Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Skate Sharpening

I used to get my skates sharpened at Sportswap for a long time but according to my coach, Sportswap and Sportchek are the worst places to get them sharpened.
He said to go to a professional place to get it sharpened since the sharpen would last more than one game.

Can you guys help me out with some suggestions as to where I should get my skates sharpened? I live near the Dalhousie station so I'd prefer somewhere that isn't too far.

Thanks in advance.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I get mine done at Sportswap on 11th....the guy there is a friggin master as fas as I'm concerned. They're almost scary sharp when I get them back.

There's a place in Marda Loop on 34th ave, but I'm not sure what the name is. They advertise professional skate sharpening though.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Professional Skate
B&P Cycle
Tuxedo Sports
Done Rite Sports
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

OK, I'll ask. What is "wrong" with Sportchek? Or did your coach say.

I ask because that's where I go. Granted I really don't know how to skate...... just wondering if this is something I need to worry about once I get good enough to execute a stop without involving the boards.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
OK, I'll ask. What is "wrong" with Sportchek? Or did your coach say.

I ask because that's where I go. Granted I really don't know how to skate...... just wondering if this is something I need to worry about once I get good enough to execute a stop without involving the boards.
Alot of the time the guy sharpening the skates has no clue what he's doing. It's just the kid from the cash register running your blades along the sharpener a few times. Granted there are alot of guys who do know what they're doing, but I'd rather take my skates to a places thats known for hockey equipment
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get mine done at Sportchek and Canadian Tire every once in a while... it's really hit and miss.. I guess it depends on who does them while you're there... sometimes the guy looks lost using the machine, other times it's fine
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

And I thought i was the only one who didn't know how to skate
Old 11-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Sportchek usually has some young kid with no clue what he's doing sharpening your skates. I've found that my skates have actually been worse after taking them there. In fact, I'll use one of those machines before I'll use Sportchek.

Seriously Ken; try Sportswap on 11th. I was almost afraid to stop for fear of rolling my ankle.....that's how sharp they were. They lasted through 3 games before I even thought about getting them done again.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Alot of the time the guy sharpening the skates has no clue what he's doing. It's just the kid from the cash register running your blades along the sharpener a few times. Granted there are alot of guys who do know what they're doing, but I'd rather take my skates to a places thats known for hockey equipment
I used to get them sharpened at Sportswap and then for one game I used the sharpening machine and it felt like I was skating in new skates. Right now when I get it sharpened from Sportswap, I feel like I have no grip on the ice. I wipe out while doing crossovers or doing a sudden stop. Even when accelerating, it doesn't get any grip on it. I guess the sharpening is fine if you only skate for recreation but when you want to be the first to the puck, you would need some good grip while trying to accelerate as fast as you can.

Also, how about getting sharpened at the Crowchild Arena? They have a pro shop there. I think my coach mentioned something about getting it sharpened at something Bauer arena, is that the one near U of C?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobyhy View Post
I used to get them sharpened at Sportswap and then for one game I used the sharpening machine and it felt like I was skating in new skates. Right now when I get it sharpened from Sportswap, I feel like I have no grip on the ice. I wipe out while doing crossovers or doing a sudden stop. Even when accelerating, it doesn't get any grip on it. I guess the sharpening is fine if you only skate for recreation but when you want to be the first to the puck, you would need some good grip while trying to accelerate as fast as you can.

Also, how about getting sharpened at the Crowchild Arena? They have a pro shop there. I think my coach mentioned something about getting it sharpened at something Bauer arena, is that the one near U of C?
Ya I'd trust the pro shop at Crowchild...though it's never open when I play there. Father David Bauer is the place your coach is referring too. It's where the national team was housed all those many years ago
Old 11-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
SarichFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You shouldn't want skates too sharp though... I hate that feeling.

Honestly, the best sharpening i've ever had was at those machine operated deals at most rec centers. Normal sharpness gets er done.
SarichFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #12
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

As a goalie, I think I sharpen mine once a year lol. But then I'm odd like that
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #13
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarichFan View Post
You shouldn't want skates too sharp though... I hate that feeling.

Honestly, the best sharpening i've ever had was at those machine operated deals at most rec centers. Normal sharpness gets er done.
I did that few times and those were great well at least better than the sharpens at Sportswap. Anyway, I'd prefer abit more sharp because I like the feeling of being gripped on to the ice when I'm trying to accelerate or when I'm doing a sharp angled crossovers.

Quote:
Father David Bauer is the place your coach is referring too. It's where the national team was housed all those many years ago
Anyone got a sharpen from there? How is it? Also where is Father David Bauer arena?

Also I think my coach mentioned something about getting my skates rocked up forward or something since I'm a center not defence. Anyone know what this means?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #14
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're a goalie, do NOT go to Canadian Tire! The idiot sharpened my goalie skates like regular player skates, I couldnt shuffle for about two weeks after that, man was I pissed!

I forget the name of the place, but if you live around MacLeod Tr and Heritage Drive, I used to take em to this shoe store on Elbow Drive somewhere between Heritage Dr and Chinook Dr, I think it was called Kingsland Shoe Repair or something like that. Its a Middle Eastern couple that owns it and the guy used to do my skates for me. Only charged me $3, would take his time with them to make sure they were money, and they always came out awesome. I havent lived in Calgary for three years, I miss that guy.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #15
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The guy a Centennial Arenas does a nice job.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like people have said, going to places like Sport Check and Canadian Tire are really hit and miss.

I used to work at Canadian Tire and I had people request for me when they brought their skates in to be sharpened. I've seen some of the part-time guys (even full-time guys) not give a hoot and do a poor job on the skates. After I left CT I would only get my skates sharpened by one specific person as I trained him to sharpen skates. When he quit CT and got a job at Sport Mart I would go to Sport Mart. Now that he is out of retail I go to a local shop that has a good reputation for sharpening skates (Bert & Mac's for those of you living in Lethbridge).
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #17
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
If you're a goalie, do NOT go to Canadian Tire! The idiot sharpened my goalie skates like regular player skates, I couldnt shuffle for about two weeks after that, man was I pissed!

The Canadian tire I worked at didn't have the proper stone to do Goalie skates, but I had seen a few people bring in their skates. I told a few people that we don't have the proper equipment to do goalie skates, but I had seen on a few occasions some goalie skates being "sharpened".
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone got a sharpen from there (Father David Bauer Arena)? How is it? Also where is Father David Bauer arena?

Also I think my coach mentioned something about getting my skates rocked up forward or something since I'm a center not defence. Anyone know what this means?
Can anyone answer this question?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope04 View Post
The guy a Centennial Arenas does a nice job.
This guy is one of the only ones I'll let do my skates. I love the job he does (there are a couple of Junior A trainers who do a great job too, but I rarely see them).

The big benefit to a GOOD sharpen is consistency and the lack of a break-in time. Why should you need to prep your skates again, after having them done?

Tuxedo sharpens the skates WAY too sharp. Think break-ankles if stop and then some.... Some like it that sharp, not me! I prefer to be able to stop.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #20
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Can anyone answer this question?
Yeah your rocker is the basically how much blade is on the ice when standing straight up. More blade = more speed, less agility, worse in turn etc.. Less blade = less speed but way more agility and turning ability.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote