Exp:

Also V8 IS

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...port-revealed/
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:53 PM   #1342
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's my age showing, but I'd definitely take a naturally aspirated V8 Lexus over that soap shaped 4-banger of a C-Class. The only thing it's missing is the manual.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 03:23 PM   #1343
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I really like that Ioniq 5, makes me look forward to their electric sedan!
Old 02-23-2021, 03:44 PM   #1344
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mercedes' designs since 2018 and later have really put me off, they're so bland.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #1345
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I really like that Ioniq 5, makes me look forward to their electric sedan!
I think all the images we've seen so far are renders but if that is representative of the real vehicle then home run. I love the way it looks inside and out.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:43 PM   #1346
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Mercedes has always had pretty unappealing interiors. Good to see all their hard work has kept the tradition alive in this modern age.

I really really miss buttons everywhere. Half the fun of a new car with a button filled interior was finding out what everything did. I still remember the time I said "what's this?" and found out the used car I just bought had a power rear sun shade.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #1347
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Considerably cheaper as no additional hardware like buttons, knobs, switches or their associated wiring harnesses or circuit boards are required. Overhead is reduced considerably as all these features are handled by the display software. It's the current trend for sure and I don't have anything against the LCD screens for the most part as I like configurable cockpits. I just find the more I have to use touch screens in motion, the worse of a driver I become. I would hate to have a close call with a pedestrian because I was fumbling trying to change interior temperature with a software slider.
Driving a car with a touch screen is my nightmare. Already glued to some digital screen in every aspect of life otherwise. The car is the sanctuary, the reminder that existence is tangible, and life is lived in real dimension. The day I pay to put my phone down, walk away from my work computer, ignore the tv and head out to share a beautiful drive with another goddamn screen is the day I’ll probably kill myself.

It’ll also be really fun to see how quickly hardware and software support these these kinds of thing.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:23 AM   #1348
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Driving a car with a touch screen is my nightmare. Already glued to some digital screen in every aspect of life otherwise. The car is the sanctuary, the reminder that existence is tangible, and life is lived in real dimension. The day I pay to put my phone down, walk away from my work computer, ignore the tv and head out to share a beautiful drive with another goddamn screen is the day I’ll probably kill myself.

It’ll also be really fun to see how quickly hardware and software support these these kinds of thing.
I tend to call it the new version version of distracted driving. You can't talk on your phone but it's okay to fiddle around with all the features on the screen.

GM first tried with their 87 Buick Rivera and drivers rejected it.

I would prefer if my next vehicle didn't have but I know I won't get that choice other that having to pay for all those extras and not using it.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:26 AM   #1349
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Mercedes has always had pretty unappealing interiors. Good to see all their hard work has kept the tradition alive in this modern age.

I really really miss buttons everywhere. Half the fun of a new car with a button filled interior was finding out what everything did. I still remember the time I said "what's this?" and found out the used car I just bought had a power rear sun shade.
Agreed, the worst part of their cars.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:38 AM   #1350
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

So this guy creates a bolt-on Koenigsegg FreeValve system for his 1.6 litre Miata, and promises to release his design to the public for further development.

Forget superchargers and turbos - will we some day see FreeValve conversion kits for popular tuner cars?

BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 09:24 AM   #1351
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

My dream car is a Spyker C8, solely for the interior:
NSFW!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #1352
SilverKast
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm pretty excited for this. I'm a huge Toyota guy - I've always drive 4runners, Tacomas, Tundras, Corollas and especially Landcruisers. I had been considering the German cars for my next car (M3, M340i, RS3 or 7, AMG's) but this would check a lot of boxes for me. I really love the Toyota/Lexus reliability and lower maintenance and operating costs in comparison to others.

When I started to look at some of the BMW and Mercedes cars I was a little turned off by the high cost of ownership. I figured maybe it would be the type of car I would just buy brand new and then sell before warranty was up. I was aiming for the new M3 CS in an AWD variant so that I could drive it all winter.

But this new Lexus is pretty appealing - I love that NA V8. A full on IS F would be nice too, it looks like they will eventually bring one out based on their new performance tiers. In the meantime this F Sport Performance would be a lot of fun too. I'm just wondering how it would be in the winter here with a set of winter tires on it. Whatever I buy I'm driving all year because I don't feel like sitting it all winter. I do have my old FJ62 that I can drive if it gets really bad out - it's totally restored with a 5.3L LS V8 anyways.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #1353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious what the left, up, down, and spin switches do, and why there is no right.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:14 AM   #1354
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
My dream car is a Spyker C8, solely for the interior:
NSFW!
The exterior's pretty cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
But this new Lexus is pretty appealing - I love that NA V8. A full on IS F would be nice too, it looks like they will eventually bring one out based on their new performance tiers. In the meantime this F Sport Performance would be a lot of fun too. I'm just wondering how it would be in the winter here with a set of winter tires on it. Whatever I buy I'm driving all year because I don't feel like sitting it all winter. I do have my old FJ62 that I can drive if it gets really bad out - it's totally restored with a 5.3L LS V8 anyways.
Kind of depends on the price point. It would need to be way cheaper than a v8 LC500 to be worthwhile. That has the same engine and presumably transmission and is in all other ways superior to an IS.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #1355
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The exterior's pretty cool too.

Yeah they are gorgeous. I actually prefer this one (nsfw due to sexiness and image size):
NSFW!

Alas, my used SportWagen will have to do.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #1356
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that old timey interior, but those intakes are ugly.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #1357
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually feel the sweet spot of modern Mercedes interiors was their ~2014 refresh. I really liked the interior on my 2014 E-Class (having the full leather dash package helped).
Old 02-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #1358
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I actually feel the sweet spot of modern Mercedes interiors was their ~2014 refresh. I really liked the interior on my 2014 E-Class (having the full leather dash package helped).
That is nice, except for the plastic phone keypad thing beside the radio controls. I have that in my CLS and it looks a little cheap and I've used it zero times so it takes up a lot of real estate for no reason. Other than that, I agree. The screen is very easy to control with the wheel and since it's not a touch screen it doesn't look all disgusting. Physical buttons for everything is great, too.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:26 PM   #1359
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That is nice, except for the plastic phone keypad thing beside the radio controls. I have that in my CLS and it looks a little cheap and I've used it zero times so it takes up a lot of real estate for no reason. Other than that, I agree. The screen is very easy to control with the wheel and since it's not a touch screen it doesn't look all disgusting. Physical buttons for everything is great, too.
That was the first thing I thought of - the ugly key pad in my wife's old GL... I even tried using it and just couldn't bring myself to punch in a phone number hahaha.

That said, I think the interior of the current GLS and GLE is an absolute home run and maybe the pinnacle of MB interior design from a purely aesthetic standpoint... Certainly better than the "lets go even bigger" tablet in the latest S and C classes
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #1360
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's a legacy hold-over for old people who don't like the COMAND knob.