Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #141
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
I was thinking about creating a new thread about this, but decided to post it here - well, I admit it's pure speculation. The thing is that according to the Flames website some players "grew up" an inch right before the deadline, notably:

- Backlund was 6'0 all the time, now he's listed at 6'1 200
(there's no way he's that big in my opinion)
- Bouma was 6'1 for a few years, now listed at 6'2
- Smid was 6'3 for his entire career yet suddenly he is 6'4
- Jones: 6'2 before, 6'3 now
- Monahan: 6'2 before, 6'3 now

The only player where the change is not suspicious is Monahan as it's very common to grow one inch as 18/19 year old. On the other hand Johnny is still listed at 157lbs which is basically his pre-draft weight.

Could this be a part of showcasing ? Source:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/roster.htm
I always take website listing with a grain of salt. I am 6 foot on a good day and I played university football. They consistently listed me 6'3-6'4 on their site which I found funny. Obviously not a professional team but I never knew why they did that when they did record our heights accurately in testing
Old 02-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #142
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

General Fanager shows the amount of AAV (full-season cap hit) that every team is projected to be able to add at the deadline: http://www.generalfanager.com/teams

The only teams who don't have enough space to take on Hiller's full contract at the deadline are: Vancouver, St Louis, Tampa, Pittsburgh, LA, Minnesota, and Chicago. These are also the only teams that don't have the room for Hudler or Jones; of those, Chicago and Minnesota would have enough room for Russell.

The Flames could retain up to half the value of up to three contracts. Also, if they take any contracts back in a trade, that reduces the amount the other team is adding.

For example, if San Jose was interested in Hiller, Stalock would likely be part of the package coming back. In that case, San Jose would only be increasing their cap by $2.9 million, which they have room for.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #143
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Unsure because of their spot in the standings? Or unsure because of the life cycle of their franchise (not a contender, still retooling, etc)? The thing is a lot of GM's know that if you make the playoffs anything can happen.

I feel like a lot of GM's are optimists not realists. We saw this with Feaster here who blabbed on about intellectual honesty and that we should be sellers if the team didn't show him enough and then he still doesn't sell after they lose some key games and didn't look like they had a realistic shot.

Any team that is like 4 points out that has some reasonable excuse as to why they are that low (injuries, bad luck, w/e) and feels they can make the playoffs probably won't hesitate to add depending on cost. I mean the fringe teams may not be the ones adding the highest profile UFAss but they may still shop for depth at a lower price and picks up lesser UFAs for mid round draft picks. Obviously the fringe teams are unlikely to mortgage the future completely for just a chance at the playoffs but that doesn't mean they won't be "buyers" and won't affect the market. Just the fact that they aren't sellers will help the sellers as well.

Guess we'll see, we can speculate all we want. But based on how tight the standings are and the history of trade deadline action I see a lot of deals happening and I see UFAs going for decent amounts.
The Flames had no prospects other than Brodie and Backlund. If Feaster would've sold everything off in 2008, the Flames would've iced a WHL team. Feaster was the reason the Flames developed any legit prospects

I would argue he displayed intellectual honesty, but he couldn't very well tell the fans that the cupboard is dry and has to ride mediocrity until the cupboards get filled

Last edited by MarkGio; 02-14-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #144
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
The Flames had no prospects other than Brodie and Backlund. If Feaster would've sold everything off in 2008, the Flames would've iced a WHL team. Feaster was the reason the Flames developed any legit prospects

I would argue he displayed intellectual honesty, but he couldn't very well tell the Flames that the cupboard is dry and has to ride mediocrity until the cupboards get filled
You're all over the place.

1. Feaster wasn't in charge in 2008, that was Darryl Sutter
2. Feaster was exposed for not being intellectually honest the year he coined that phrase (2011-12 I think)
3. Feaster only sold off when basically forced to because of Iginla's UFA status

I mean I don't hate Feaster but the guy stuck his foot in his mouth several times in Calgary. He coined the phrase intellectual honesty and he went on record saying he wouldn't be the GM of a rebuild and then he was forced into rebuilding but wasn't intellectually honest enough to start it when it should have been started. I mean you can't call him intellectually honest if you followed his time here closely, I don't see how you could.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #145
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think there's more then one way to approach a rebuild and each approach has its merits. For the Flames in 2008, the writing was on the wall that they needed to rebuild, Feaster new, but ownership gave him the marching orders to try to make the playoffs. It's an eerily similar situation to what the Nucks find themselves in at the moment.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #146
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nill and Holland on the trade deadline:

http://www.mysask.com/portal/site/ma...tte.cachetoken
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #147
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Meh, maybe they are inflated. But Monahan is probably inflated as well. He doesn't look more then a couple inches taller then Backs in the best side by sides I've seen.
Quote:
You're all over the place.

1. Feaster wasn't in charge in 2008, that was Darryl Sutter
2. Feaster was exposed for not being intellectually honest the year he coined that phrase (2011-12 I think)
3. Feaster only sold off when basically forced to because of Iginla's UFA status

I mean I don't hate Feaster but the guy stuck his foot in his mouth several times in Calgary. He coined the phrase intellectual honesty and he went on record saying he wouldn't be the GM of a rebuild and then he was forced into rebuilding but wasn't intellectually honest enough to start it when it should have been started. I mean you can't call him intellectually honest if you followed his time here closely, I don't see how you could.
Yeah I got my year wrong. But even 2011-12 there wasn't any prospects in the system to justify a rebuild.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #148
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nill and Holland on the trade deadline:

http://www.mysask.com/portal/site/ma...tte.cachetoken
That's identical to the cbc article I posted that you replied towards (In disagreement) lol.

Last edited by MarkGio; 02-14-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #149
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I got my year wrong. But even 2011-12 there wasn't any prospects in the system to justify a rebuild.
Huh? A rebuild isn't justified by prospects. A rebuild is called for when you are intellectually honest and realize that your best players are declining and/or close to retiring (Kiprusoff) and that you need to trade them now to acquire good prospects to jumpstart the rebuild so it doesn't take 7-10 years. Doing this helps you by acquiring the prospects and picks from trading your best players while also making your team worse which makes your own 1st rounder more valuable and more likely to land your next franchise player. Feaster arguably did this a year too late and arguably failed to get good value for Iginla. It's unclear how much he had his hands tied by ownership but then he shouldn't be spouting off about intellectual honesty and selling off players if it was an empty threat.

It's like you have it backwards. You don't start a rebuild when you have good prospects. You rebuild when your team can't contend anymore and now you need to acquire good prospects.

Somehow I get the feeling we aren't going to agree on much lol.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 04:17 PM   #150
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
That's identical to the cbc article I posted that your replied towards (I disagreement) lol.
whoops! bad memory I guess
Old 02-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #151
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Huh? A rebuild isn't justified by prospects. A rebuild is called for when you are intellectually honest and realize that your best players are declining and/or close to retiring (Kiprusoff) and that you need to trade them now to acquire good prospects to jumpstart the rebuild so it doesn't take 7-10 years. Doing this helps you by acquiring the prospects and picks from trading your best players while also making your team worse which makes your own 1st rounder more valuable and more likely to land your next franchise player. Feaster arguably did this a year too late and arguably failed to get good value for Iginla. It's unclear how much he had his hands tied by ownership but then he shouldn't be spouting off about intellectual honesty and selling off players if it was an empty threat.

It's like you have it backwards. You don't start a rebuild when you have good prospects. You rebuild when your team can't contend anymore and now you need to acquire good prospects.

Somehow I get the feeling we aren't going to agree on much lol.
I think that's one way to doing it. Look at Vancouver, they have Baertschi, Virtanen and Horvat developing at the NHL level while having "over-the-hill" Sedins and Vrbrata hold the fans over who desire a competitive hockey club. It's rebuild on the fly vs. scorched earth. I think a rebuild is very much justified on what parts you have to build from.

I think to say there's only one way to rebuild a franchises core assets is naïve or arrogant.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #152
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that's one way to doing it. Look at Vancouver, they have Baertschi, Virtanen and Horvat developing at the NHL level while having "over-the-hill" Sedins and Vrbrata hold the fans over who desire a competitive hockey club. It's rebuild on the fly vs. scorched earth. I think a rebuild is very much justified on what parts you have to build from.

I think to say there's only one way to rebuild a franchises core assets is naïve or arrogant.
That's a very narrow way of describing the different rebuilds going on when there's a spectrum between the two choices. For example Buffalo would be a great recent example of scorched earth, and the Flames closer to the middle where top players were traded away but veterans used to tie the team over until the drafted prospects had more experience under their belt.

Right now Vancouver's on the fly attempt is merely attempting to accelerate and eliminate the in-between of waiting for prospects to be nhl regulars by trading off 2nd round picks in return for young incomplete projects. The margin for high end returns becomes much less.

There's definitely no right way to rebuild but you can certainly go about it in a poor way. Edmonton's scorching and salting the earth with poor culture, management and supporting cast is one. With Vancouver using middling 1st rounders and 2nds for last chance potentials aren't likely to give you career NHL players.

Last edited by Anduril; 02-14-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #153
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
That's a very narrow way of describing the different rebuilds going on when there's a spectrum between the two choices. For example Buffalo would be a great recent example of scorched earth, and the Flames closer to the middle where top players were traded away but veterans used to tie the team over until the drafted prospects had more experience under their belt.

Right now Vancouver's on the fly attempt is merely attempting to accelerate and eliminate the in-between of waiting for prospects to be nhl regulars by trading off 2nd round picks in return for young incomplete projects. The margin for high end returns becomes much less.

There's definitely no right way to rebuild but you can certainly go about it in a poor way. Edmonton's scorching and salting the earth with poor culture, management and supporting cast is one. With Vancouver using middling 1st rounders and 2nds for last chance potentials aren't likely to give you career NHL players.
I never implied there was only 2 ways to rebuild; I don't what I said was narrow minded at all. One could argue that Chicago moving from Sharp and Saad as two core assets to Panarin and Amisimov was a form of rebuilding
Old 02-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #154
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never implied there was only 2 ways to rebuild; I don't what I said was narrow minded at all. One could argue that Chicago moving from Sharp and Saad as two core assets to Panarin and Amisimov was a form of rebuilding
And then one could argue any and all trades are a form of rebuilding as long as older player moves out and a younger player takes a spot.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #155
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
And then one could argue any and all trades are a form of rebuilding as long as older player moves out and a younger player takes a spot.
Now you are being philosophical. I don't mean that in a derogatory way either

Last edited by MarkGio; 02-14-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #156
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now you are being philosophical. I don't mean that in a derogatory way either
Yeah, I'd say that most people would look at the Sharo/Saad departure as strictly cap victims instead of rebuilding since the rebuilding term indicates a change in the foundation IMO.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:31 PM   #157
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the Sharp/Saad/Oduya moves were restructuring the cap structure of the team. Basically just retooling around the core of Kane/Toews/Hossa/Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmersson.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #158
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Of all the types of rebuilds I think the one Vancouver is attempting is by far the worst. I think you'd have to be extremely fortunate to make that work.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #159
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Of all the types of rebuilds I think the one Vancouver is attempting is by far the worst. I think you'd have to be extremely fortunate to make that work.
It's really hard to let go of iconic players. We all saw that with Iginla, but the Canucks are going through that with 2 marquee players. Hopefully they make the same mistake we did and it hurts twice as bad.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #160
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only team in the league that seems to be able to retool on the fly time and time and time again is Detroit. Its amazing. They never liquidate their Core Veterans or get top ten picks and yet are always competitive.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 02-14-2016 at 08:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread