Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #4841
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden had one task night and that was call into question Trump's fitness for office.

If I was him I would have used the word "unfit" 500 times in the context of every issue and everything Trump has done.

Why on God's earth didn't he do that? The Dems are just total failures.
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #4842
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Great point actually that this isn't Biden's fault in anyway, and he should have simply deferred to Wallace and asked him if he was serious about moderating the debate in a way where Trump isn't hijacking every single question.

Basically tell Wallace to figure it out or he's leaving.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #4843
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Also - I'm not sure what is meant by this comment: why have the democrats put up such a flaccid candidate in this situation?

Biden won the most delegates in Primary Elections. He was not selected by some secret cabal.
Biden won the most delegates thanks to nearly 2/3rds of primary voters being over the age of 45 (many far older). It's not a flawless system as we all know and one that needs to change.

Watching that debate performance should make everyone concerned that no matter what way it goes, the USA will be lead by a doddering old man. One a complete lunatic and the other who appears to be one of the most flaccid candidates in recent memory (Flaccid: lacking force or effectiveness).
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #4844
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Not sure if you are insinuating I am pro Trump and/or uninformed. My post contained pros and cons to Alberta for each candidate, but I guess objective pondering of any upside to Trump is beyond the pale here.

What I said was that I believed based on Biden endorsements for Buy America and his slip of support for the Green New deal he may not be this white knight for people outside the USA.

If he cancels Keystone as promised, and the rail link to Alaska for purely political reasons is that a win? If he keeps the tariffs and increases them on us is that a win?

I will be clear, I wouldn't vote for Trump if I were American. People need to temper themselves however in this battle of pure good and evil. Neither men fit that bill and Canadians should be prepared that not much may change if Biden wins.

It isn't just me who sees that here is an offering from the Liberal paper:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/biden-...lism-1.5644124
I never mentioned your post but good response, I understand the Keystone argument, but our immediate proximity geographically and politically to the US means that their health (and sanity)as a superpower should be our greatest concern.

is your cat doing singing?
Old 09-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #4845
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Biden broke his personal one hour fundraising record last night amid the debate.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...te/3586878001/

Is there a shirt that says, “Can I be honest?” He said that in the debate.

Below that should say, “Americans have been asking the same question.”
Old 09-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #4846
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I just watched the 'highlights' and it blows me away that they don't just cut the mic of whoever isn't playing by the rules. How does the moderator get caught up in an argument with the President? Why wouldn't he just cut Trump's mic when he can't get a question out? Obviously this is what the media wants and they deserve a big part of the blame for whatever the hell that was last night.
I agree with you.

The more I think about it, cutting Trumps mic gives him the chance to say they are trying to steal the election from him by not letting him speak.

The same way he's been bringing up mail in votes as if it's a conspiracy.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #4847
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Biden won the most delegates thanks to nearly 2/3rds of primary voters being over the age of 45 (many far older). It's not a flawless system as we all know and one that needs to change.
As someone younger than 45...so what? It's not like young people were systematically disenfranchised and prevented from voting in the primary as part of some grand conspiracy by old white boomers to retain power and control. And I'm sure the Democratic Party would be thrilled if more young people were engaged and involved in politics. It's not the system's fault if people under 45 didn't bother to vote.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #4848
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jill Biden vs. Melania Trump.

That’s the debate I want to see.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #4849
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the future, all televised debates should involve each participant being in a soundproofed booth, with a mic that is automatically turned off when it's not the person's allotted time to speak. This would eliminate the problem of people interrupting others and shouting over one another.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #4850
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Who was better than Biden in terms of winning the election? Give me a name.
Does it matter? When you have 30-40% of voters under the age of 45 voting in America, it is a huge issue and a big reason why you have guys like Trump and yes, even Joe Biden in office.

There are very few countries that routinely see parties that continue to run 65+ year old candidates because they are simply out of touch and lack any relatability. Most G20 countries are moving to younger, more inspiring leadership as is evidenced by the nearly 55 year old leadership age average of these nations.

When the dust settles, a younger candidate may not be superior to an older one, but at least there's a better chance they will appeal to the younger voters and avoid scenarios where you have two duds going at it like they were last night over the leadership of one of the most influential countries in the world.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-30-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #4851
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d love to see Trump in a sound-proofed booth with no mic yelling at himself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #4852
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Man is it ever annoying when people constantly ask who was better than Biden.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:33 PM   #4853
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
In the future, all televised debates should involve each participant being in a soundproofed booth, with a mic that is automatically turned off when it's not the person's allotted time to speak. This would eliminate the problem of people interrupting others and shouting over one another.
In previous debates, this was never an issue. Candidates respected one another and didn't interrupt like Trump does. Once he's done his term, I suspect it returns back to that.

Unless Kanye is serious about running and the Dems nominate Taylor Swift or something.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #4854
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
In previous debates, this was never an issue. Candidates respected one another and didn't interrupt like Trump does. Once he's done his term, I suspect it returns back to that.

Unless Kanye is serious about running and the Dems nominate Taylor Swift or something.
You discount how much social media and the Twitterverse has driven Americans apart.

I don't think it gets better next election. I think it gets worse.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #4855
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Man is it ever annoying when people constantly ask who was better than Biden.
Man is it ever annoying when people constantly complain about Biden as the candidate when he easily won the nomination through an open process.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #4856
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Man is it ever annoying when people constantly complain about Biden as the candidate when he easily won the nomination through an open process.
Biden is a terrible candidate. A bubbling, senile old man who should be retiring on a beach somewhere and not running for President.

You'd have to be a pretty big partisan hack to not see that, which I guess is why you don't.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #4857
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

"Biden is a terrible candidate" is not a solution to removing Trump.

I'm all for letting all hell break loose on Biden the moment the election is over and Trump loses...but for now, it's time to come together and realize that he's the best and only chance at removing the cancer from the Oval Office.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #4858
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Biden is a terrible candidate. A bubbling, senile old man who should be retiring on a beach somewhere and not running for President.
Yet no one was able to beat him in the primaries. Why do you think that is? You're such a stable genius, please educate us all on what should have happened.

Quote:
You'd have to be a pretty big partisan hack to not see that, which I guess is why you don't.
Or maybe I understand how the system works and am willing to accept the fact that these are the two options we Americans have to select from, and am willing to accept the lesser of two evils to try and restore some normalcy to our discourse and political system? There is no use continually crying about something that you can't fix at this point. Accept what we have to work with, and get the #### over it. If you want to call that a partisan hack, fire away. The other alternative is to be a whiny little bitch, and you should never go full whiny little bitch. Oops, you didn't get the memo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 03:12 PM   #4859
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Does it matter? When you have 30-40% of voters under the age of 45 voting in America, it is a huge issue and a big reason why you have guys like Trump and yes, even Joe Biden in office.

There are very few countries that routinely see parties that continue to run 65+ year old candidates because they are simply out of touch and lack any relatability. Most G20 countries are moving to younger, more inspiring leadership as is evidenced by the nearly 55 year old leadership age average of these nations.

When the dust settles, a younger candidate may not be superior to an older one, but at least there's a better chance they will appeal to the younger voters and avoid scenarios where you have two duds going at it like they were last night over the leadership of one of the most influential countries in the world.
You're completely ignoring voting behaviors. Would it surprise you that only 22% of people under the age of 29 vote with any regularity? 25% don't vote with any regularity, and 40% aren't even registered to vote? There is a big cost to trying to drive these disengaged voters to the polls and you rarely make that investment payoff. So it is unlikely you are going to see parties select candidates that appeal to the youth, and alienate the +50 set, as that +50 demographic are your most consistent voters.

Me, I hated that Sanders and Biden were the top candidates. I liked the idea of a younger person like Pete or Harris, but that wasn't in the cards. The primary voters (all those old folks that care about politics) threw their support behind the two old white guys. It is what it is. Until the youth takes an interest in the political process and actively gets involved, this is unlikely to change.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #4860
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plot twist: Azure actually wanted AOC to run for president despite her ineligibility due to her age.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Closed Thread