Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #141
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The advanced stats would say the Flames were soundly outplayed that series. Feel free to say they don’t paint the whole picture because you’d have a point. But goalies aside, this team hasn’t outplayed an opponent in the playoffs since Vancouver IMO. And often it hasn’t been that close.
While I agree with most of your post, I would argue the Flames definitely outplayed the Ducks despite getting swept.

That was simply all on Elliott
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #142
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
While I agree with most of your post, I would argue the Flames definitely outplayed the Ducks despite getting swept.

That was simply all on Elliott
One of the most maddening series I’ve ever watched. F*%* you Elliott indeed Kris.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 08:15 PM   #143
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The advanced stats would say the Flames were soundly outplayed that series.
I don't disagree that for the most part, the Flames were outplayed.

But sometimes you're going to get outplayed, and still score 4 goals. This happened for the Flames in games 2 and 4. At that point, you need your goaltender to make at least the saves you expect your goaltender to make, and Talbot let in some pretty weak goals. And of course there's game 6 which was a goaltending nightmare.

Even some of the top cup winning teams over the years have had games where they were outplayed, but their goaltender was good enough and their scoring was good enough.

Our scoring was good enough.
Our goaltending was not. We didn't need talbot to outright steal those games, just keep the opponent to the ~3 goals they truly earned.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #144
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Seems like some in Russia are surprised that Nestrov signed for a NHL minimum deal:
https://www.championat.com/hockey/ar...s-kalgari.html

The gist of the article is that in December he had a handshake deal for a 5 year deal to stay in CSKA, then a $6 million deal with the Kings which was withdrawn. The author is surprised that all it took was a NHL minimum deal after a career year.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #145
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now all we need is a season to play.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 09:54 AM   #146
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Seems like some in Russia are surprised that Nestrov signed for a NHL minimum deal:

The gist of the article is that in December he had a handshake deal for a 5 year deal to stay in CSKA, then a $6 million deal with the Kings which was withdrawn. The author is surprised that all it took was a NHL minimum deal after a career year.
For me, this says that, regardless of the money and the fact that he could get more in the KHL, he wants to get back to the best league in the world and prove himself as a player.

The other thing is that, we talk about the revenue issues that the NHL is facing, but no one talks about the fact that the KHL (and other leagues) are facing the same challenges. I would imagine that the offers dried up from KHL teams, just as they did from NHL teams.

Regardless, the KHL's loss is our gain!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #147
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

It's like the writer has no concept of a salary cap or the fact that a lot of things have changed in the world since December.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #148
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
well he shoots left so... check
And small for a D-man
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 AM   #149
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
And small for a D-man
He is solid though so that is not a big issue.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:29 AM   #150
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
And small for a D-man
He is not small, unless your only measure is height. He is 5'11" but 200 lbs. He is a solid dude.

And he hits like a freight train.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #151
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you guys think Kylington may be on his way out? Feel like a signing like this wouldn’t be sitting well with him.

Either him or Hanifin. I’m shocked Nesterov signed with us for so little. I think he’s already a solid 4/5 D.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #152
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Do you guys think Kylington may be on his way out?
The team has mishandled him thus far as guys like Fantenberg, Gustafsson did not show much if anything more than he has, and I doubt Nesterov will.

He's still only 23 years old, at the same age a guy like Duncan Keith was still trying to find his footing on a horrible team. I hope we give Kylington a chance to play big minutes before we give up on him. Sometimes minutes are all you need.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #153
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
The team has mishandled him thus far as guys like Fantenberg, Gustafsson did not show much if anything more than he has, and I doubt Nesterov will.

He's still only 23 years old, at the same age a guy like Duncan Keith was still trying to find his footing on a horrible team. I hope we give Kylington a chance to play big minutes before we give up on him. Sometimes minutes are all you need.
Oh I absolutely agree. I’ve been preaching that we give him PP1 time. My pitch to him is to sign a league minimum contract and then promise that he’d get some PP time to really show his worth. Like you said, he could essentially have the same role as Gustafsson but on a 6 figure salary amount rather than 7.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:45 AM   #154
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The defensive pairs this year are very interesting to me. I think we need to keep Hanifin and Andersson together as I liked what they brought last year. I also think that if we could put Tanev on Vali's right that it could give Juuso a chance to really come into the NHL this year running.

Hanifin - Andersson

Vali - Tanev

Gio - Nes/Kylington

I do not think that Tanev was brought in to play with Gio. I think we was brought to play with either Vali or Hanifin.
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote