Lucic / Bennett / Lindholm
Gaudreau / Monahan / Dube

Lines are not in any particular order.
Like Backlund line, so wanted to keep them together.
Not sure if Dube is the greatest fit on Monahan line, but like the balance, and like the makeup of the other two lines.

Edit: maybe could switch Mang with Dube.

Last edited by Doctorfever; 10-25-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #62
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
First, I don't think it is a good idea to move Lindholm to C.

Second, I think the hockey IQ argument is overdone sometimes. Of course, Johnny needs to play with someone else who thinks the game at a high level. But I don't think the 3rd guy on the line necessarily has to be that as well. Lots of great lines have two intelligent players and one guy that is doing the grunt work along the boards and in front of the net. Bennett can do that.
You may think the IQ thing is "overdone", but Treliving has stated and has clearly shown it is among the most important qualities he values in players. I agree with him. Particularly among top line guys and top pair defensemen.

But Bennett cant be the C....way to many important decisions that guy has to make, particularly in the D zone. Bennett is most certainly not that guy or at least has never shown to be. Coaches just dont trust him defensively which is why he hasnt played there much. Adding him to JG who isnt the most defensively responsible guy either, is a recipe for disaster.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #63
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Lindholm?
Quote:
you forgot Lindholm - he is kind of important
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
You forgot Lindholm.
Traded for picks he did his job recruiting Markstrom and Nordstrom, but after that mediocre playoff run, he needs to hit the bricks.

Seriously though, you can pretty much slot in your leading goal scorer from last year on the right wing on any of those lines. The Monahan line might make the most sense.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the more you tinker with the lines, the more likely you’ll have to tweak the PP as well (since you’d have to hit the blender every time afterwards).

Last edited by tvp2003; 10-25-2020 at 01:42 PM.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #64
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that you were able to assemble 4 lines, without even noticing that you forgot him, is a testament to the depth they now have.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #65
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that you were able to assemble 4 lines, without even noticing that you forgot him, is a testament to the depth they now have.

Enoch Root, it is obvious he has alzheimer's, but good point about the depth!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #66
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You may think the IQ thing is "overdone", but Treliving has stated and has clearly shown it is among the most important qualities he values in players. I agree with him. Particularly among top line guys and top pair defensemen.
IQ isn't overdone.

But your evaluation of Bennett's IQ is.

He might not be Tkachuk or Gaudreau, but he has plenty of hockey sense.

Does he take some bad penalties? Sure he does, a lot of the more aggressive players of that ilk tend to, whether it's Jamie Benn or Ryan Getzlaf. It's not a hockey sense issue. It's a hothead issue.

His IQ, whether offensive or defensive, is more than sufficient for playing with Gaudreau et al. He doesn't need to be Wayne Gretzky.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #67
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

But Bennett cant be the C....way to many important decisions that guy has to make, particularly in the D zone. Bennett is most certainly not that guy or at least has never shown to be. Coaches just dont trust him defensively which is why he hasnt played there much. Adding him to JG who isnt the most defensively responsible guy either, is a recipe for disaster.
Except Gaudreau has spent the last few years playing with Monahan, who isn't going to be mistaken for a Selke candidate.

Bennett is better defensively than Monahan.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #68
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The legend of Sam Bennett continues to grow.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #69
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post

Bennett is better defensively than Monahan.
I'm very hopeful for Bennett but there is virtually zero evidence of this.
Also, don't underestimate how much JG makes Mony's defense look worse...losing every board battle causes them to be hemmed in more than they should be.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #70
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I’d like to see Monahan’s numbers if his past line mates were Neal, Brouwer, Jankowski, Lazar, etc. I can’t imagine they would be any better than Bennett’s.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 03:30 PM   #71
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I’d like to see Monahan’s numbers if his past line mates were Neal, Brouwer, Jankowski, Lazar, etc. I can’t imagine they would be any better than Bennett’s.
One of the most direct comparisions we can make, was 2016-17 when both guys spent a decent chunk of the season with the same winger complements. This was however Bennett's first year playing centre in the NHL, and Monahan's fourth:

Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
206:01 TOI
45.29% CF
39.93% xGF
58.00% GF

Versteeg - Monahan - Brouwer
135:48 TOI
43.59% CF
34.07% xGF
58.82% GF

Not much of a difference there. Surprisingly, both lines got hemmed in a lot yet miraculously outscored their opposition. Weird. I think that trend actually continued the next year with Stajan centering those two.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Chiasson
134:16 TOI
47.66% CF
49.14% GF
63.21% xGF

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chiasson
233:45 TOI
54.48% CF
53.09% GF
51.51% xGF

A bit of difference here. Monahan had a better shot attempt differential but Bennett had a better expected goal differential. From my recollection, Chiasson was the real issue on both lines, and probably should not have been playing with Gaudreau regardless of who the centre was.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-25-2020 at 03:39 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:58 AM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would go:

Tkachuk-Monahan-Lindholm: Tkachuk and Lindholm are good on the boards and good at getting the puck to the slot. Lindholm is needed because Tkachuk and Monahan are limited as two-way guys.

Gaudreau-Backlund-Mangiapane: Gaudreau needs the comfort of a solid two-way guy and that's Backlund. Mangiapane is decent two way (I'd consider Dube here as well, or maybe Leivo).

Leivo-Bennett-Dube: Good speed on the wings, good boards all around, Bennett and Dube have a nose for the net front and Leivo has a good shot. A weird wrong handed combo on the wings but maybe that will mess up the defenders.

Lucic-Ryan-Simon: Decent 4th line IMO. Nordstrom is the extra
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #73
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

So many tanatalizing line combos offered by posters in this thread. I hope Ward actually tries some of these for an extended period of time.
shadowlord is online now   Reply With Quote