Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #21
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
I don’t understand the hate for Prout. He’s the Flames 9th best d-man. I’d hazard a guess that he stacks up favourably against most other teams 9th best defender.
Agreed. He's been sheltered but has not been a liability. We've had eleven D pairs hit the 50 minute mark this season, here they are sorted by expected goal %:

The top seven are all D pairs we should be comfortable playing in the playoffs as long as they're slotted properly.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-06-2019 at 01:02 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:30 PM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's weird how they've played two games in what feels like eons, yet we seem to be more banged up than before the break began.
This is a pretty good point. Speaks to the randomness of injuries for hockey players.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM   #23
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Did he bust out? I imagine he doesn't have much of a poker face.
A few guys understandably don't return after the dinner break, which was a bit longer than usual last night.

I did give Lindy a solid Viking Clap as he was walking by last night, which he quite enjoyed. He stopped to chat and said he hopes more visiting teams do that when they win there.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #24
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This is a pretty good point. Speaks to the randomness of injuries for hockey players.
All Frolik's fault for missing an open net.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #25
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
I don’t understand the hate for Prout. He’s the Flames 9th best d-man. I’d hazard a guess that he stacks up favourably against most other teams 9th best defender.
He'd be a top 4 defenseman in Edmonton.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #26
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
He'd be a top 4 defenseman in Edmonton.
Prout for Talbot?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #27
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Agreed. He's been sheltered but has not been a liability. We've had eleven D pairs hit the 50 minute mark this season, here they are sorted by expected goal %:

The top seven are all D pairs we should be comfortable playing in the playoffs as long as they're slotted properly.
Those advanced stats are so odd with regards to Andersson. When i watch him play, I see a guy who makes good heads up plays to exit the zone be it a nice outlet pass or eluding defenders and skating it out. I see a lot of poise in his game.

On the other hand, Prout tends to make the wrong decision a lot, leading to turnovers or extended time defending. Don't get me wrong, I like having Prout around for the odd game and i understand it's hard for him to just step in after sitting awhile, but I just would not have imagined Prout would be considered better than Andersson in any way other than face punching.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 PM   #28
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I did give Lindy a solid Viking Clap as he was walking by last night, which he quite enjoyed. He stopped to chat and said he hopes more visiting teams do that when they win there.
If you really think about it, what the Canes do after they win is pretty disrespectful to the opposition.

It's pretty hypocritical of Canes fans to think that only they can do that when they win.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #29
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I wonder if they're just being more cautious as the playoffs approach. Any bang nick or cut, take a rest, heal up. No need to force things at this point.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #30
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If you really think about it, what the Canes do after they win is pretty disrespectful to the opposition.

It's pretty hypocritical of Canes fans to think that only they can do that when they win.
How is celebrating a win disrespectful to the opposition?

I doubt the players actually care what happens after a loss. Its all for the fans, heaven forbid a franchise struggling to get asses in seats does something fun for the crowd that shows up.

Are the flames being disrespectful when they have the ice crew skate the flags around after wins?
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #31
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prout deserves the day off after an almost-perfectly-executed triple-axel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #32
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those advanced stats are so odd with regards to Andersson. When i watch him play, I see a guy who makes good heads up plays to exit the zone be it a nice outlet pass or eluding defenders and skating it out. I see a lot of poise in his game.

On the other hand, Prout tends to make the wrong decision a lot, leading to turnovers or extended time defending. Don't get me wrong, I like having Prout around for the odd game and i understand it's hard for him to just step in after sitting awhile, but I just would not have imagined Prout would be considered better than Andersson in any way other than face punching.
Sample sizes are too small to draw conclusions on xGF%.

Also, quality of competition is massive for a stat like that, and is not considered with these numbers.

Absolutely nothing to see here, IMO.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:10 PM   #33
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Feb 6 Practice Notes. Hamonic, Hathaway return. Gaudreau, Prout maintenance day

Quote:

He’s not. I think this is a case where some of the glaring weaknesses in “underlying numbers” tend to be exposed. GranteedEV also seems to really dislike Andersson for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #34
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
No sign of Stone I assume

Haven’t acquire yet.

But...soooooooon
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #35
Demaeon
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Johnny went on a bender celebrating the Summit Series win.
Demaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demaeon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
He’s not. I think this is a case where some of the glaring weaknesses in “underlying numbers” tend to be exposed. GranteedEV also seems to really dislike Andersson for some reason.
I don't dislike Andersson and I already pointed out that Prout has been sheltered.

If I've said anything negative about Andersson except is that he is not presently a top 4 defenseman and that Hanifin-Andersson are presently not an effective second pair. I also feel the same about Prout and Stone, and pointed out Valimaki and Kylington have yet to play any top four or right defense themselves.

The point of the xGF% chart was that our #9D Prout has not been a blatant liability on a pair with Kylington so far. Valimaki-Andersson is one of the seven pairs that has perfectly acceptable metrics.

And yes sample size is small. He's a #9D. That should be implicit.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #37
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
Johnny given a "maintenance" day the day after the poker tournament. hmm.
Footage of his winnings.

NSFW!
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #38
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sample sizes are too small to draw conclusions on xGF%.

Also, quality of competition is massive for a stat like that, and is not considered with these numbers.

Absolutely nothing to see here, IMO.
Quote:
He’s not. I think this is a case where some of the glaring weaknesses in “underlying numbers” tend to be exposed.
Yep.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #39
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Been prone to small sample sizes unfortunately. When "called out" the other day for the Kulak > Hamonic comment he then doubled down and cited Kulak's small stretch of games with Weber as reason why he's better.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #40
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

I think the big gap between Andersson and Prout is sheltering. Prout and Kylington are the only Calgary defenseman that have faced on average players that get out played with their ice time this year. Andersson's average is much closer (though behind) the big four in Calgary.

Additionally, there has to be some right place right time stuff for Prout. For example he's ahead of Brodie, Valimaki, Andersson and Kylington in terms of high danger chances per 60 minutes when we all know not a single of these events came from him.

Best way to test that is to go to individual rates. When you look at those Prout has zero on the season, Brodie has 11, Giordano 8, Hanifin 7, ... Kylington, Hamonic and Andersson 3, Valimaki 2. Stone and Prout zero.

So his shopping list ...

a) keep it simple
b) get pucks out
c) let your linemates do the work

But what more do you want from a 8/9 guy, that's pretty solid work to not get in the way.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: