Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #521
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Minor hockey is such a simple solution. Tryouts could easily be done in small groups, teams divided up and just play games every second week, a home and home type series. Then nothing but practice for the next two weeks. After which you have another two games series against the same team. This minimizes any potential exposure, gives ample time and is a small population should contact tracing need to happen.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:55 AM   #522
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So evalutaions should be done for most. How is the early part of the season going?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #523
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
So evalutaions should be done for most. How is the early part of the season going?
Tryouts for my son went well but 3 of his best friends were cut, so he was not happy about that, and this might be why has said that this might be his last year. (He is also going into Grade 12 next year.)

It looks like our season will be exactly as Derek described it so hoping for a somewhat normal looking season. We will be playing three game series against one team followed by a two week break and then play a different team.

We do have one player out for the week right now who is rumoured to be isolating.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #524
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Tryouts for my son went well but 3 of his best friends were cut, so he was not happy about that, and this might be why has said that this might be his last year. (He is also going into Grade 12 next year.)

It looks like our season will be exactly as Derek described it so hoping for a somewhat normal looking season. We will be playing three game series against one team followed by a two week break and then play a different team.

We do have one player out for the week right now who is rumoured to be isolating.
Sounds like Dec 1 Hockey Calgary is going to similar model. Play the same team 3-4 times then two week break and play another team. Currently Hockey Calgary resembles "House Hockey"

Old 10-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #525
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

my son is a bit older but within the Hockey Calgary umbrella. starts up this weekend- Fri/Sat/Sun same opponent (hmm hopefully no bad blood ) then 2 weeks off- repeat (against a different team!)

I guess its likely one parent/spectator per player, so I suppose they can pick their favorite
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #526
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Female Elite model has taken a slightly different tack on their schedules.

U18AAA is only a six team league to begin with. They will play a 30 game schedule as usual. Play a team 6 games in a row (three weekends), then a two week break. Then repeat until they have played each team in the league.

U18AA and U15AA are 12 team leagues so are concentrating on two divisions (north and south). Play a team four times (two weekends), then a two week break and play a different team 4x etc.

have not heard what male elite stream is doing.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #527
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Female Elite model has taken a slightly different tack on their schedules.

U18AAA is only a six team league to begin with. They will play a 30 game schedule as usual. Play a team 6 games in a row (three weekends), then a two week break. Then repeat until they have played each team in the league.

U18AA and U15AA are 12 team leagues so are concentrating on two divisions (north and south). Play a team four times (two weekends), then a two week break and play a different team 4x etc.

have not heard what male elite stream is doing.
Games over a weekend with one team, 2 week game break and games with another team. I think that is their model.

Old 10-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #528
Knut

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ideo-1.5775894

Just all around stupid from kids on up to the association here.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #529
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beyond the incident itself, the fact there are pictures is another violation of most MHA policies. All the ones I have been involved in have a very clear and specific no camera/phone policy in dressing rooms. Although in this case the fact there is video will actually help the investigation.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #530
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Beyond the incident itself, the fact there are pictures is another violation of most MHA policies. All the ones I have been involved in have a very clear and specific no camera/phone policy in dressing rooms. Although in this case the fact there is video will actually help the investigation.
Lubicon, GHC has a no phones policy, but I have never heard of one from Bow Valley, so it is possible NW didn't either.

I reckon this type of activity is more prevalent than people think.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #531
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised this is really not "news" to a lot of people. This is awful behavior from many levels, on many levels. Should not be tolerated. I saw this story on Twitter and the majority of comments were "Boys will be Boys". I'm appalled.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #532
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Lubicon, GHC has a no phones policy, but I have never heard of one from Bow Valley, so it is possible NW didn't either.

I reckon this type of activity is more prevalent than people think.
Could be. I am familiar with the no phones/cameras policy from GHC and we also had one for Bow River.

Hockey Calgary also prohibits phones/cameras in the dressing room and that would therefore apply to all MHA's within Calgary. I'm assuming they still have it, I am currently looking at their rules from 2011 but wouldn't think that has changed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #533
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not to cause an argument but the choke out game has been around for 20 years. Is it stupid? Of course it is, but that's on the kids being taught how stupid it is and the dangers that can come from it.

As for the helmets and gloves and doing a "cage rage", how is that any different from boxing? Again something that has been around for as long as there has been full cages I'm sure. I think that people would be more upset if there was a coach in there and this was all going on.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:03 PM   #534
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post

As for the helmets and gloves and doing a "cage rage", how is that any different from boxing? Again something that has been around for as long as there has been full cages I'm sure. I think that people would be more upset if there was a coach in there and this was all going on.
Let me speak to this please.

In boxing you have weight classes and less peer pressure from a group of teenage boys.

I found out in the summer that my son's team (Bantam) had been cage raging last season. There was a kid that was 6ft 185lbs which I am sure you will agree is man size. My boy isn't small at the time (13 yrs old) he was 5'9", 140lbs, but even with that you are giving up a lot. This big fella was taking all comers and knocking kids about. There were some small 13 yr old on that team that thought they had to fight this kid. My boy got called up to fight him and told me he "did what you told me to dad, I hit him first & hard, then 3 more times, by that point he wasn't interested". Nobody else wanted to cage rage my son.

The point is boxing is controlled in weight classes with people taught how to punch, how to defend punches and in controlled environments. Cage Rage is none of these things and is dangerous.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #535
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hockey Calgary also prohibits phones/cameras in the dressing room and that would therefore apply to all MHA's within Calgary. I'm assuming they still have it, I am currently looking at their rules from 2011 but wouldn't think that has changed.
Yeah as I read this I reckon you are correct on the HC prohibition of phones.

Quote:
Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 PM   #536
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Let me speak to this please.

In boxing you have weight classes and less peer pressure from a group of teenage boys.

I found out in the summer that my son's team (Bantam) had been cage raging last season. There was a kid that was 6ft 185lbs which I am sure you will agree is man size. My boy isn't small at the time (13 yrs old) he was 5'9", 140lbs, but even with that you are giving up a lot. This big fella was taking all comers and knocking kids about. There were some small 13 yr old on that team that thought they had to fight this kid. My boy got called up to fight him and told me he "did what you told me to dad, I hit him first & hard, then 3 more times, by that point he wasn't interested". Nobody else wanted to cage rage my son.

The point is boxing is controlled in weight classes with people taught how to punch, how to defend punches and in controlled environments. Cage Rage is none of these things and is dangerous.
The size of that boy sounds like a boy that was in my son’s Bantam div. last year.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #537
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Could be. I am familiar with the no phones/cameras policy from GHC and we also had one for Bow River.

McKnight as a no phones/camera policy too.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #538
Knut

Exp:

The Knights are no phones.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #539
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
The size of that boy sounds like a boy that was in my son’s Bantam div. last year.
Bow Valley Bantam Div 2?

Quote:
Old 11-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #540
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is clear a lock down of sorts is coming.

I don't believe there will be any hockey until the spring.

Has anyone heard form their associations about a potential returning of some registration monies?

Quote: