Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Google Assist

After watching the news this morning where they showed the demo of google Assistant calling to book a hair appointment, I thought I would open a thread.

The demo of the new ability for the AI to have a very human sounding conversation

People are already discussing the ethical issues of Google Assistant as far as further reducing low skill employees who would actually make phone calls and follow ups and book appointments and manage schedules.

More info on it

Its due for beta release this summer.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #2
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
After watching the news this morning where they showed the demo of google Assistant calling to book a hair appointment, I thought I would open a thread.

The demo of the new ability for the AI to have a very human sounding conversation

People are already discussing the ethical issues of Google Assistant as far as further reducing low skill employees who would actually make phone calls and follow ups and book appointments and manage schedules.

More info on it

Its due for beta release this summer.
There are some issues with this like robo call legislation.

I think there needs to be a requirement for the system to identify itself as a computer initially. That way I can hang up immediately. If any company or business contacts me using AI our conversation ends there. That's just me though.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I honestly don't think it'll come to market like we saw in the demo. It makes more sense, IMO, for Google to focus on building online booking tools for these small businesses that are easy and affordable, and have APIs so Google Assistant can easily work with them.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
There are some issues with this like robo call legislation.

I think there needs to be a requirement for the system to identify itself as a computer initially. That way I can hang up immediately. If any company or business contacts me using AI our conversation ends there. That's just me though.
Not sure if you saw the demo, but the actual interactions with real businesses were done so well by Google Assistant that it may be hard to tell. The restaurant booking one was a great example with the Assistant going in with the goal to reserve at a set time and date but the restaurant mentioned that they only take reservations for parties of 5 or more people and for 4 people, they could just walk in. The Assistant was able to actually listen, pivot and respond like a real person. Amazing stuff.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also in the keynote video, Google is working on and will be releasing soon some new features for Google Maps including viewing your location through your phone wherever you are with AR (augmented reality) features such as overlayed Google reviews for businesses based on what's in your camera frame and they're fooling around with an animated dog which would be your guide for future functions.

Such awesome stuff!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote