Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2020, 10:45 PM   #41
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does accepting that there's a possibility this was a breach of a lab automatically equate to thinking it was a potential bioweapon?

Because I think this was naturally occurring virus, but I don't see why someone thinking that this was potentially an accidental release of a study subject is unfathomable.

Why are the lines so hard here?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #42
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Does accepting that there's a possibility this was a breach of a lab automatically equate to thinking it was a potential bioweapon?

Because I think this was naturally occurring virus, but I don't see why someone thinking that this was potentially an accidental release of a study subject is unfathomable.

Why are the lines so hard here?
Are you PC bro or not?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:58 PM   #43
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:16 PM   #44
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Some opinions simply are not worthy of respect.
Like yours. See how that works?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #45
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
That's not an article, that is an opinion piece. Clearly identified as an opinion as it is run in the Opinions section.

What a strange interpretation of this piece. How did you miss this statement, that was made TWICE in the column.

"U.S. intelligence officials think there’s no evidence whatsoever that the coronavirus was created in a laboratory as a potential bioweapon. Solid scientific research demonstrates that the virus wasn’t engineered by humans and that it originated in bats."
You know what part you missed? The part where myself or the piece ever posited that this was a bioweapon or human engineered. You missed it because I never said or even hinted at that. A+ reading comprehension there.

The point of the piece is that there's a lot of coincidences, coincidences I laid out. Something that points to the *possibility* that this was a leak from their bio lab. It's a pretty big coincidence that a bat coronavirus from bats thousands of kilometers away springs up three hundred yards from an institute studying said viruses, especially when the seafood market in question doesn't sell bats. But this could have also easily come from an animal in the market that had contact with a bat along the line. Just because I'm pointing out the *possibility* (I'll keep stressing that for people that have trouble with people not just shouting one black and white view) doesn't mean I'm going overboard the full blown conspiracy theory. People need to actually read posts instead of thinking one break from the main narrative means a full embrace of crazy town conspiracy theories like it being a bio weapon on 5G towers. You can find scientists stating this wasn't engineered because of natural variations in the proteins, so I believe them, but I highly doubt you'll find anyone stating this 100% came from the sea food market. They'll say it's highly likely, but again, possibilities.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 04-11-2020 at 11:33 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 02:42 AM   #46
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
It's a theory that relies on the under lying assumption that the Chinese are either evil or incompetent, either way it puts down the Chinese.
You seem to want to make this a race issue, calling the Chinese government out has nothing to do with it's people.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #47
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
At this point no, probably not.

What matters I suppose is the blame game. Society always feels a need to point blame. It's obvious blame is being directed at the Chinese, but the pitchfork brandishers need to know to what extent the punishment shall be. Are they being punished for messing around with microscopic bugs while developing an ultra bio-weapon, or shall they be flogged for eating dirty bat soup?
The Winnipeg CDC lab has had two close calls at their lab. The risk of leaks is a consequence of the existence of these facilities.

There also isn’t support at all for the bio-weapon theory as the virus is uniformly held as created by nature. So the question is was it a lab accident, something that occurs occasionally where viruses are studied, in a lab studying novel Coronaviruses to prevent epidemics like this or was it wet markets. It was a bio-weapon isn’t really on the table.

So who really cares if it’s lab accident or wet market.

Last edited by GGG; 04-12-2020 at 07:52 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #48
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The Winnipeg CDC lab has had two close calls at their lab. The risk of leaks is a consequence of the existence of these facilities.

There also isn’t support at all for the bio-weapon theory as the virus is uniformly held as created by nature. So the question is was it a lab accident, something that occurs occasionally where viruses are studied, in a lab studying novel Coronaviruses to prevent epidemics like this or was it wet markets. It was a bio-weapon isn’t really on the table.

So who really cares if it’s lab accident or wet market.

So I've been told. I was being facetious.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #49
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Zero tolerance for agenda-driven conspiracy theories. We might as well talk about how 5G towers are causing Covid next.

Some opinions simply are not worthy of respect. And that includes this one, even with full knowledge that it is a virtual certainty that the CCP is lying about many aspects of the disease within their borders.
Lol okay Resolute
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #50
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Lol okay Resolute
Show me reliable sources making these arguments, and then a fair discussion can be had.

Until then, I'm filing this topic in the same bin as the pedophile pizza ring, Obama being a Kenyan Muslim and how vaccines cause autism.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #51
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Show me reliable sources making these arguments, and then a fair discussion can be had.

Until then, I'm filing this topic in the same bin as the pedophile pizza ring, Obama being a Kenyan Muslim and how vaccines cause autism.
The Epoch Times link in the OP was not credible then? Honest question I have no idea about that source. What about the Washington Post article posted by DiracSpike or the other links from the nature.com posted in this thread? Are those not reliable?
Old 04-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #52
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

You should be precise about what arguments you are speaking about

Then we can see if anyone is actually making those arguments
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:47 PM   #53
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
The Epoch Times link in the OP was not credible then? Honest question I have no idea about that source. What about the Washington Post article posted by DiracSpike or the other links from the nature.com posted in this thread? Are those not reliable?
The Epoch Times has a committed mandate to paint the CCP in the absolute worst light possible. It would be like using Press Progress to base your opinions of the CPC on, or the Rebel to form your views of the Liberals.

As I noted in my first reply, calling it the "CCP Virus" instantly disqualifies them as a reliable source. They are calling it that for pretty much the same reason why Trump calls it the "China flu".
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2020, 08:53 PM   #54
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Epoch times seem to be on the antivaccination train too so if you take every word from them seriously, you should also stop vaccinating your kids too
Old 04-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #55
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There might be an interesting correlation between the anti-vax movement and the Chinese bioweapon brigade.

Anti-vax
A journal publishes a speculative piece on the compounds used by pharmaceuticals in specific vaccines being unnecessarily harsh as a cost saving measure. (versus equally effective but more expensive alternatives) Sleazier Naturapaths latch onto the idea as a way to sell their products and home-made remedies. A celebrity endorses the idea. Idiots follow.

Makers of vaccines now have a magic shield around every aspect of their product.

Chinese Bioweapon
A journal posits the possibility that the virus escaped a facility near 'ground zero' which exists to examine viruses of this sort. Sleazier political escapist shows scream 'bioweapon'! A celebrity endorses the idea. Idiots follow.

The Chinese government is given a free pass on a possible cause of the virus.

It looks like the Chinese government just needs a third party celebrity with a lot of clout amongst the gullible and desperate, and they are home free on disregarding this kind of speculation. How about a Kardashian?

Someone asking a reasonable question could get out of hand quickly, especially if the stakes are high.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #56
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it’s quite possible that a “Chernobyl” type medical event happened in the vicinity of Wuhan. Certainly the coverup and smokescreen(that it was the US that caused it) are very similar to the way the Russians handled that event. Even recently Putin was saying that Chernobyl was triggered by the CIA.

I would more so point to an accident rather then a deliberate bio attack. If only because the CCP probably would not have released a bio weapon on their own people.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #57
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN reporting that the Chinese government is prohibiting the publication of research on the origins of the virus without state approval.

Chinese universities blocked from releasing their findings.

Unbelievable. Actually not. Totally predictable. $%^&ers.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #58
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Well there you have it. I guess we’ll have to follow the words of the “experts” without any questioning or curiosity about the origin of something that literally has cataclysmic and seismic sized worldwide impacts. It’s not like at any point in history the majority of experts or scientists have ever been wrong on anything ever.

I’m not in search of supporting anti-vax or anti-science agendas, or conspiracy theories. However I am in support of having an open mind and being willing to consider possibilities based on evidence and facts such as things that have been posted in this very thread.

When a state like China goes razor sharp in its efforts to shut down investigations, to me that is like a sky filled with smoke and assuming no fire is causing it. That’s what reading this thread is like. Assuming that “experts” have said the smoke came from point A when it is too early to tell and no other possibilities can be explored, when the smoke is all hovering over various points and Smoky the Bear is closing out reporters from asking questions.

But sure, sources and people are stupid to ask questions. Case closed!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:59 PM   #59
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose I view this like 9/11, for millenia flu's in particular and plagues in general have arisen from human contact with animals so there is absolutely nothing unusual about the idea another one would come along in exactly the same way from a location with a long history of being the source of infections.

Now that in its own isn't proof that it wasn't the fault of some secret lab of the Chinese anymore than there are possible if fantastic explanations for 9/11 that make it all the fault of the CIA or Israel or the NWO but there is no logic proof or scientific basis for anything other than its just another flu like infection from an area with a long history of flu like virus's.
As a bio weapon it is rubbish, it is not particularly deadly by bio weapon standards, the fact there is a lab in an area with a long history of 'birthing' corona virus's that studies corona virus's seems to be little more than common sense by who ever decides where labs go, if you want to study ebola you put a lab in central Africa, northern china is pretty much where you would put a lab to study corona as far as I understand.

proposing this on the basis of 'there's a lab there and the Chinese Government are a bunch of ######s' is little better than most of the 9/11 hypothesis and shouldn't be given credibility at all unless some actual evidence surfaces
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #60
spiteface
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I suppose I view this like 9/11, for millenia flu's in particular and plagues in general have arisen from human contact with animals so there is absolutely nothing unusual about the idea another one would come along in exactly the same way from a location with a long history of being the source of infections.

Now that in its own isn't proof that it wasn't the fault of some secret lab of the Chinese anymore than there are possible if fantastic explanations for 9/11 that make it all the fault of the CIA or Israel or the NWO but there is no logic proof or scientific basis for anything other than its just another flu like infection from an area with a long history of flu like virus's.
As a bio weapon it is rubbish, it is not particularly deadly by bio weapon standards, the fact there is a lab in an area with a long history of 'birthing' corona virus's that studies corona virus's seems to be little more than common sense by who ever decides where labs go, if you want to study ebola you put a lab in central Africa, northern china is pretty much where you would put a lab to study corona as far as I understand.

proposing this on the basis of 'there's a lab there and the Chinese Government are a bunch of ######s' is little better than most of the 9/11 hypothesis and shouldn't be given credibility at all unless some actual evidence surfaces
theres more than the eye sees

Last edited by spiteface; 04-13-2020 at 11:38 PM.
spiteface is offline   Reply With Quote