Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #1301
WinnipegFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

So diploma exams in November are officially optional.....

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...r-and-november
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #1302
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well we're halfway through week 8 and we've had one confirmed case at my school - the infection was picked up at a community sporting activity. The class and teacher quarantined at home for 6 school days, and since then, no other confirmed cases.

Parents have done a pretty good job so far of keeping kids home when sick.

Community spread numbers are going up, so eventually I imagine that'll creep into the school system. But so far, I'd have to call back to school a success 8 weeks in.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #1303
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

70 cases if in-school transmission isn't great, but it's not like schools became a major driver of increased infections, which is probably as good an outcome as could have been expected.

If things don't change significantly I will definitely consider sending my kid back into the class for the second semester.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #1304
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Well we're halfway through week 8 and we've had one confirmed case at my school - the infection was picked up at a community sporting activity. The class and teacher quarantined at home for 6 school days, and since then, no other confirmed cases.

Parents have done a pretty good job so far of keeping kids home when sick.

Community spread numbers are going up, so eventually I imagine that'll creep into the school system. But so far, I'd have to call back to school a success 8 weeks in.
What sport was it from?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:51 PM   #1305
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What sport was it from?
I know at least one Minor hockey organization had a case and had to have a bunch in their group self-isolate.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 08:46 AM   #1306
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, hockey. I think it was alluded to in the Alberta Politics thread but I’ll say it again here. It isn’t going to be Covid necessarily that shuts down schools, it will be the lack of staff. I heard of a school that had 16 teachers in isolation at once. There aren’t enough subs to cover stuff like that.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #1307
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Two months into the school year, and Rocky View County and Red Deer County have continued their policy of fogging the schools. No instruction has been sent to the custodians in RV on how to effectively and safely use the product or the equipment, so they are making it up as they go.

At my friends school, they are fogging every night, several times during the day in high traffic areas, and also using the same product to disinfect in spray bottles for the whole staff in between classes.

You can smell the cleaning agent wafting from the school if you walk by it. It's my understanding that staff from several schools have chronic headaches, and students have had to stay home due to respiratory problems. The students recover after being away for a day or two, and relieved parents send them back because it was clearly not covid.

Teachers and administration have been in constant contact with OHAS, and at this point the instruction on the website for both the manufacturer of the cleaning agent, and the manufacturer of the distribution machine have not been followed.

Education.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #1308
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Two months into the school year, and Rocky View County and Red Deer County have continued their policy of fogging the schools. No instruction has been sent to the custodians in RV on how to effectively and safely use the product or the equipment, so they are making it up as they go.

At my friends school, they are fogging every night, several times during the day in high traffic areas, and also using the same product to disinfect in spray bottles for the whole staff in between classes.

You can smell the cleaning agent wafting from the school if you walk by it. It's my understanding that staff from several schools have chronic headaches, and students have had to stay home due to respiratory problems. The students recover after being away for a day or two, and relieved parents send them back because it was clearly not covid.

Teachers and administration have been in constant contact with OHAS, and at this point the instruction on the website for both the manufacturer of the cleaning agent, and the manufacturer of the distribution machine have not been followed.

Education.

The fogging agents I've investigated should not be used while the buildings are occupied and have been associated with occupational asthma. Maybe they're using something else but I'd be pretty concerned if they were fogging during the day at my kids' school. In general I wouldn't support their use except to disinfect after a known Covid case, not as a regular cleaning tool. But a few companies have been capitalizing on Covid to sell a service doing regular fogging.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:00 AM   #1309
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Education.
Geez that sounds awful. Have there been any efforts via Alberta Education to get them to dial it back? Especially now that we have a bit of a track record compared to schools that aren't doing it?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #1310
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
The fogging agents I've investigated should not be used while the buildings are occupied and have been associated with occupational asthma. Maybe they're using something else but I'd be pretty concerned if they were fogging during the day at my kids' school. In general I wouldn't support their use except to disinfect after a known Covid case, not as a regular cleaning tool. But a few companies have been capitalizing on Covid to sell a service doing regular fogging.
They use the fog between ice times for player benches and dressing rooms at hockey arena's.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #1311
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should be able to get SDS forms from the school based on OHS regulations. There might be a loop hole where the school doesn’t need them if the chemicals are used but not stored there and the chemical company could keep them with them.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #1312
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
They use the fog between ice times for player benches and dressing rooms at hockey arena's.
We use a peroxide based cleaner in an electro static gun to clean our dressing rooms. Seems to be working well and the dwell time is only 10 minutes.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:20 PM   #1313
Harry Lime
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The schools are also using an electro static gun, which makes the particles slightly larger than a true fogging. The dwell time is around 15 minutes, but that is under ideal ventilation. Many schools, the ventilation does not work properly because of their age, and portables past their recommended usage date the ventilation barely works at all. No ventilation, and the dwell time no longer has any meaning. It seems that they are also using way too much product.

The cleaner itself is Bioesque, which is a thyme based solution that is used for disinfecting and as an insecticide. Their website cites it as a respirational irritant. When challenged on the over-usage of this product, the response from Division has been "It's plant based!".

Oversight has been virtually non-existent.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:26 PM   #1314
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
The schools are also using an electro static gun, which makes the particles slightly larger than a true fogging. The dwell time is around 15 minutes, but that is under ideal ventilation. Many schools, the ventilation does not work properly because of their age, and portables past their recommended usage date the ventilation barely works at all. No ventilation, and the dwell time no longer has any meaning. It seems that they are also using way too much product.

The cleaner itself is Bioesque, which is a thyme based solution that is used for disinfecting and as an insecticide. Their website cites it as a respirational irritant. When challenged on the over-usage of this product, the response from Division has been "It's plant based!".

Oversight has been virtually non-existent.
Respond with "So is Poison Ivy"
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #1315
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Respond with "So is Poison Ivy"
Yeah this is a big gear grinder for me. “But it’s natural”. So is cyanide, and asbestos, and mercury, and and and and.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 05:30 PM   #1316
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...box=1603836531

Quote:
Calgary now has 11 schools on watch status of five or more cases. The principal of St. Francis High has asked parents to curtail their kids gatherings as 300 students and 12 staff have gone into self-isolation.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 12:28 AM   #1317
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah this is a big gear grinder for me. “But it’s natural”. So is cyanide, and asbestos, and mercury, and and and and.

I have always been amused when people refer disparagingly to “chemicals”.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #1318
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good to see the Province relax the criteria for keeping kids home/isolating/testing. It seems pretty reasonable and should help parents, teachers, and the health system and education system.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 12:51 AM   #1319
Eric Vail
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Good to see the Province relax the criteria for keeping kids home/isolating/testing. It seems pretty reasonable and should help parents, teachers, and the health system and education system.
Schools are seeing more and more cases every day and so we do less to protect them, hoping cases will go down?
Eric Vail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:06 AM   #1320
Lubicon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Schools are seeing more and more cases every day and so we do less to protect them, hoping cases will go down?
No. We're realizing that a runny nose if very likely not to be Covid and there is no reason to disrupt teachers and students lives for two weeks because they have one. This isn't about hoping cases go down, it's about realizing where to focus resources and being realistic about what constitutes Covid and what probably does not.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post: