Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #3041
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not about who's more valuable at this point. Consensus is Gaudreau is leaving in two years, you have to trade him and not let him go for nothing.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:24 AM   #3042
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
It's not about who's more valuable at this point. Consensus is Gaudreau is leaving in two years, you have to trade him and not let him go for nothing.
You’re also not going to just trade him for that reason alone, at least not yet.

Tre isn’t going to lure Markstrom over here to solidify the net position and follow it up by making the team worse by offloading Gaudreau for a poor return.

If we can trade him and make the team better do it, otherwise why would he feel rushed to do it now?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:39 AM   #3043
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think there's any sense to rush but the clock is ticking. It's Tre's job to find the best possible return which most likely means trading Gaudreau within a year.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:45 AM   #3044
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

#MonahanOut
Old 10-15-2020, 12:51 AM   #3045
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Monahan is signed for 3 more years and plays centre.

He’s unquestionably a more valuable trade piece.
Ridiculous, Monahan lines up at centre but make no mistake Gaudreau drives that line and handles the puck 3x as much as Monahan on offence.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:47 AM   #3046
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's the thing with Gaudreau alot of people have pointed out... Is he really going to want to re-sign here?

So you trade him obviously.

Now, do you do it in the "off-season" or do you do it mid season when the team may be doing well or may not be doing well?

Either way in that last scenario you would be a taking a pretty big risk if you were GM trading a player like Johnny in the middle of a season. This might be the last chance you get in receiving assets while also giving the team a chance to win.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:05 AM   #3047
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Consensus?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 06:56 AM   #3048
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Consensus?
It isn't? I thought most posters think that way.

If he's not leaving then re-sign him, I don't mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #3049
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't? I thought most posters think that way.

If he's not leaving then re-sign him, I don't mind.
I, for one, don't think he will leave and will re-sign.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #3050
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If we make a hockey trade with Gaudreau the return will likely be disappointing. Whatever you can get now is going to be better than what you get as time goes on though. Gaudreau with one year left on his deal isn't going to bring back something significant. Gaudreau as a rental is even worse. Fans need to get it out of their heads that the return has to be equal or better because something decent now for us to build around is better than nothing in a couple years. Meaning a lesser player on a better contract signed for 5 years is likely more valuable than Gaudreau for 2 more years or Gaudreau signed for 8+ million.

Last edited by Hackey; 10-15-2020 at 07:28 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #3051
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Consensus by who? The fans? Lmao. It is hilarious how the Gaudreau bashers will completely ignore what the guy said himself to continue to push their own version of events led by their guru Eric Francis. If Gaudreau leaves it will be because Tre thinks it makes the team better via the pieces coming back or the Flames can't fit him in the budget. If Gaudreau is traded I can't wait for Francis to fix on Tkachuk next as wanting out because that is his schtick. He will preach about how he wants to play in the US, preferably in St Louis and a bunch of you will eat that crap up despite what Tkachuk or anyone else says.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #3052
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Players will re-sign dont think that is an issue just tell Edwards to open up his wallet.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #3053
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

thoughts on Mackenzie Weegar - RS D - FLA (RFA) for Ryan?

saves us some cap , as could sign likely for around 2 mil or less and fills out bottom pairing D. Looks like he was on the 2nd PK unit as well. Only 26 years old.

FLA could use a bottom 6 center.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #3054
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Consensus by who? The fans? Lmao. It is hilarious how the Gaudreau bashers will completely ignore what the guy said himself to continue to push their own version of events led by their guru Eric Francis. If Gaudreau leaves it will be because Tre thinks it makes the team better via the pieces coming back or the Flames can't fit him in the budget. If Gaudreau is traded I can't wait for Francis to fix on Tkachuk next as wanting out because that is his schtick. He will preach about how he wants to play in the US, preferably in St Louis and a bunch of you will eat that crap up despite what Tkachuk or anyone else says.
Every single media member in Calgary has predicted it. It has been thrown out there by many insiders that Gaudreau may want to play in the East. Johnny told Flames fans at a end of season press conference he could see himself playing in Calgary his whole career. He told a Philly radio station he would like to play for the Flyers one day. He is speaking to his audience and telling them what they want to hear.

Your stance on Gaudreau is eerily familiar to the one you took on Tavares where you were steadfast in your belief he wanted to stay on Long Island. Now with a potential Canadian division Johnny could get cut off from his family again for months and that will be fresh in his mind as he becomes eligible for an extension.

I don’t think loyalty remains in sport anymore. Players do what is best for themselves and the teams try and do the same
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:05 AM   #3055
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whether you believe Johnny will leave or not, what he said to the media about wanting to stay her and sign a contract is worth about zero in weighing how much that is worth in determining what he will do. No different than the value of what he told the Philly media.

Personally I believe that Johnny would prefer to be back east. I also think the Flames likely know this and will trade him when they think the return would be best.

But none of us really know this, it's all speculation.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:06 AM   #3056
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was a betting man I would bet on Johnny not being a Flame in two seasons. In fact if anyone is that convinced he will re-sign I will gladly take your money in a bet. It's not only the fact that he's a family guy that lives out east and dreamed about playing out east. It's the fact he absolutely hates flying and we all know that the travel out east is significantly lower than out west. Significantly lower. If he ends up playing out his deal in Calgary I wouldn't doubt that he will be counting down the days near the end of the season to leave the west for good.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:07 AM   #3057
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get really excited when I'm at a concert and the band says "Hello *city I'm currently in*" and then gives an anecdote about *city I'm currently in*. It feels 100% genuine and not like a generic platitude at all.

Last edited by nik-; 10-15-2020 at 08:11 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #3058
BEANZ
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Came in hoping to find a few new trade rumours or some speculation. Left wondering how everyone knows exactly what Johnny is thinking....
Old 10-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #3059
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEANZ View Post
Came in hoping to find a few new trade rumours or some speculation. Left wondering how everyone knows exactly what Johnny is thinking....
Looks like speculation to me.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #3060
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post

How many times have we heard how a player loves to play somewhere and wants to sign there? What players say is meaningless. They are generic answering machines unless something is really wrong or they're in a bad situation, which I don't think is the case here at all with Gaudreau.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread