Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #61
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think Lazar had more expectations put on him because Calgary gave up a 2nd for him; Czarnik was essentially 'free', with the caveat of cap implications and opportunity costs in signing him.

Lazar does have the asset of speed going for him, so even if he doesn't score, he could be invaluable as part of an energy line... possible upside to chip in a few here and there makes him a possible call up for the playoff run imo
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #62
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's been mentioned on this site over and over by many posters and I share the opinion: I just plain like the kid. I really want to see him succeed. He's so close to being a useful NHL player but he just can't seem to take that final step and stay there. Here's hoping he still does, and though he's only 23 years old, I feel like he is running out of chances. I think he must feel that too.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #63
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Now that is a good point. I can see that as a possibility.

He may not play many or any regular season NHL games but I could see him sneaking onto the NHL team for the playoffs because of his physicality.
Yeah, although they'll likely want to give him some games before the playoffs, if they're considering him. Get to know the possible linemates etc. Plus Lazar hasn't played under Peters yet I think.

Oh, and apparently he's been putting up PP points in Stockton. Given our woes with PP2, that's another little thing that might help him earn a look.

So, still a chance for him. After all, you don't have to be good, just slightly better than the competition
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #64
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
...It wouldn't take much for Lazar to push himself into the 4th line for the playoffs, especially since he's a bit more physical than any of the above, and has more NHL experience than all of them combined, including a few playoff games.
Alan Quine has played 10 playoff games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #65
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
He's not better than someone like Andrew Mangipane who has zero points in the NHL? The Flames spent a 2nd round pick on Lazar. You might as well give him a few games to see if you want to keep that asset. Especially when Mangiapne, Dube, Quine, Lomberg and Lazar all seem interchangeable at this point.

Who knows, maybe Lazar might throw a big hit and get you off your seat.
The second is a sunk cost that shouldn’t be factored in
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #66
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Alan Quine has played 10 playoff games.
He also had 5 points in those 10 games and 4 in 9 for us this year. I think thats pretty good production maybe he would do well on a team with less depth.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #67
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The second is a sunk cost that shouldn’t be factored in
For me it's challenging to ignore that fact as well. Sure, it's a sunk cost but it's also a reason, possibly the only reason, that he's still even with the club at this point so it does need to be factored in.

I like what he's done this year, voluntarily going down to the AHL and working hard - hopefully it has made him a better player. We all know the team could use an additional winger that can play effectively on the bottom 6 and hopefully provide at least some offense.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM   #68
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
His ceiling right now is that of a 4th line forward or 13th forward. So if he moves on and becomes that elsewhere - meh.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. When drafted many thought he had 2nd line upside. He was a sniper in junior, a noted goal scorer. He was rushed and completely lost his offensive confidence. I don’t think he has 2nd line upside anymore but to say his ceiling is s 4th liner? I think that’s underselling his upside. Best case scenario he turns into a Frolik IMO. Two way 3rd line winger. Obviously 4th liner is probably more likely but I think some fans have really underrated his overall upside.

I guess we’ll see. I think he’s shown more than Mangiapane for example. But he’ll need injuries or a trade to really get a chance.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 01:43 PM   #69
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
For me it's challenging to ignore that fact as well. Sure, it's a sunk cost but it's also a reason, possibly the only reason, that he's still even with the club at this point so it does need to be factored in.
The club waived him though after the pre-season so they were prepared to walk away for nothing. So the 2nd doesn't seem to matter to management any longer.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:45 PM   #70
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Best case scenario he turns into a Frolik IMO. Two way 3rd line winger. Obviously 4th liner is probably more likely but I think some fans have really underrated his overall upside.
Upside? Still? This is his fifth pro season, and he has about 250 NHL games under his belt. He's had a chance with two organizations. By far the most likely view is that we already know who Curtis Lazar is, and he will never be anything more than a replacement level player. Those guys aren't too hard to find.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #71
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Upside? Still? This is his fifth pro season, and he has about 250 NHL games under his belt. He's had a chance with two organizations. By far the most likely view is that we already know who Curtis Lazar is, and he will never be anything more than a replacement level player. Those guys aren't too hard to find.
There are endless examples of players who massively improved after age 22. It’s a very regular occurrence. Yeah he’s played a lot but he was also rushed and had mono. There are very good reasons why he’s struggled.

Not saying he’ll break out like Lindholm but that argument you used against Lazar is one I heard several times around the Lindholm trade. He was 23, he had played years in the nhl, he’ll never be better than what he was. It’s a bad argument.

Very few players have peaked at Lazar’s age. Most players develop significantly after his age. Backlund and Gio are two very easy examples of this. This false narrative that players in the 22-23 range can’t improve is repeated way too much on this site. We’ve seen it in the Bennett and Lazar discussions. It needs to be called out for the BS it is. We saw it around the Hanifin and Lindholm trade too and anybody who thought they had peaked and weren’t still developing was dead wrong.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #72
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
His cap hit is higher than all the other options and a recall runs the risk of him being claimed if they try and send him down again.

I think he's stuck in the AHL until after the roster freeze at the end of the year.
Isn't the roster limit lifted at the trade deadline? I'm not 100% sure, but I thought it was...

Either way, wouldn't the flames want Lazar as an option for the playoffs - or at least want to know if he is a legit option for the playoffs if one or two or three players go down with injury. I think they would want to know if Lazar could step in - and if he steps in, does he step in after or before Maniapane? After or before Lomberg? Quine? Dube? Czarnik? etc.

That means, Lazar needs to be up at least 5-10 games BEFORE the deadline so you know if Lazar can now hack it at the NHL level. If so, then he stays up. If not, then he gets traded. You can't call him up too soon, because if you then have to send him down, you might lose him to waivers. You also don't want to call him up too late, because then you don't know what you got with him.

So I would speculate that Lazar comes up in early February and gets 8-10 games in before the deadline.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #73
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Lazar could still be a good piece for this team. He has two things going for him: size and speed.

Even if he doesn't put up big points, he can still be an effective forechecker.

I just don't see the offense in him and I think what he needs to work on more in the AHL is puck protection and cycling the puck rather than "finding his hands" again.

He should be a faster and better Garnet Hathaway with potential to score 15 goals. That's what his role should be.

Honestly, with his size and speed, he should be what Ferland was in that Vancouver series. He should be hitting everything in site and causing havoc on a forecheck. He doesn't have to fight to be effective.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #74
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lost all confidence in this kid, despite his fantastic attitude.

Although someone mentioned in this thread that perhaps Gulutzan is the reason the kid couldn't succeed. Despite my lack of faith in him, I'd be willing to give him one last try under Peters.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #75
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

First he played in Ottawa. Then he played for Glen Gulutzan.

He could be the next Bergeron for all we know.

Last edited by Dajazz; 01-07-2019 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Glen’s fault
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dajazz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #76
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really liked Lazar's attitude at the start of the season.

A line of Lazar-Ryan-Frolik could work.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #77
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajazz View Post
First he played in Ottawa. Then he played for Glen Gulutzan.

He could be the next Bergeron for all we know.
For every season that Curtis Lazar has played in the NHL, Dave Cameron has been one of his coaches.

Maybe we should see how he is when Cameron isn't on the bench.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #78
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I really liked Lazar's attitude at the start of the season.

A line of Lazar-Ryan-Frolik could work.
Allan Walsh would lose his isht!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #79
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Part of the puzzle is what happens when the flames trade for an upgrade in the top 6...whether at C or RW.

Johnny, Monahan, Lindholm
Tkachuk, Backlund, Stone/Ferland/Zuccarello
Bennett, Janko, Neal
Frolik, Ryan, Hathaway

or

Johnny, Monahan, Lindholm
Tkachuk, Duchene/Schenn/Hayes, Bennett
Frolik, Backlund, Neal
Ryan, Janko, Hathaway

Either way, there is no room for Lazar unless there is an injury.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Allan Walsh would lose his isht!
Almost makes it worth it just for that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote