Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #3121
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dutch judge orders EA to pay 500k Euros/week for every week that lootboxes remain for sale in FIFA.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/...wORhxFuxITwjjA
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #3122
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozwimp View Post
Out of interest what disappoints you about Ubisoft games? The microtransactions?
Same boring formula in every game, big lack of depth (big world but nothing interesting to do in them) and repetetive gameplay, AAA prices for AA quality

Last edited by btimbit; 10-29-2020 at 01:53 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #3123
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the quality of Ubisoft games is AAA which is why some of their franchises are so popular and sell well. Their issue is less quality and more that there isn't enough variance in their sequels as they all use the same formula in a different setting. The formula is very good but there's no arguing from me that there's definitely a samness to their games as there is repetitiveness but IMO they are no more repetitive than games like any insomniac game such as Spiderman or Sucker Punch game such Ghosts of Tsushima. You say the same thing about Ubisoft games every time they release a new game and I simply don't think they are for you so I don't know why you would entertain purchasing another one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #3124
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO the quality of Ubisoft games is AAA which is why some of their franchises are so popular and sell well. Their issue is less quality and more that there isn't enough variance in their sequels as they all use the same formula in a different setting. The formula is very good but there's no arguing from me that there's definitely a samness to their games as there is repetitiveness but IMO they are no more repetitive than games like any insomniac game such as Spiderman or Sucker Punch game such Ghosts of Tsushima. You say the same thing about Ubisoft games every time they release a new game and I simply don't think they are for you so I don't know why you would entertain purchasing another one.
Because they hold the rights to some of my favourite franchises and I've had to sit back and watch them ruin each one by shoving in game mechanics that don't fit. Yet like an idiot I still hold out hope and try the new installments just to get even angrier each time.

It's a vicous cycle. Never trust the French with nice stuff
Old 10-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #3125
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t mind formulaic studios, so long as I like the formula, but it’s that much more disappointing when you invest in a game that is developed along a formula you like and the outcome doesn’t live up to previous instalments.

Far cry, for example. Some of the most fun I’ve had and committed I’ve been to a couple of them, and others I didn’t bother to finish. Same exact formula every time, just annoying when they swing and miss on it, especially because I’ll buy it every time.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #3126
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

In some cases the formula does work, it's when they jam it in where it doesn't fit that drives me nuts.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #3127
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Managed to get the ePSXe emulator working on my Android tablet a few days ago so I downloaded the Suikoden rom and have been playing that. Haven't played that game in about 20 years if not more. Probably will end up playing Suikoden II right after as well as I already have that downloaded.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #3128
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t mind formulaic studios, so long as I like the formula, but it’s that much more disappointing when you invest in a game that is developed along a formula you like and the outcome doesn’t live up to previous instalments.

Far cry, for example. Some of the most fun I’ve had and committed I’ve been to a couple of them, and others I didn’t bother to finish. Same exact formula every time, just annoying when they swing and miss on it, especially because I’ll buy it every time.
Agreed. I can't believe how much enjoyment I get from ambushing couriers with high explosives. Every damn time.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #3129
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The girl started Watch Dog: Legion this morning. Every time I look in on her, she's got a grina mile wide, and we can hear lots of happy noise lol. She's quite happy to see the accessibility features again - not as many as "The Last of Us II" had, but enough to be helpful. Guessing we don't see her for a few days lol.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #3130
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire Emblem up on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08LPP9YTR

Ahead of the incoming complaints about it being physical but only digital lol.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:45 PM   #3131
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The new Spider-Man game has the suit from Into the Spider-Verse and it can even move in the low framerate style from the movie (though I guess that's an option).

Man if the whole game was in the style that would be amazing, but looking forward to this.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #3132
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The new Spider-Man game has the suit from Into the Spider-Verse and it can even move in the low framerate style from the movie (though I guess that's an option).
It sounds like you can use it on any suit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1322182119305568256
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 09:50 PM   #3133
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

https://blocks.ovh/
Old 10-31-2020, 10:42 PM   #3134
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Saw this about load times on ps5:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comment..._morales_from/

PS5 Loading times: Spider-Man Miles Morales from Home Screen to in-game in just 7 seconds, 2 to load a save

EDIT: Huh, and the controller texture is unexpected/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comment...oon_one_small/

Last edited by chemgear; 10-31-2020 at 10:46 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:23 PM   #3135
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad the Spider-Verse suit is missing the Nikes. Licensing probably costed a fortune though.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #3136
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Unsung Story was Kickstarted as a spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics. Well, after five years and a dev team change it looks like it'll be released in the next month or so. At least Chapter 1 will be. I'm excited to try it.

https://www.gamersfirst.com/unsung-s...lopment%20team.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #3137
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well it certainly doesn't look like a spiritual successor to FFT, art or setting or character or really anything-wise, other than being a tile-based strategy RPG.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #3138
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Well it certainly doesn't look like a spiritual successor to FFT, art or setting or character or really anything-wise, other than being a tile-based strategy RPG.
It was abandoned by the original developers so that premise pretty much went out the window. I'm just happy that I'm getting a game at all.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #3139
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Much of what made Unsung Story a spiritual successor are no longer a part of the game, but the guts are still there. Yasumi Matsuno, the director of FFT, wrote the basics of Unsung Story at the start of the Kickstarter. That also included a significant change to the battle system which was ultimately rejected by the developers.

The other original parts were having Akihiro Yoshida do the artwork and Hitoshi Sakimoto do the music, so the main trio who made FFT what it was would essentially be reunited. Obviously none of that happened, so what you see now is very different. Given that I've put money into the Kickstarter and assumed it a failed project, I'm willing to give this reborn version a shot.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #3140
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Saw this about load times on ps5:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comment..._morales_from/

PS5 Loading times: Spider-Man Miles Morales from Home Screen to in-game in just 7 seconds, 2 to load a save

EDIT: Huh, and the controller texture is unexpected/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comment...oon_one_small/

https://screenrant.com/ps5-dualsense...exture-secret/

This has been out there for awhile now, the article linked above is from June 15th. Neat way to provide the grip though.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post: