Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Jake Boltman 0 0%
Daniil Chechelev 1 0.48%
Mathias Emilio Pettersen 87 41.43%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Ryan Francis 0 0%
Glenn Gawdin 23 10.95%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Rory Kerins 0 0%
Johannes Kinnvall 5 2.38%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 0 0%
Yan Kuznetsov 2 0.95%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Illya Nikolayev 0 0%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 2 0.95%
Matthew Phillips 58 27.62%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Jeremie Poirier 11 5.24%
Colton Poolman 1 0.48%
Martin Pospisil 0 0%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 3 1.43%
Illay Solovyov 0 0%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Alexander Yelesin 3 1.43%
Artyom Zagidulin 1 0.48%
Dmitri Zavagorodny 13 6.19%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2020 - Round 6

It's time for the 8th annual Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking, but at a different time of year and certainly at a different time.

First a look back at previous years can be done with this handy link: Previous Results

Once again vote how you want. There are those that vote 100% on potential, some that vote 100% on the likelihood to see an NHL rink, others that apply a mix, some using the value in a trade. Completely up to you.

I'll run one a day until we are done, and then FlamesAddiction wants to do a one off list version to compare the results.

We start with 35 names so this should get us pretty close to a Flames camp.

2020 Results
1. Valimaki - 85%
2. Zary - 62%
3. Pelletier - 74%
4. Wolf (Run Off)
5. Mackey (Run Off)
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

still voting Phillips

- people look at his size and assume he's soft, but IMO he's a tough competitive waterbug with a respectable two-way game
- I like his skill level. His shot in particular is dangerous and he gets open for it really well to get a quick release. One of those players I feel would benefit from playing with better players in the NHL.
- He shoots right. I think that will allow him to find a niche on a powerplay unit, unlike a lot of other options here, even the bigger names like Pellettier and Zary

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
still voting Phillips

- people look at his size and assume he's soft, but IMO he's a tough competitive waterbug with a respectable two-way game
- I like his skill level. His shot in particular is dangerous and he gets open for it really well to get a quick release. One of those players I feel would benefit from playing with better players in the NHL.
- He shoots right. I think that will allow him to find a niche on a powerplay unit, unlike a lot of other options here, even the bigger names like Pellettier and Zary
I put a lot of stock into AHL success and I have been voting Phillips since 4. The onus the last couple of years seems to be bulldog attitudes, skill, then IQ. I think they are going with a rather reign in a stallion than push a mule.

Mangiapane seems to be our first and best example of that philosophy, and I think over the years you will see lots of Mangiapane’s come through the system.

Last edited by Fan69; 10-24-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glenn Gawdin gets my vote. He has proved himself at the AHL level for 2 seasons now. He is ready for a shot on the main roster and I really think he can become a very effective middle six player.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Emilio!!!!!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pettersen IMO is the most overrated Flames prospect. He was 42nd in Division 1 scoring last year based on PPG. He was a sophomore which is in his favor but there are plenty of sophomores and a few freshman on that list. His game is entirely dependent on scoring as he is a no show in his own zone so I am rather skeptical he ever gets a sniff of the bigs. Pretty good 6th round pick and what do I know, he could easily carve out an Austin Czarnik career. The fact that Flames already signed him shows he has progressed.

Voted for Kuznetsov here. 2nd rounder in a very deep draft.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went Kinnvall here. I have followed this guy quite a bit and I think he has top 4 potential. Was tight between him and a few others though.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Pettersen IMO is the most overrated Flames prospect. He was 42nd in Division 1 scoring last year based on PPG. He was a sophomore which is in his favor but there are plenty of sophomores and a few freshman on that list. His game is entirely dependent on scoring as he is a no show in his own zone so I am rather skeptical he ever gets a sniff of the bigs. Pretty good 6th round pick and what do I know, he could easily carve out an Austin Czarnik career. The fact that Flames already signed him shows he has progressed.

Lol Pettersen is NOT an overrated prospect, in fact he is an underrated prospect and would not surprise me at all if he is the best NHLer of this prospect group not named Valimaki! Emilio will be seeing NHL games before you know it. Amazing prospect! What a draft pick!
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1

Last edited by Gaudreau is a Ninja; 10-24-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #9
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

PPG and led his team in scoring as a 19 year old (didn’t turn 20 until after the season) is very impressive for NCAA.

And if you look at U-20 scoring he was 5th, much more impressive than the 42nd you listed.

Only guys in front of him were:

Jack Drury - 2nd Rounder
Alex Newhook - 1st Rounder
Trevor Zegras - 1st Rounder
Cole Caufield - 1st rounder

So a second rounder with a huge year, and three top 16 picks in the draft are the only guys that were better than Pettersson as an U-20 forward in the NCAA last season.

Usually you’d like to see around 1.25 PPG in that season for a true top end elite prospect, but he’s still in the right range for players his age for sure.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-24-2020 at 10:11 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #10
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Dmitry Zavgorodniy is #5 on my list.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Lol Pettersen is NOT an overrated prospect, in fact he is an underrated prospect and would not surprise me at all if he is the best NHLer of this prospect group not named Valimaki! Emilio will be seeing NHL games before you know it. Amazing prospect! What a draft pick!
Hope I’m wrong but I have seen him play a couple of full games and not much about his compete level impressed me. I believe those players ahead of him in scoring are ahead of him in other ways as well including size and strength. I don’t see an NHLer personally much less our best prospect outside of Valimaki so I stand by the Austin Czarnik upside comment. But LOL away if you must.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Voting Gawdin again
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #13
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Voted Yelesin I think there is 3-4 choices at this stage but feel he his close and could challenge for the right side D spot.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #14
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Honest question but have you seen him play? For most of these players we are basing it off of scouting reports and maybe youtube highlights.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going with Pettersen here. Smart player who makes those around him better, with great hands.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this stage there is a real collection of under-sized skilled wingers: Pettersen, Philips, Zag, and that's largely where the votes are going. Hard for me to really rank any of them - particularly since they are all in different leagues and at different stages of development.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #17
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know who gets my pick, but there is little doubt that this is the strongest prospect group the flames have had in a very long time. Kudos to the scouting team and BT for getting it done.
Major Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:20 AM   #18
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zavgorodniy for me.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 11:25 AM   #19
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Petterson gets my vote here. Next round will be interesting. It’ll either be Gawdin, Phillips or Zavgorodniy.
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whole bunch of P's at this point: Pettersen, Phillips, Poirier, Parsons

Went with Poirier because he has a very high ceiling

What I have seen of Pettersen (not much), he didn't wow me. I like the way Phillips plays and I think he is going to play in the NHL, but he only has bottom 6 potential. I still think Parsons is an A-level goalie prospect (but who knows how to compare goalies to skaters).

So for me, most interested and excited in Poirier, of the names still on the board.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: