Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 02-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #61
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Re: Sarich

The Flames had some talented teams back then and were held back by constantly playing Bouwmeester and Giordano with Sarich. Sarich might have had some positives that people who love physical play loved but people really forget how much of a shackle he was on overall team play. We also paid him like a top 4 guy when he should have been a third pair guy at best. He wasn't Chris Butler bad but he was a blight on this team with how we used him. The Brent Sutter era was not a pleasant era and only had a few positives and Sarich was not one of them. I don't think it's a coincidence Sarich and Hartley never saw eye to eye and while Hartley had his flaws, he was still a coach who kind of favoured the skill game like I do.

Maybe Sarich was more effective before the lockout, when you could basically bearhug guys defensively and there was no two line pass. I don't doubt it. But I never loved him in his time here and if fans of his intangibles take exception to that, it's their right but let's not act like he was Regehr or Hamonic.
Cory Sarich's best two seasons in terms of Point Shares came with the Flames after the lockout, and he consistently had positive possession numbers while he was here (every year but the Hartley year, and only Mikael Backlund was positive that year). To say he was more effective before the lockout isn't borne out by the numbers. He wasn't Regehr, but Sarich's numbers in Calgary are similar to what Hamonic has produced while he's been a Flame.

There's just no way you can favorably compare Dalton Prout to Cory Sarich.
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #62
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
Cory Sarich's best two seasons in terms of Point Shares came with the Flames after the lockout, and he consistently had positive possession numbers while he was here (every year but the Hartley year, and only Mikael Backlund was positive that year). To say he was more effective before the lockout isn't borne out by the numbers. He wasn't Regehr, but Sarich's numbers in Calgary are similar to what Hamonic has produced while he's been a Flame.

Prout.: 6'3" 215
Sarich: 6'4" 207

He's 8 lbs better
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #63
Snapshot
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Prout.: 6'3" 215
Sarich: 6'4" 207

He's 8 lbs better
I laughed way too hard in my office at that.
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #64
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post

Where do you believe a ~30 year old Cory Sarich would slot on this team's defense core?

Top 4 ahead of one of Giordano, Hanifin, Brodie, Hamonic?
Top 6-8 ahead of one to three of Valimaki/Kylington/Andersson/Stone?

I think Sarich would be what Prout is now, a #9D on our present roster.

Beyond that I never said Prout is a better player than Sarich, nor do I care if he is or isn't.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #65
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where do you believe a ~30 year old Cory Sarich would slot on this team's defense core?

Beyond that I never said Prout is a better player than Sarich, nor do I care if he is or isn't.
I think he'd slot above Prout, let's put it that way. 28 year old Sarich (Prout is 28) was on the TB Lightning after winning a Cup three years earlier.

Sarich was a 4-5 on a pretty good Calgary team. Behind Phaneuf, Reg, Aucoin, ahead of Erikkson, Warrener, Vandermeer.

Betcha San Jose remembers him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 03:33 PM   #66
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

30 year old Sarich would probably be 5/6 on this current roster for sure.

In 08/09 Sarich had 2 goals and 20 points, was a +12, with 112 PIMs and 134 hits.

His 0.76 CF Relative was 2nd on the team (55.96% CF%), and also had a 58% GF% and a 55.45% HDCF%. Had the 3 highest defensive zone starts on the team after Aucoin and Regehr.

He was pretty much what Travis Hamonic is to this team, but for that 08/09 team.

So with that in mind he easily replaces Stone/Prout. And you'd probably see Valimaki/Kylington rotating in at LD, and Andersson/Sarich rotating in at RD.

This is also considering that he would be taking advantage of the current NHL standards for fitness, etc. So would likely be a bit more mobile than he was was back in
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #67
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough. Personally I think Stone is a better defenseman than Sarich though. Better first pass, better shot, comparable defensively.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #68
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Stone reminds me of Sarich in more ways than one.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #69
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man... Sarich in his prime was a beast. He will forever be in my good books for what he did to Marleau in the '08 playoffs.

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:54 PM   #70
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Fair enough. Personally I think Stone is a better defenseman than Sarich though. Better first pass, better shot, comparable defensively.
Sarich's closest comparable on the current roster is Hamonic. He was a better player than Stone - by a fair bit IMO - and I think you are selling him way short.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #71
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. Stone's first pass is bad. Sarich's was OK.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote