Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2020, 12:09 AM   #41
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I finished the story and I kind of have the same feeling I did after watching The Last Jedi, so that's probably not a good thing. It was definitely a better sequel than Last Jedi, but it still fell kinda flat for me. I feel like the same story, just told slightly different would have been much better. A few random thoughts, major spoilers.

Spoiler!

Last edited by codynw; 06-21-2020 at 01:27 AM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
So I finished the story and I kind of have the same feeling I did after watching The Last Jedi, so that's probably not a good thing. It was definitely a better sequel than Last Jedi, but it still fell kinda flat for me. I feel like the same story, just told slightly different would have been much better. A few random thoughts, major spoilers.
It's hard to discern real vs fake fan reviews but plenty of people are saying the graphics and gameplay are great but the story is a swing and miss to the point where you may have nailed it with the TLJ reference where critics loved it and moviegoers didn't. I will form my own opinion after playing it myself.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #43
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm skipping to the end of the conversation without reading the other comments because I don't want to be spoiled but I'm 8-10 hours in and absolutely loving this game. The first one might be my favourite game (along with the first Red Dead) so if you're a fan of that one you'll love this one too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #44
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, it's amazing. Can't stop playing!

So far love the visuals, and the tweaks in combat make a huge difference. Great balance of exploration, combat and stealth areas so far.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #45
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Play so far? Really good. There are still some weird rough edges control wise, but nothing game breaking and probably would be resolved with some future basic optimizing updates. The visuals are amazing. I agree they look next gen.

Fantastic game so far, but definitely not masterpiece. It is really cool to play through and recognize certain structures, styles and areas of Seattle. This game is more Achilles than Hercules based on the what I've seen so far. The weakness is definitely quite fatal depending on how you view it. Great game though and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend buying and playing it based on what I've seen so far.

No spoilers below but some general design stuff mentioned which might spoil some stuff for others.
Spoiler!

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-22-2020 at 11:22 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:12 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

DoubleF I would spoiler tag basically everything in your post, including the first sentence haha.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
DoubleF I would spoiler tag basically everything in your post, including the first sentence haha.
I thought the
Spoiler!
aspect was already seemingly obvious to most due to the criticisms surrounding the game, but you are probably correct.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:14 PM   #48
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I knew it, but only because I screwed up and read an unmarked spoiler-filled review that revealed that in the first paragraph (conveniently similar to how you had it lol). I've tried not to spoil anything else for myself.

That said, I'm about 4-5ish hours in (this might mean different things to different people, but I'm past all the setups and story motivations and into Seattle). So far, so good. Visuals are pretty stunning, audio is great, mechanics are good but I wouldn't call them much of an improvement so far. Story is... eh, way too early to judge. Can't say I'm really engaged by any aspect of it yet, seems like a clunky Walking Dead script thus far (high on SHOCK VALUE but low on any resonance). That said, I'm keeping my mind open and still hoping for something great. TLOU 1 had a really strong opening that perfectly set the tone and hit you right in the gut, TLOU2 feels more forced and inconsistent in the opening to me, but TLOU1 really hit it's stride as it went on and the ending was fantastic, so I have hopes this can at least hit that part right.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #49
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I knew it, but only because I screwed up and read an unmarked spoiler-filled review that revealed that in the first paragraph (conveniently similar to how you had it lol). I've tried not to spoil anything else for myself.

That said, I'm about 4-5ish hours in (this might mean different things to different people, but I'm past all the setups and story motivations and into Seattle). So far, so good. Visuals are pretty stunning, audio is great, mechanics are good but I wouldn't call them much of an improvement so far. Story is... eh, way too early to judge. Can't say I'm really engaged by any aspect of it yet, seems like a clunky Walking Dead script thus far (high on SHOCK VALUE but low on any resonance). That said, I'm keeping my mind open and still hoping for something great. TLOU 1 had a really strong opening that perfectly set the tone and hit you right in the gut, TLOU2 feels more forced and inconsistent in the opening to me, but TLOU1 really hit it's stride as it went on and the ending was fantastic, so I have hopes this can at least hit that part right.
I also thought it seemed obvious since we already dabbled in it before the Seattle part of the game and within the first hour or so of game play. But again, I agree with your comments, that was my bad and a slip up for anyone who intends on grabbing the game later. I guess the ordering of things was also a bit of a bigger spoiler than I realized even if it isn't giving away story details. Good call.

I agree about the tone setting. The beginning of the game made me unsure if I was playing TLOU or something like Life is Strange at times. But the game gets much more solid footing in once the preamble, TLOU1 acknowledgements and set up is over.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #50
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm about 10 hours in and absolutely loving it so far. Naughty Dog has made some decisions that have surprised me from a story and gameplay perspective and I can't wait to see what else they have in store as I haven't had anything spoiled for me.

In typical ND fashion this game is a technical marvel. Visuals, audio, acting, etc. There really isn't anything better in the industry right now. The way this game makes you feel the tension on a scene by scene basis is amazing. The level of detail in every single room is unparalleled and tells a unique story. I have spent at least a couple hours just picking up notes and looking at items in buildings. The amount of love the artists put into this game is amazing.

These are beloved characters so I can understand some feeling so passionately about the story- good and bad, but I love the fact that Naughty Dog is telling the story they want to tell. They don't hold back, which is awesome to see.

Like others I was a bit concerned this game would be "too bleak" for the current times, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how things have been broken up so far. There have been plenty of little moments that make me smile and even laugh. Happy to report the bleakness hasn't been an issue in the slightest for myself so far.

The game gives back to the fans too. There are so many callbacks to the original- big and small that I really appreciated. Having just recently replayed the first game and the Left Behind dlc it was fresh in my mind.

Ellie as the main character is quicker and more nimble than Joel in the first game. It's little things like how quickly she runs, the ability to go prone, jump, and dodge that really enhance the feeling of the gameplay, while also staying true to the original. This is more stealth based as well- there are some sections where you can avoid combat entirely. There is a lot more freedom gameplay wise in that regard.

So far, this has been a huge upgrade in every single way from the original. If you are a fan of the first game, I couldn't even imagine not playing this to see how it is for yourself. Heck, even if you're a fan of single player video games in general you owe it to yourself to check this game out.

Like I said, I haven't finished this game yet- I'm not even halfway through, but concerns from earlier in the thread comparing this to Andromeda, calling it a franchise killer, etc are very off base.

Everything I have seen so far make me believe that this game truly is a masterpiece and one of the best of the generation. Very much deserving of all the glowing reviews it received.

Last edited by bax; 06-23-2020 at 09:56 AM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #51
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I have always compared playing a naughty dog game, to playing an interactive movie. Their cinematics, pacing and story telling are the highest bar out there.

Excited for this one.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #52
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Now that people are actually finishing the game, the User scores have risen 32%.

Shocker! Lol.
Quote:
When I first covered the great user score flood coming into Metacritic, the game had been out a few hours was sunk down to a 3.4/10. Since then, with 81,500 reviews in, the 32% rise has brought that score up to a 4.5/10.

Yes, that’s still very low, but I think it does reflect a lot more higher scores coming in, because it is not easy to drag up an average with this many low scores in already. And I do think its reflective of…people actually playing and finishing the game. Some of it may be Metacritic deleting some of the most offensive and hateful reviews but again…there are still 81,500 live, most of them still very low.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...nished-it/amp/

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #53
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
Now that people are actually finishing the game, the User scores have risen 32%.

Shocker! Lol.
Yeah, I mean...big surprise. I tend to discount reviews in the 0-2 range, and side eye '10/10' ones. From everything I've seen, including several reviewers who I've liked and found to have similar tastes to mine in the past, this game will end up in the 6-7.5 range, which is nothing to sneeze at but certainly not "best of this generation", either.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #54
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Yeah, I mean...big surprise. I tend to discount reviews in the 0-2 range, and side eye '10/10' ones. From everything I've seen, including several reviewers who I've liked and found to have similar tastes to mine in the past, this game will end up in the 6-7.5 range, which is nothing to sneeze at but certainly not "best of this generation", either.
13 hours in I'm around the 6 range. But I know there's 10-20 hours to come (I'm slow and enjoy finding all the random junk in each area, so probably closer to 20). I could see certain things coming together and bumping that up to a 7 or 8.

Certainly not the best of this generation overall, you're right. But visually (and audibly?) right up there, maybe even a lock.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #55
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

People are using the guitar in game to cover Johnny Cash.

(it's fully playable)

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #56
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me it's the plausibility of the whole thing dragging it down a bit right now. Like this 19 year old girl, with no real combat training and very little experience against real people, is going to waltz in to an unfamiliar city, scavenge weapons, and take down a heavily armed and organized militia all by herself. I know "it's a video game" and all that, but when you're aiming for realism it becomes a bit of an eye roller. At least give me a "Joel trained Ellie every day in guerilla warfare tactics for years" throwaway or something to make it somewhat plausible.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #57
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't beaten the game yet, but IMO the game immediately spiked to a 9-9.5/10 right off the bat. Once I hit a certain part of the game, I felt like the rating is dropping by half a point to a full point or so every chapter.

EDIT: I beat the game and while it was a fantastic experience overall, I'm annoyed by how the game was packaged together at times. I rate it a solid 7. It has all the elements of being fantastic. I think the game experience would have been improved immensely if they had reordered a few chapters as I'd kinda play certain areas and realize I knew what was going to happen in the next 10-20 minutes and I'd try to rush the section. There are also areas in the late game where they inexplicably seal off your abilities and force you to slow down.

Overall, fantastic game. I'd recommend it. I really wish they'd reorder a few chapters though. It would have made the game significantly better.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-27-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 PM   #58
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, I'm not reading the other posts just to avoid spoilers, but I'm 11+ hours into my playthrough. For reference, I am
Spoiler!

I understand that reviews were supposed to be based on the first 12 hours of the game. And honestly, I'm not sure, based on those first 12 hours that I'm now basically through, how you could give this anything BUT a 10/10. Okay, if you're a stickler, a 9. But frankly I feel like I've gotten 80 bucks out of this already so if goes completely to #### from here, I guess I'll have to just take that into account.

I have repeatedly argued that the first game was the best game ever made, and this is more of the same. I would say that the best things about the first game aren't quite as well done here, because I noticed a palpable uptick in my enjoyment during the parts where
Spoiler!
. But the rest of it is still really, really good. And god damn, is it ever beautiful.

Will update once I see what the controversy ends up being about. Can't imagine it's anything I've come across so far. Although I will say, the dogs are SUPER annoying.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #59
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I understand that reviews were supposed to be based on the first 12 hours of the game.
I'm pretty sure they could review the whole game, but only talk about the first 12 hours. So as long as they're careful about what they said, they can review the whole game just fine.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 10:39 PM   #60
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just powered through to the end because why not. Short answer: not as good as the first one. I just don't really know what story they were trying to tell. The first one worked in terms of character growth and culminated with a big philosophical issue. This one... I just don't know what it was trying to say, other than the hamfisted stuff about the cycle of violence.

Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote