Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #7861
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Like Ovechkin right?
huh? Ovi is one of the best goal scorers of all time. Johnny is nothing close to him in any aspect and I love Johnny.
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #7862
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You don't trade a player with the talent of Gaudreau because of the myth that he "can't win in the playoffs".

Now, if Gaudreau won't sign an extension, then you should trade him before you lose him for nothing, or if someone offers you something you can't turn down then sure.

Has Gaudreau struggled in the playoffs so far? Yes. But lots of players did too......until they didn't. So like I said, unless you're forced to trade him, or can replace his talent, you keep him and hope he figures it out.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #7863
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You don't trade a player with the talent of Gaudreau because of the myth that he "can't win in the playoffs".

Now, if Gaudreau won't sign an extension, then you should trade him before you lose him for nothing, or if someone offers you something you can't turn down then sure.

Has Gaudreau struggled in the playoffs so far? Yes. But lots of players did too......until they didn't. So like I said, unless you're forced to trade him, or can replace his talent, you keep him and hope he figures it out.
Thing is, it’s not just “won’t sign an extension”. His NTC, which is very favourable to him, kicks in next year.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #7864
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

He's also about the 55th best paid player in the NHL.

That's not what you pay to a player you expect to be the centerpiece of a championship team.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #7865
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Thing is, it’s not just “won’t sign an extension”. His NTC, which is very favourable to him, kicks in next year.
And also what that extension contract looks like.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #7866
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

You need to trade good players to get good players unless your dealing with Chia. I personally love Johnny but the Flames just really dont have a whole lot that would get the conversation going on a trade that would be of any consequence. We dont have many sexy players people want. Your either moving Chucky or Packaging Mono with a prospect or moving Johnny. Nobody wants anything else from us.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #7867
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start working on an extension now. Have one agreed to and in place to sign or else trade him before the NMC kicks in.

He won’t agree to a deal and the minute he can sign it say “just kidding I just didn’t want to get traded”
Old 02-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #7868
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And also what that extension contract looks like.
His last negotiation was probably the hardest Treliving’s had, especially considering Johnny’s relative lack of power, so I imagine he’s not looking forward to it this time. Treliving loves to be in the drivers’ seat on those things.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #7869
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Like Ovechkin right?
Very good comparison.

One has 19 points in 30 career playoff games and is -8.

One has 131 points in 139 career playoff games and is +10.

Johnny is not built for playoff hockey and isn’t worth a massive new contract.
He needs to be moved for assets while you can. He’s a great complimentary player but not an alpha you can build a team around.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #7870
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Very good comparison.

One has 19 points in 30 career playoff games and is -8.

One has 131 points in 139 career playoff games and is +10.

He needs to be moved for assets while you can. He’s a great complimentary player but not an alpha you can build a team around.
That doesn't mean you need to get rid of him, it just means you still need to get the alpha.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #7871
3rd Degree
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
That doesn't mean you need to get rid of him, it just means you still need to get the alpha.
How do you acquire a stud center and have enough money to pay him without moving Johnny? Remember, after next season Johnny will want a huge long term deal. If you eat half of Johnny’s remaining deal, imagine what he would be worth to a contender. He is too small to dominate in the playoffs since he doesn’t have the requisite grit like a Patrick Kane for instance.

Ask yourselves:

1. Are the flames likely to go on a deep run this year?

2. If not, would it make sense to retool by shipping out expiring contracts before the expansion draft?

3. How sick are you of middling mediocrity?

Something needs to change now or we’ll end up in a situation similar to before this rebuild when you lost Iggy and Kipper for nothing. You need to maximize your assets or you go nowhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd Degree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #7872
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Do you really believe that GMs aren't humans who are affected by recency bias and hockey fans? There are myriad examples of player value fluctuating significantly based on season to season play.
The way I would approach it if I were a GM looking to acquire a player I would to look at as much as you possibly could, not just the past handful of games or quarter season and let that sway my evaluation.

I don’t think Gaudreau’s start to this season has any significant effect on his trade value.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #7873
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
huh? Ovi is one of the best goal scorers of all time. Johnny is nothing close to him in any aspect and I love Johnny.
That was not my point. My point was the same thing was said for years about Ovechkin, you can't win with him as the main guy in the playoffs and yet they did.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:27 PM   #7874
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was not my point. My point was the same thing was said for years about Ovechkin, you can't win with him as the main guy in the playoffs and yet they did.
I don’t remember them saying that at all. There was one season where he looked like he’d given up trying hard and people were writing him off, but that lasted just the one season.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #7875
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Reminds me of the way people around here used to talk about Jay Bouwmeester. Anyone who knows anything knows you can’t win with that guy, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:35 PM   #7876
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tkachuk and Monahan for Eichel if that entices Buffalo might be where you have to start.

I think of the top forwards, Gaudreau, Lindholm and Mangiapane are the ones worth holding onto to be the complementary guys for that A-level center you bring back.

Eichel and Gaudreau together would be an elite pairing.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #7877
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Yup. That doesn't mean he can't have success in the playoffs. With the right star center, Gaudreau could put up some amazing numbers. But him and Yawnahan can't get it done.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #7878
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Reminds me of the way people around here used to talk about Jay Bouwmeester. Anyone who knows anything knows you can’t win with that guy, right?
I think it was fair to say he wasn’t going to be your star D on a cup winning team. He found a good role a with the Blues, with a really good D corps. Here’ the expectations were not accurate.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #7879
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think it was fair to say he wasn’t going to be your star D on a cup winning team. He found a good role a with the Blues, with a really good D corps. Here’ the expectations were not accurate.

I think that is a lot of hindsight is 20/20.
I think the expectations initially were fair. He was coming off 4 straight ~40 point seasons from Florida, not necessarily a strong team (they did have Jokinen though) where he was considered elite. He just didn't live up to those expectations with a flames sweater.

I did like Bouw as a flame though, unlike some. Glad he got a cup with the blues.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #7880
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
How do you suggest they do that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread