Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #5581
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Historic coincidences

1947 & 1948 - Do You Believe In Coincidences?

The year was 1947. Some of you will recall that on July 8, 1947, 70+ years ago, numerous witnesses claim that an Unidentified Flying Object, with five aliens aboard, crashed onto a sheep and mule ranch just outside Roswell, New Mexico. This is a well-known incident that many say has long been covered-up by the U.S. Air Force, as well as other Federal Agencies and Organizations. However, what you may NOT know is that during the month of April, year 1948, nine months after the historic day, the following people were born:

· Mike Pence
· Donald Trump
· Mitch McConnell

This is the obvious consequence of aliens breeding with sheep and jackasses. I truly hope this bit of information clears up a lot of things for you. It certainly did for me.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #5582
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't be a rube, Dion. A quick Google will tell you Mike was born in 1959, Trump was born in 1946, and Mitch 1942. Strangely the aliens weren't the easiest part of that story to debunk.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #5583
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
On a different gear grinder topic (now that WO43 has been rightly absolved):

I have to say I find it really (sad? weird? I dunno) that people steal jokes/one liners from somewhere and pass them off as their own. It happens on twitter all the time, and I've noticed it happening here too especially in the American Politics thread.

Basically, what happens is a funny tweet will do well, and then you see someone come up and change the wording very slightly and post it on their own twitter. Here, I've seen lifting from twitter done word for word, but still usually just the same slight adjustment of a word or two, but otherwise exact same comment on an issue that some popular tweet had. I'm not talking similar ideas, I'm talking the same wording or same phrasing with the same structure.

Why do people do this? Why not just quote the tweet?

It's always possible that two separate people have the exact same thought hours apart, but that's probably less likely than it being lifted. It just seems really weird to me. And it's impossible to tell how far the rabbit hole goes, the person who stole it may have stolen it from someone else who stole it too, but it's a bizarre thing to watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think about that all the time!

Usually I try and credit the source. Every once and a while, if it works better in the first person, I’ll make it my own.

But I do notice when a popular tweet is on the front page of Reddit someone will inevitably make the exact same joke on CP and I do roll my eyes a bit.

I’ve always just assumed that they figure we know it isn’t their joke and was lifted from somewhere else so what’s the harm?

Even images/gifs. As long as you aren’t trying to pretend you made them, he source doesn’t always have to be noted. If a gif gets posted to r/Calgaryflames, you know it’s going out into the world. But I do appreciate the effort to offer credit, it’s just not always required IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Yeah seeing that "RBG success case before god" tweet turn up here unattributed was weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That was probably the most jarring recent example, and there was another a couple of days ago about Trump's COVID that was a lift (among the probably dozens of others over the past few months).

I'm with Cecil though, I would almost be embarrassed to ask people to give credit to a tweet of all things so I generally just shake my head and move on, but it's so weird to watch.
Kind of like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Historic coincidences

The year was 1947. Some of you will recall that on July 8, 1947, 70+ years ago, numerous witnesses claim that an Unidentified Flying Object, with five aliens aboard, crashed onto a sheep and mule ranch just outside Roswell, New Mexico. This is a well-known incident that many say has long been covered-up by the U.S. Air Force, as well as other Federal Agencies and Organizations. However, what you may NOT know is that during the month of April, year 1948, nine months after the historic day, the following people were born:

· Mike Pence
· Donald Trump
· Mitch McConnell

This is the obvious consequence of aliens breeding with sheep and jackasses. I truly hope this bit of information clears up a lot of things for you. It certainly did for me.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #5584
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Kind of like this?
Just curious, why is your link to the Nepali version of FB?
Old 10-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #5585
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm Nepalese.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #5586
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Historic coincidences

· Mike Pence
· Donald Trump
· Mitch McConnell

Haven't you learnt your lesson from the fake UCP rah rah posts you shared?? lol
Old 10-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #5587
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Kind of like this?
I feel like Dion gets his own special exemption. I like to imagine that every day at his computer is like he's discovered it for the first time. And then he goes off to golf somewhere.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #5588
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1313219303496462341
Old 10-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #5589
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think it's all for show. He is not out of the woods yet.

Has he got a rake?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #5590
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Surely this is illegal.
Used to be until trump. The law, enacted during the Reagan years, has been repealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What is a poll watcher? Hands up if you have never heard that term.

Is is the same as volunteering in our elections to work at the polls and cross off addresses, hand out ballots etc.?

A bunch of white supremacists, largely made up of cops and ex military, show up fully armed and chase away minorities at gun point, threatening them with arrest or violence if they vote.

It’s been a republican tactic for years until it was outlawed in the 80s. It’s now legal again.

Yay democracy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #5591
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Biden needs to borrow Jaime Harrison's plexiglass shield.
Biden needs his Secret Service detail standing at the midpoint of the stage to keep Covid Donny away from him by any means necessary.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #5592
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@realDonaldTrump

I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!

12:37 PM · Oct 5, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Now I actually hope he dies a horrible, gasping death. It would truly save thousands of lives. Idiots and hillbillies. But they don't deserve to be treated as such.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:19 PM   #5593
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why do you need a helicopter to go from Walter Reed to the White House? Is is not far by car?
Old 10-05-2020, 04:21 PM   #5594
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Why do you need a helicopter to go from Walter Reed to the White House? Is is not far by car?
The car guys have already been exposed to the special Trump strain of covid, and he didn't want to exclude the helicopter guys from being so blessed.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #5595
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:

This came up the other day in the news. Apparently it's just the preferred, safer way for them to transport the President. Too much potential for incidents when transporting by car.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #5596
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
This came up the other day in the news. Apparently it's just the preferred, safer way for them to transport the President. Too much potential for incidents when transporting by car.
But his drive-by photo op on Sunday is ok? The cost of flying a helicopter like that is immense.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #5597
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But his drive-by photo op on Sunday is ok? The cost of flying a helicopter like that is immense.

I saw a C-130 Hercules land in Palm Springs last year with Trump's limo's and golf clubs. Then Air Force 1 landed. That chopper is cheap cheap.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #5598
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot wait for him to crash from the steroids. If he was panicked on Friday, he will literally have a stroke.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #5599
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN just showed close up video of Trump when he got to the White House balcony and removed his mask and I'm no doctor but he was really labouring just to breathe and it looked like he was having considerable difficulty just standing still and straight. He is such an idiot.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #5600
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope someone got a shot of the orange goo that must be smeared on the inside of that mask.
Closed Thread