Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2018, 04:50 PM   #841
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Or Lwaxana Troi chasing Picard around the ship endlessly while the Benny Hill music plays.

Ugh, those Lwaxana Troi episodes of TNG always sucked. Easily one of the most annoying characters in the Trek universe.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #842
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh no! Its going to be just Data and Picard sitting in armchairs smoking pipes and sipping whiskey debating matters of the utmost galactic importance like quantum radiation and Riker's debilitating drinking problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Or Lwaxana Troi chasing Picard around the ship endlessly while the Benny Hill music plays.

I'm hoping to see Picard hit by an alien energy beam and waking up thinking he's Captain Kirk. Patrick Stewart impersonating William Shatner would be must-watch TV.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #843
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if this show is gonna pick up Picard's story 16 years after Nemesis, I assume he's probably an admiral or President of the Federation by now.

Then again, perhaps he took Kirk's advice to heart and never left the bridge of the Enterprise.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #844
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'll watch just to see if Stewart breaks out the mythical quintuple take.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #845
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Come on man, just leave it alone.

By the end of Nemisis the whole Trek TNG was pretty much the Picard and Data show, and it abandoned everything that made TNG the least bit interesting, which was what made the original series interesting, which was the interaction of the entire crew and everyone having a moment.

Instead they'd throw us complete garbage episodes, like oh no Beverly has a ghost in her house, or Worf has a concussion after taking a beating, or Riker picks up an alien chick.

I thought that Picard was successful enough that he would say absolutely not to doing another series, and now we're going to have a fat B4, because it is B4, that no amount of spackle can hide his age.

Maybe they're going to do a sitcom where Picard is senile and Data is his man servant

Its the Picard show, don't forget Data
Its the data show, Picard forgot what day it is
One is senile, one is fat
They have adventures, then Picard takes a bath
Its Data hey
Its Picard ho

The Data and Picard show is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #846
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first episode, he retires from Starfleet and moves to the family vineyard in France. It's just 13 episodes a year of Picard kicking back, growing grapes, and making wine. Absolutely no space stuff ever happens.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #847
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And it becomes the worst selling wine in the Federation when Picard calls his wine, a taste of the Captain, and the advertising fails as the slogan is "Nothing is better then drinking down a nice glass of Picard"

Old 08-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #848
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Anyone not excited by this is just a cranky fan.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #849
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Anyone not excited by this is just a cranky fan.

I wouldn't say I'm super excited, but I'm definitely intrigued. I'm a huge fan of the character (and Stewart), and I'll wait until I see a trailer at least before I make any sort of judgement on it. FFS, they haven't even written the script yet. Give it a chance, people.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #850
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Captain on the bridge !!!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-04-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #851
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2018, 07:25 AM   #852
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Capt. Picard: I sincerely hope that this is the last time that I find myself here.

Q: You just don't get it, do you, Jean-Luc? The trial never ends. We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons. And for one brief moment, you did.

Capt. Picard: When I realized the paradox.

Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. *That* is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence.

Capt.Picard: Q, what is it you're trying to tell me?

Q: You'll find out.
There is definitely some cool sci-fi story telling potential with this one. Hopefully they go more cerebral and less whizz-bang action. It would be great to have Discovery as the more main stream action-y show and then they could explore more thoughtful, character-driven storylines with these spinoffs. In any case, I eagerly look forward to the return of one of my all time favorite characters.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #853
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Annnd we're completely redesigning the Klingons

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/0...ngon-redesign/

Old 08-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #854
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

", I promise that we will continue exploring and unpacking and unfolding that infinitely interesting story of what the Klingon culture looks like on a wider level"

Honestly I don't care at all about the Klingons and their culture. I'm done with them. I've been done with them since TNG. Hopefully the redesign makes them look less impractical though. Their clothing was stupid.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #855
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah the funny thing with the Klingons is how much they're changed and evolved

1) TOS - The Klingon's were the jerks of the galaxy, more like pirates then they were a warrior race. They were just there to make trouble.

2) TNG - redesigned, we're a warrior race with an enormous puckered butt on our head. We're all about honor and duty and being angry and drinking prune juice until later on when we learned that Worf really wasn't much of a Klingon, because Klingon's liked to Paaarrty.

3) Deep Space 9 - Dove a bit deeper into their culture, and they actually were probably the best Klingons out there.

4) Enterprise - Oh we're jerks again. We're not that honorable either, and we gave ourselves a virus to make ourselves look more human

5) Discovery - WTF, they look weird, they're heavily over made up to the point where the poor actors just struggled with any kind of facial expression. They're all about religion, and they talk like the native american's in dances with wolves.

6) Discovery 2 - Just a guess, but we're going to meet a race of vertically challenged Klingons who find honor in slamming their giant bulbous heads with glowy things into the testicles of humans. They speak in a high pitched voice and they are responsible for maintaining the universes social media platform Kaplanet.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:41 PM   #856
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a way of talking around "Yeah, they looked dumb in season 1 but we were way too deep to change them so just stuck it out until the end of the season and now they'll look better".
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #857
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm fine with that.

People complained about the way the looked. They listened and now they're changing them. We should be happy they're improving on the weak parts of last season.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #858
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The new Picard show can be a time loop of this every episode

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #859
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Trouble with the Star Trek 4 movie as the negotiations with Pine and Hemsworth fall apart.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...s-fall-1133802

Quote:
Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth are no longer boldly going where no person has gone before.

The two actors were in negotiations to star in Star Trek 4 but sources say that talks between the two actors and the companies making the new installment, Paramount Pictures and Skydance Media, have fallen apart, with both sides walking away from the table.

Quote:
The actors, according to sources, insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #860
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's an unfortunate turn of events. Pine is a good actor, and I actually really like him in the role. This could possibly spell the end of the "Kelvin"/Abrams timeline if the two sides can't work this out. Replacing him with another actor at this point just wouldn't work IMO.

For the record, I thought the last movie was quite good and a significant improvement over the previous film, Into Darkness.

Last edited by direwolf; 08-10-2018 at 11:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: