Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #41
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So I had new doors and windows installed at my house over the weekend. This meant my old alarm needed a bunch of re-wiring work and since we added four opening windows that previously didn't open, I was going to need a bunch more sensors.

Had a quote from an alarm company for $50/month on a three-year term to redo the system, so $1800.

Another quote for $1200 for the hardware and installation, but unmonitored.

I decided to give a Ring Alarm Security System a try instead since I already have two of the doorbells and they are awesome.

I bought the 14-piece kit, which has two motion detectors, two control panels, range extender and covers eight windows/doors. Also bought eight more windows/door sensors, as well as the flood/freeze sensor. Total price for everything was $580, plus GST, so about half the price I was quoted to have the pros do it, and their quote didn't include covering my detached garage or a flood/freeze sensor, both of which I have with Ring.

Installation was easy. Took two hours. The app is super customizable and lets you change things instantly (as you'd expect).

I was already paying $6/month for my doorbells to have the cloud storage capabilities. With the alarm system, you pay $10/month to have it monitored, and it includes all the cameras, too, so it was kind of a no-brainer to just go to $10/month. There is also no contract. You don't need to have it monitored if you don't want.

With monitoring, you also get 3G back-up on the system and there is battery back-up as well. You can arm/disarm from your phone, which is handy if you have somebody going to your place you need to let in.

Overall, pretty neat. Only one day in so I can't comment much beyond that, but installation was easy, the interface is fantastic, the price is great, and everything seems of good quality.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #42
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So I had new doors and windows installed at my house over the weekend. This meant my old alarm needed a bunch of re-wiring work and since we added four opening windows that previously didn't open, I was going to need a bunch more sensors.

Had a quote from an alarm company for $50/month on a three-year term to redo the system, so $1800.

Another quote for $1200 for the hardware and installation, but unmonitored.

I decided to give a Ring Alarm Security System a try instead since I already have two of the doorbells and they are awesome.

I bought the 14-piece kit, which has two motion detectors, two control panels, range extender and covers eight windows/doors. Also bought eight more windows/door sensors, as well as the flood/freeze sensor. Total price for everything was $580, plus GST, so about half the price I was quoted to have the pros do it, and their quote didn't include covering my detached garage or a flood/freeze sensor, both of which I have with Ring.

Installation was easy. Took two hours. The app is super customizable and lets you change things instantly (as you'd expect).

I was already paying $6/month for my doorbells to have the cloud storage capabilities. With the alarm system, you pay $10/month to have it monitored, and it includes all the cameras, too, so it was kind of a no-brainer to just go to $10/month. There is also no contract. You don't need to have it monitored if you don't want.

With monitoring, you also get 3G back-up on the system and there is battery back-up as well. You can arm/disarm from your phone, which is handy if you have somebody going to your place you need to let in.

Overall, pretty neat. Only one day in so I can't comment much beyond that, but installation was easy, the interface is fantastic, the price is great, and everything seems of good quality.
Sounds like the DIY security monitoring systems are coming along nicely. It sounds like pairing up one of these systems along side with some windows laminate will be the best way to secure a home IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #43
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For those interested Best Buy has a sale on Ring right now. Starter system as low as $160 down from about $260 regular price. I paid $220 just recently.

Great deal
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:53 AM   #44
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Going to this monitored system is going to save me $273/year on home insurance.

Also, I said monitoring was $10/month - that's USD, FYI.

I've also added a fire and CO detector for $49. I've put flood/freeze sensors in every bathroom, under the fridge (we have water to the fridge), under the kitchen sink/dishwasher, and in the utility room. Pretty stoked on how safe everything is feeling.

A couple of weeks in with this system and we're loving it. It is such an insane upgrade from a traditional alarm. Honestly, the fire and flood monitoring are probably more important than burglar alarm, and I didn't have either one of those before. I know three people that have had floods in the last year alone - one was the fridge and the other two were bathrooms. A flood is so upsetting and stressful. This could save my bacon.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #45
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm seriously going to have to give the Ring home alarm system a serious thought, especially if it's gonna pay for itself in two years of home insurance discounts.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #46
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have had ring now for 1 month along with several cameras outside I got last year.

Works flawlessly. Just ordered a smart lock that works with ring so it will auto alarm and disarm when I lock the door. Plus Alexa has a feature that you can voice arm and disarm. Plus has break glass sensor when ring is armed.

I have sunk a bit into a full system, but for about $600 (Alarm and 3 cameras and 3 alexa devices) I have a fairly fortified home that is smart enabled.

EDIT: Just installed a compatible door lock. So now I have one touch setting the door and alarm. When I put my door code in to unlock it turns off my alarm as well. Fun stuff!

Last edited by OldDutch; 08-26-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #47
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have had ring now for 1 month along with several cameras outside I got last year.

Works flawlessly. Just ordered a smart lock that works with ring so it will auto alarm and disarm when I lock the door. Plus Alexa has a feature that you can voice arm and disarm. Plus has break glass sensor when ring is armed.

I have sunk a bit into a full system, but for about $600 (Alarm and 3 cameras and 3 alexa devices) I have a fairly fortified home that is smart enabled.

EDIT: Just installed a compatible door lock. So now I have one touch setting the door and alarm. When I put my door code in to unlock it turns off my alarm as well. Fun stuff!
What model of lock? I can't help but notice that the Kwiksets that came with my Vivint system should work with Ring....

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/ar...ith-Ring-Alarm

6 months left on the Vivint contract. Hopefully can file some of their holes in equipment by then - namely

- hidden door sensors (the strap on ones now are fugly)
- glass break
- garage door sensor

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 08-29-2019 at 11:14 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 PM   #48
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

BE469 Schlage Century Lock with Z wave Plus

Got it on Amazon after confirming it would work in the ring app.

I had a 3 year Wiser lock that worked with Wink system and was Z wave plus. It did not work with ring however.

The lock was about $230 so I was ok with swapping out. With it Form the auto arm and disarm feature. Especially with kids.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:57 AM   #49
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I purchased a Smart Wi-Fi plug only to be disappointed that it won't work with my router. I have Smart steering and the 2.4 only plug doesn't seem to want to talk to my router. any smart steering compatible or 5G compatible smart plugs out there?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #50
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I purchased a Smart Wi-Fi plug only to be disappointed that it won't work with my router. I have Smart steering and the 2.4 only plug doesn't seem to want to talk to my router. any smart steering compatible or 5G compatible smart plugs out there?
Have no issues with Tp link plugs.

Try disabling airtime fairness on your router. That is an issue for Asus and a few other routers and smart devices.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #51
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

The issue is that it's trying to connect to the 5G, or at least the router is trying to push 5G to the plug.

Someone suggested online to power down the 5G in a minimal power and go far from the router so that I'm only exposed the 2G and try that. Gonna be trying to get home

Busy driving around doing errands listening to sad music.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #52
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The issue is that it's trying to connect to the 5G, or at least the router is trying to push 5G to the plug.

Someone suggested online to power down the 5G in a minimal power and go far from the router so that I'm only exposed the 2G and try that. Gonna be trying to get home

Busy driving around doing errands listening to sad music.
What plug? All my tplink had no issues connecting to my Velop same with my nest and wyze.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #53
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teckin

It's going back to Amazon
Old 09-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #54
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Teckin

It's going back to Amazon
I have installed a few Meross plugs and switches from Amazon. They have all worked well
Old 09-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #55
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I have installed a few Meross plugs and switches from Amazon. They have all worked well
Meross works like a charm!
Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 PM   #56
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of new announcements for the Ring ecosystem today:

- Cheaper stickup cameras
- Alarm retrofit for old *wired* systems (no vivint I'm thinking)
- Doggy GPS geofence tracking devices (this will sell a ton)
- Video doorbells that will answer in a "conversational manner"

https://shop.ring.com/pages/announcements

Here's hoping they put a simple feature to arm / disarm the alarm according to a schedule in the app, like every other system... Or a geofence if you really want to get out there....
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #57
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've kind of gone nuts on the Ring and Alexa ecosystem lately (thanks Prime Day...) and am trying to embrace all that it has to offer and can do. Ring Alarm remains the last frontier not conquered....

Is anyone using Ring Alarm with professional monitoring? I'm curious to see how Ring and CPS are co-ordinated in terms of co-ordinating a response to an alarm condition. Particularly whether "verification" is required of alarms originating on a Ring system.

I did note that in some places, Ring offers this:

Quote:
When the monitoring center receives an alarm signal they will call you and your emergency contact(s) to ask if you are present at the alarm site, and able to verify whether there is a real emergency. If you are not at the alarm site or otherwise unable to verify, they will ask if you want a private guard responder to be dispatched to the alarm site in an effort to perform the verification.

If you accept, the monitoring center will dispatch a private guard responder who will check the alarm site and dispatch emergency responders (police or fire) if there is a real emergency. The fee that you agree to pay for the dispatch of a private guard responder to the alarm site is $75.00 for the first 20 minutes, and $1.25 per minute thereafter.
This is kind of cool and possibly important in terms of getting timely response from CPS. Thing is - this is only offered in Edmonton and St Albert at the moment. Was curious if there was a reason as to why this wasn't offered in Calgary.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #58
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nest alarm is being discontinued, so beware. Support will most likely go within a year.

Last edited by csnarpy; 10-21-2020 at 10:46 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #59
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Lots of new announcements for the Ring ecosystem today:

- Cheaper stickup cameras
- Alarm retrofit for old *wired* systems (no vivint I'm thinking)
- Doggy GPS geofence tracking devices (this will sell a ton)
- Video doorbells that will answer in a "conversational manner"

https://shop.ring.com/pages/announcements

Here's hoping they put a simple feature to arm / disarm the alarm according to a schedule in the app, like every other system... Or a geofence if you really want to get out there....

OMG that flying camera security drone is AWESOME!! If it works anywhere near as well as it does in that vid, I may have to consider picking one up. That's extremely cool.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #60
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I already had a Ring doorbell so I just ordered the security kit on Prime day. It was easy to set up and seems to be working well, so far.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: